IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: What Brand Fuel Injector Cleaner do you use?
Chevron w/ Techron
36.49%
Gumout
1.35%
STP
6.76%
Slick50
2.70%
Other
12.16%
Dont use any Fuel Injector Cleaners
44.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Has Anyone Used A Fuel Injection Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-07, 11:35 PM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDCorolla
Lol, wouldn't it be easier just to go to a Chevron gas station and use their premium grade gas? After all, it's "Chevron w/ Techron".
some places dont have that..like ny..
the only place we got from that list is Shelll
Old 11-12-07, 07:15 AM
maxnix
Driver

Exclamation For Adults Only

BG44K. Techron is a distant second in effectiveness.

BG als makes a rail flush solution to be used with their equipment.

www.bgprod.com

www.bgfindashop.com

Always use a Tier 1 premium from a new high volume station for less UST contamination. Chevron with Techron is the best. Fuel injector cleaners are primarily solvents and detergents. No advantage in alternating brands. BP is not Tier 1. California and AZ cars should pay special attention. If you live in an ethanol area, you should consider a bottle of ISO-HEET every tank or so to keep the moisture ethanol attracts in solution.

Last edited by maxnix; 11-12-07 at 07:23 AM.
Old 11-12-07, 02:06 PM
BlackGhost
Lexus Test Driver

STP baby
Old 11-12-07, 04:37 PM
eddo1
Driver

Chevron with techron worked wonders on this old BMW station wagon that we had with 130k miles. It was a dramatic day and night difference from a putz putz to an actually good power engine. (I am not associated with Chevron in anyway). I don't think it'll make much of a difference in our cars though. Maybe at 60k and then 100k?
Old 11-13-07, 06:39 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gtidan
Save your money and just use a 'top tier' gasoline and don't worry about it.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
Same here.
Old 11-13-07, 07:14 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eddo1
Chevron with techron worked wonders on this old BMW station wagon that we had with 130k miles. It was a dramatic day and night difference from a putz putz to an actually good power engine. (I am not associated with Chevron in anyway). I don't think it'll make much of a difference in our cars though. Maybe at 60k and then 100k?
I've had a couple similar experiences on higher mileage cars that I've purchased, then run a couple bottles of Techroline through it. Very obvious change.
Old 11-13-07, 11:00 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Why is Mobil not on that list??? hmmmm
Old 11-13-07, 11:12 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kingofire
Neither is Exxon.
Old 11-14-07, 04:01 PM
Janizary
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I use Shell V-Power and Lucas Fuel Treatment, though I might need to look into that BG product since we get a fair % of ethenol requirement here.
Old 11-14-07, 11:16 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gtidan
Save your money and just use a 'top tier' gasoline and don't worry about it.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
I agree. There is a Mobil that is closer, but I make it a point to fill up every other time with Chevron (w/ techron). I/we have never had any problems with the injectors gumming up. Unless Lexus recommended a certain product to clean the injectors, I won't use it. I rather be safe than sorry.
Old 11-15-07, 09:16 AM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

I have a friend that works for GasCard. B.S. in Pet. engineering. He said at a refinery everyone gets the same gas (varying by octane). The companies that put additives in put 1 quart for a 5000 gallon tanker. He didn't say what the concentration of the additive was though.
Old 11-15-07, 03:51 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Last weekend I put a bottle of Techron in the wife's RAV4.I do it every 10K miles.She runs regular and uses any brand of gas.
Since I try to use Shell 93 all the time and another major brand's 93 when I have to,I don't bother using Techron or any other cleaner.Maybe at 50K miles I'll throw a bottle in for the hell of it.
Old 11-15-07, 08:49 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kingofire
Originally Posted by Gernby
Neither is Exxon.
Mobil is the same as Exxon; they are owned by the same company. The gasoline is identical at both stations, there is no difference. Perhaps you have heard of the little outfit called Exxon Mobil Corporation???

Top Tier gasoline is a marketing excercise to benefit the people who have signed on to the Top Tier program. From the web site: "The intention of the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards is to create a winning situation for gasoline retailers, auto manufacturers and drivers." When you see words like that, and when the driver comes after retailers and auto manufacturers, you can be sure MARKETING is at its core. The Top Tier idea was not developed for the driver's benefit, it was developed so oil marketers, retailers, and the car manufacturers who signed on to the program could advertise something that would give them a perceived edge in the marketplace from the consumers perspective. Just because Exxon, Mobil, BP or Valero is not on the list doesn't mean their fuels don't mean the same standards, it just means they didn't feel the need to purchase the rights to use the Top Tier label. Don't automatically think a program like Top Tier means you are actually getting a better quality product. If Top Tier was actually better than the others wouldn't the price be higher since supposedly the best, top quality additives are used? Reality shows prices for Top Tier fuels are no higher than non-Top Tier fuels. And one thing is certain, refining companies DO NOT give away anything in their product. It is a tightly controlled business where giving away octane or putting something in the fuel that can't be paid back on the retail level is a cardinal sin.

I've used Exxon and Mobil products about 90% of the time over the last 30 years and have never had any fuel problems either with carburetor, or fuel injected engines, including turbos and high performance motorcycles. So explain to me why I should be using Top Tier fuel in my vehicles?

Last edited by Evitzee; 11-15-07 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-17-07, 10:43 AM
Hoofharted
Driver School Candidate

BG44K. Stuff is great, and cleans carbon too!
Old 11-17-07, 08:01 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm going to give BG a try. I heard great stuff about it. I've been using the Lucas tune up in a bottle. It contains no solvent. I dont think it cleans that well, but supposedly it really does lubricate the upper cylinder. Who knows. My car (GS400) has 134k miles on it already so it was worth a shot.

Quick Reply: Has Anyone Used A Fuel Injection Cleaner