IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Former Lexus owner looking for 2nd car. I know Lexus but why?

Old 11-21-07, 03:29 PM
Shawn808
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Former Lexus owner looking for 2nd car. I know Lexus but why?

Hello all
I am new to the IS forum as earlier this year I was a SC430 owner. I know they are very different cars but we still share the same brand.

I just got a new job and am now in the market for a 35K-ish car. At first I was thinking of picking up a used SC430 or a used Benz SL500. But part of me also wants a new car. So while looking I found a few that I like. I REALLY want a Lexus but these other car brands are pretty tempting as well. Some have more luxury, more power, AWD etc. I know I am going to get bias opinions here favoring Lexus, but can you tell me why YOU choose the IS over these other cars?

Here are some that I am considering. (all within the 35K-ish price range) All are 2008 models.

Newly redesigned Mercedes C350
Audi A4 sedan (quattro)
New design Audi A5 coupe
BMW 328i sedan
BMW 328i coupe
Lexus IS350

OR

Pre-owned/certified SC430/LS400

I want a Lexus but that new Audi A5 and C350 to me look great too. I need something good on gas, reliable(yes thats why I like Lexus) and something I can drive to my appointments for long distances and not get too tired in yet still have fun. A four door would be nice, but since I have no family yet its not a priority right now.

I test drove all of them except the Audi A5. Went to BMW twice to try the 2 and 4 door Bimmers. The BMW does handle great but seemed cheap compared to the Mercedes and IS. Audi seemed like the best interior and I got many compliments on it from my friends who were with me, they also said the Audi A4 didnt feel so "entry level" as compared to the other cars I was looking at. So to me its kind of a big toss up. All seem like great cars, and I want the Lexus, I just need that extra advice to push me to the IS. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Former Lexus owner looking for 2nd car.  I know Lexus but why?-c300wz_main.jpg  
Old 11-21-07, 03:42 PM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Newly redesigned Mercedes C350 = Well over $35,000, it's starting at almost $37,500
Audi A4 sedan (quattro) = the 2009 is coming up so you may want to wait or take advantage of it's discounted price now
New design Audi A5 coupe = Well over $35,000 as well, starting at $39,000
BMW 328i sedan = Good car but it will be well over your $35,000 budget as well, especially once optioned.
BMW 328i coupe = See the reason for the sedan but add a couple of grand to it
Lexus IS350 = Close to your price range but probably won't find one in that price. The best buy out of all your choices though, It's not a biased opinion, it's pure fact. You get a lot more standard option-wise and 300hp which beats the rest on your list.
Old 11-21-07, 04:09 PM
Yay-Z
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rfx45
Newly redesigned Mercedes C350 = Well over $35,000, it's starting at almost $37,500
Audi A4 sedan (quattro) = the 2009 is coming up so you may want to wait or take advantage of it's discounted price now
New design Audi A5 coupe = Well over $35,000 as well, starting at $39,000
BMW 328i sedan = Good car but it will be well over your $35,000 budget as well, especially once optioned.
BMW 328i coupe = See the reason for the sedan but add a couple of grand to it
Lexus IS350 = Close to your price range but probably won't find one in that price. The best buy out of all your choices though, It's not a biased opinion, it's pure fact. You get a lot more standard option-wise and 300hp which beats the rest on your list.
cosign to the fullest.

But u can get an is250 for 35,000 or a used is350 maybe.

But the other cars will be tough.
Old 11-21-07, 04:20 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i havent had the chance to drive the benz but i think its a great looking car IMO. all would be great cars in different ways. if you are buying new or as a certified used then chose what you like and not was is on paper. many say audi is **** to problems and i never had a problem with mine. i lease all my cars new and dont keep them long but do put a lot of miles traveling for work. you need to find a car that is going to keep you happy on the road and allow you to have fun.

i think you are more in the 40k range with all of those cars when all is said and done.

how would you say the benz drives compared to the others?

good luck on your search!
Old 11-21-07, 04:31 PM
RSMDR
Driver School Candidate

Personally, if I had the choice again, I probabaly wouldn't get an IS. I purchased a 2007 IS 250 in August having traded a 2005 Subaru Outback LL Bean.

My IS has had numerous squeeks, creaks & rattles and so far the dealer hasn't been able to address them all. It's going into the shop next week for Round 3. To be quite honest, my Outback had a higher level of fit-and-finish as compared to the IS.

My wife has a 2004 A4 3.0 (non quattro) and it's a more solid car IMO although I can do without the CVT.

BUT, the Lexus has the reliability ratings that the Germans don't. Just don't be surprised to hear other noises other than the engine, exhaust and stereo.
Old 11-21-07, 04:34 PM
Shawn808
Driver

Thanks for the suggestions and honest input guys. I always knew Lexus owners are honest people.

I think the Benz drove pretty well for what it was. Out of all the cars I think the Audi felt best. The Mercedes had lots of power but it came on very slowly, like a lag between the gas and power curve for some reason. In that aspect it drove allot like my SC430. I like the IS but the Audi is really tempting too esp like rfx45 said with the new model coming out the prices are bound to drop on them. I always felt Lexus had the best interiors but once you sit in an Audi its totally different, sporty yet refined. Ugg that makes it so much harder choice for me.

Well I guess I will go back and see what "out the door" prices I can see.

Thanks for the input!
Old 11-21-07, 05:06 PM
Recluse
Pole Position

Any particular reason you are not also considering the Infiniti G35? Compared to the other cars on your list, it is much closer to the $35K price point, even with a fair number of options.
Old 11-21-07, 05:10 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

i like lexus because of the lack of technical problems. My neighbor was obsessed with BMW, and i dont know why. Every single BMW he bought (3, 335xi, X3 and X5), all were brand new, and had engine trouble in under a year. My sister owned a lexus from 1995 until she crashed it last year, it had over 200,000 miles on it, and the only thing we ever had to do was the scheduled maintenance and oil changes. My dad has a 1999 GS300, and has 170,000 miles on it. it runs and rides like a champ (like its new). all i've seen with german cars (mercedez and bmw) is claimed luxury and perfection, and then after (usually a short time), alot of technical problems, and alot of trips to the dealerships
Old 11-21-07, 05:10 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

U own another Lexus.... You should know why!!!!!! Hehe
Old 11-21-07, 05:36 PM
Shawn808
Driver

I was considering the G35 but dont really like Nissan, feels cheap to me overall and I had bad experiences with Nissan.
Old 11-21-07, 05:38 PM
Dbak
Rookie

The new C350 is really wow. You could even consider the C300 and put some options onto it. I really love the looks of it. Have not driven it yet tho... I have driven the A4 Quattro, which I did like. I also drove the 328i sedan, which I am not very crazy about to tell you the truth. The only way I would like the 328i sedan is if it had the sport package on it because the stock wheels are just too small for the car(even though they are 17's, they look too small in the maybe larger wheelwell compared to other cars in the same class). Haven't driven the 328i coupe, but oh man, I have seen it on the street quite a few times and it is also real looker. Though, it is a coupe, and if you have more then 2 people traveling in that car, it isnt as practical as the other since it isn't in the sport SEDAN class anymore. I have also heard good things about the G35. I would really stick to the IS3350 tho because of the value. You are getting a 5.3 0-60 car, with a great interior (sorry, BMW 3 series interior are too boring for me...), great looks, and the price? If not the Lexus, I would go for the Mercedes, they finally broke out the next generation this year.
Old 11-21-07, 05:46 PM
BlackGhost
Lexus Test Driver

here is thing, If you are looking for a good looking car ,go with c350 ,A4 or A5.
If you are looking for a performance,go with the Bmw whatever.
If you are looking for all(good looking sexy car,great performance,great interior,cheap to maintain) than go with the new IS350.

Just my 2cent opinion
Old 11-21-07, 05:59 PM
Shawn808
Driver

Ok I went on KBB.com and best case scenario. for my 35K I can get:

Base Audi A4 sedan(FWD maybe AWD if I can afford the option)
Lexus IS250 (FWD maybe AWD if I can afford the option)
Base Mercedes C300 (sports sedan)

The BMW and A5 are either not worth it or will cost too much optioned out.

I am looking to buy not lease. But I also can save up money to Mod later. Yes I like to mod my cars. So a good base mod car will also be great.

Thanks for helping me sort though this!
Any ideas/suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails Former Lexus owner looking for 2nd car.  I know Lexus but why?-exterior.par.0109.image.jpg  
Old 11-21-07, 06:19 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the IS250, you need to have two Lexus'. So i could have all Toyota products. I had my dad buy a 08 Tundra, my mom bought a 08 Highlander, and my Nana bought a 08 Scion XD with the TRD package super white with black 18" TRD rims. And i have my IS250 AWD. They all have HID's with Yellow fogs. its pretty cool. SO park your SC430 next to your Is250!!!!!!! Then you can constantly talk to us clubmembers... were quite the group of people!
Old 11-21-07, 06:37 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is $35K your ceiling though? As mentioned, many of the cars you're looking at will go above that price point.

It would have been between the C350 and IS350 for me had the new C-class been out when I needed another car. Perhaps you need to consider what are your priorities when it comes to this next car. Handling, acceleration, comfort, etc?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Former Lexus owner looking for 2nd car. I know Lexus but why?