IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

BUSTED for no front plate.....in rural Texas

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-07, 07:33 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry BUSTED for no front plate.....in rural Texas

It is quite common here for owners to ignore the front plate requirement in those states that require both plates, for 'aesthetic' reasons. My IS has both plates. But I was driving my WRX today from Austin after my wife and I went to the 'Taste of Lexus' event in Austin this morning (very well run, I might add). I was driving on US 290 about 10 miles from Johnson City, in the middle of absolute nowhere, when a Blanco County sherriff pulls out in front of me. I check my speed (70 mph, the speed limit) and notice the trooper is moving slow in front of me. Anyway, I pass him and and he immediately turns his lights on and pulls me over. He cites me for NO FRONT PLATES on my WRX! I had previously had the WRX in Nova Scotia, Canada for 2 1/2 years and they don't require a front plate, and when I brought the car back to TX in August 2006 I didn't reinstall the front plate as required in Texas. OK, call me lazy, but he had me. He just gave me a warning, but just remember, it is a crapshoot as to whether you get pulled over. And once they pull you over it is open season to check, a) driver's license, b) insurance, c) registration, d) booze, or e) anything else that looks 'suspicious' to them. I wasn't hiding anything, but who needs the hassle of getting pulled over and having them run your details through the state's DMV and having them do a virtual 'proctology' exam on your current situation? I DON'T! So on went the front plate this evening.

Everyone can do what they want, of course, but I don't like getting pulled over by the popo's. Sometimes it is easier to just be a good scout and play by the rules.
Old 11-10-07, 07:36 PM
weesped
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hummm, if it was me i would never pass a popo. they can be going 5 miles in a 50 mile zone, n i dare not pass. u know cops love to go on power trips, so dont even give them a reason to pull u over or what not.
Old 11-10-07, 07:39 PM
Sarorn
Driver

I use to live in Saskatchewan, Canada and for the longest time they required a front plate too. The exact situation happend to me. Cops actually followed me to my house and watched me screw my front plates on. I had a riced up Honda Accord back in the day...I offered the cops a glass of lemonade...but they refused.
Old 11-10-07, 07:41 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I usually follow them after they pass me up. I dare not to take the lead.
Old 11-10-07, 07:46 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

The only time I ever got pulled over was in my Z-28. A HiPo in a ....HiPo Z-28! He told me if he had to have a front plate I did too, gave me a warning. I never put it on. I never had the bracket put on my IS (no holes) and so far I've been lucky.
Old 11-10-07, 08:07 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by weesped
hummm, if it was me i would never pass a popo. they can be going 5 miles in a 50 mile zone, n i dare not pass. u know cops love to go on power trips, so dont even give them a reason to pull u over or what not.
not to stray from topic, but isn't it a felony if you're over the limit by 20mph now in the islands?? something new is in effect i heard.
Old 11-10-07, 08:12 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I feel so much safer as a citizen knowing cops pull people over for missing front plates. I just sleep better at night.
Old 11-10-07, 08:26 PM
MPstyle
Driver

I go tpulled over yesterday, for speeding, 73 in a 55. I thought ****, I got so much to write up a "fix it" for...

ANyway they guy did a walk around, even said you know you have to have a plate, told me I looked a litle dark... but then only wrote me up for the speeding and decided to make it 73 in a 65.

I was lucky.
Old 11-10-07, 08:38 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

Oh yeah , when I got pulled over it was IN TOWNby the HiPo.

Last edited by jimmyjazz; 11-10-07 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-10-07, 09:38 PM
weesped
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hapaboy
not to stray from topic, but isn't it a felony if you're over the limit by 20mph now in the islands?? something new is in effect i heard.
i think its 30, if u go 80 n get caught, u'd be arrested. i hope i never get caught i guess. u might get in deep **** for 120 LMAO
Old 11-10-07, 09:38 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Since installing the ft plate is non reversable, I won't install it and take the ticket if necessary. Its a non-moving violation in ticksass anyways. I make it pretty clear that I won't be installing the plate on there either so he has the option of giving me a ticket or simply not worrying about it. One of my supra friends goes home and installs the plates with suckers onto the windshield and takes a picture and goes to have a word with the judge. He's gotten everyone one of them dismissed that ways. I usually just extend the ticket till it gets dismissed or end up paying the $95 for it. I do make it hard for them to get my money but I alos look at it as a wash for how many time I should've been pulled over but didn't.

I think they do need to get a life if that is actually an offense. I'd be targetting the ones who cause traffic jambs by travelling slow in the passing lane.
Old 11-10-07, 09:42 PM
weesped
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by carchitect

I think they do need to get a life if that is actually an offense. I'd be targetting the ones who cause traffic jambs by travelling slow in the passing lane.
THANK u i so agree. i hate those guys that go in the fast lane, n move hella slow
Old 11-10-07, 10:26 PM
Swisha
Pole Position

I got a no front plate ticket today too. Its so stupid cause i drove my bmw for 3 years and had no issues with having a front plate.

And whats crazy is ive already gotten 2 tickets in a month and i barely had the IS for 5 months. i guess theres something about these cars that cops dont like.
Old 11-10-07, 10:39 PM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got pulled over on 1-10 between Kerrville and San Antonio for not having the front license plate. I told the cop that i was headed to the dealership so they could put on the front license plate. which i was actually doing. I don't mind having the front license plate on there. I mean it beats paying for tickets.
Old 11-11-07, 12:20 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carchitect
Since installing the ft plate is non reversable, I won't install it and take the ticket if necessary. Its a non-moving violation in ticksass anyways. I make it pretty clear that I won't be installing the plate on there either so he has the option of giving me a ticket or simply not worrying about it. One of my supra friends goes home and installs the plates with suckers onto the windshield and takes a picture and goes to have a word with the judge. He's gotten everyone one of them dismissed that ways. I usually just extend the ticket till it gets dismissed or end up paying the $95 for it. I do make it hard for them to get my money but I alos look at it as a wash for how many time I should've been pulled over but didn't.

you are really, really weird.

Quick Reply: BUSTED for no front plate.....in rural Texas