IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Aftermarket Nav position

Old 11-11-07, 03:23 AM
n8236
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Nav position

So I have a TomTom One XL and i'm having an extremely difficult time finding the ideal place to put it.

I've narrowed it down to two locations: Lower left windshield or top center dash. With each location I am using a different type of mount.

If I were to place it in the lower left windshield, I plan on using this. http://www.ram-mount.com/index_files/rapb104224to5.jpg
The good thing about this mount is that the suction cup has a twist-lock to prevent it from falling off. But leaving a circular residue every time I dismount it is an invitation for theft. But I can clean it off, just extra work.

And if I were to place it on the center console, I plan to use this.
http://www.gpscity.com/item-gpscity....nonskidsuc.htm
It doesn't need to suck on anything, but sit there with its non-skid base. I've read that it works very well, but I have my share of doubts. Also because the TomTom One XL is decently weighed, I'm not sure if this thing would hold up.
Old 11-11-07, 05:49 AM
LexusTexas
Rookie

Hopefully santa will bring me a Garmin 760 or I'll have to shell out for one myself. I'm planning on putting it on the lower left hand side of the windshield using the friction mount you have for the center location. I'm going to run the cord down along the side of the dash and the cord should almost disappear into the crevice between the dash and door panel and then hot wire it into the fuse box using a 12v adapter.

I originally wanted to use a vent mount in the center and wanted to run the power cord through the vent down to the fuse box. I tried stuffing a cord down the center vent to see if it would route to the vents by the gas pedal, but it didn't. Anyone know if this can be done?
Old 11-11-07, 02:08 PM
IronPhoenX
Pole Position

My Nuvi 660...
Old 11-11-07, 06:06 PM
red-5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IronPhoenX
My Nuvi 660...
What kind of mount are you using for that?
Old 11-11-07, 11:01 PM
iameric
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by n8236
So I have a TomTom One XL and i'm having an extremely difficult time finding the ideal place to put it.

I've narrowed it down to two locations: Lower left windshield or top center dash. With each location I am using a different type of mount.

If I were to place it in the lower left windshield, I plan on using this. http://www.ram-mount.com/index_files/rapb104224to5.jpg
The good thing about this mount is that the suction cup has a twist-lock to prevent it from falling off. But leaving a circular residue every time I dismount it is an invitation for theft. But I can clean it off, just extra work.

And if I were to place it on the center console, I plan to use this.
http://www.gpscity.com/item-gpscity....nonskidsuc.htm
It doesn't need to suck on anything, but sit there with its non-skid base. I've read that it works very well, but I have my share of doubts. Also because the TomTom One XL is decently weighed, I'm not sure if this thing would hold up.
i'd put it at the very bottom in the center of your windshield. i had that tom tom and had to make a 850 mile trip i had the tom tom then above that my radar, it worked out quite well.
Old 11-12-07, 12:13 AM
n8236
Pole Position

Iron, I pretty much have mine sitting there at the moment until I find a more permanent solution.

Lexus, are you sure the bean bag mount will sit on the left side? The dash there is sort of slanted unless you push it all the way in which is extremely limited in space.

The center of the dash does have a somewhat flat area, but it does obscure the view just a bit. The left side w/ the Ram mount seems pretty ideal because it's within reach and provides the best viewing. Hmmm, I really wonder if the bean bag would fit to the left. I'm going to investigate some more.
Old 11-12-07, 03:52 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread will probably help you:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=312404
Old 11-12-07, 06:01 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

I have an old (2000) LS400 and have found that the best place to put an aftermarket nav is on a bracket to the right of the radio where it can be seen by the driver and easily used by both the driver and front seat passenger without stretching - much handier than on the windshield.

Although a Pro.Fit Legend bracket like I have is not listed for your IS, I'd bet that the same "MV-50-03-L" model would work since it is used for most other Lexus models that have a similar center stack design: http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Legend/

A question is whether the TomTom will attach to an bracket with the industry standard AMPS hole pattern. My Magellan's cradle has the AMPS hole pattern and attaches to the Pro.Fit bracket perfectly.

I sorta hardwired my Magellan GPS. I bought a $5 extension cable at Target and connected it to the wires leading to the accessory outlet using scotchlock connectors. I plugged the DC cable from the Magellan to the extension cable outlet and hid most of the cables under the carpet on the side of the transmission tunnel. I almost never remove the GPS from the bracket unless I need to use it in a rental car or while walking around. It is hard to see from outside the car due to the tinted windows and I often throw a hat or something over it to hide it.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Nav position-gps-small.jpg  

Last edited by Kansas; 11-13-07 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-15-07, 06:47 PM
IronPhoenX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by red-5
What kind of mount are you using for that?
I used the suction cup mount that came with it. I just jammed it into the ashtray and it holds well there.
Old 11-15-07, 08:17 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Hey all

Well this is not the best picture but all I have really quick. I have my Garmin C550 mounted on the steering colum behind the steering wheel but infront of the tach. I figured its an automatic so I don't need to really see the tach that well.

I have had it there for over a year now and love it. Also its not obvious at all from the outside so I never remove it or worry about it being stollen.

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Nav position-jan05_0005.jpg  
Old 11-28-07, 09:05 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

try this link:

http://www.tomtom.com/products/acces...ory.php?ID=390

I got a 720 also!
planning to remove the ashtray and put in there....
Old 11-28-07, 11:07 AM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Not saying that what you guys are doing is wrong, but isn't it a bit dangerous if you place the navi too low where you have to look down at the navi? Or do you guys just not look down while the car is in motion and just listen to directions?

Just curious.
Old 11-28-07, 01:04 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I just listen to directions.... haha
Old 11-28-07, 01:14 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Horta
Hey all

Well this is not the best picture but all I have really quick. I have my Garmin C550 mounted on the steering colum behind the steering wheel but infront of the tach. I figured its an automatic so I don't need to really see the tach that well.

I have had it there for over a year now and love it. Also its not obvious at all from the outside so I never remove it or worry about it being stollen.

Jerry
look at how fast he's going!!!!!!!
Old 11-28-07, 01:58 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by IronPhoenX
I used the suction cup mount that came with it. I just jammed it into the ashtray and it holds well there.

That's great!
I'd love to hook up my Nuvi 350 like that.
Got a pic with just the suction cup set up in the ashtray?

I have a cup holder mount that workd great in the wife's RAV4.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket Nav position