Driving a 250 versus my 350...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-07, 09:39 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving a 250 versus my 350...

< anti-flame on >

So the dealer gave me an 08 IS250 loaner while my 07 350 is in getting various TSBs and such done. What a PIG. Coming from the 350, my butt dyno may be a little off (OK, a lot), but it seems to lack a significant amount of power. I swear the 4 cylinder Camry had more get up and go. The outgoing Corolla (1ZZ motor) at least revved easier, so it actually felt like you were accomplishing something (making noise).

Don't get me wrong, you guys still get some pretty good chassis dynamics (I'm discovering the IS is pretty well sorted, after all), but the powerband just seems quite narrow. This makes the transmission kinda hunt for gears (when in ECT PWR, mind you) while going up/down inclines with or without cruise control, and makes it a little harder to hit those little tiny holes in traffic that I loved doing so much.

<anti-flame off>

Anyone else put in a similar comparison out there? I think its a somewhat smart move by the dealer, since its just about the lowest-priced Lexus right now. And you don't feel like a grandpa like I did in the ES.

(PS -- did you know the AFS headlamp assemblies cost like $850 apiece? yikes.)
Old 10-30-07, 09:54 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is why when i go in for my 5k service im gonna ask for a RX, I wanna feel what the *richer* soccer moms feel
Old 10-30-07, 10:09 PM
PNice972
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ richer soccer moms drive the GX and LX not the RX.
Old 10-30-07, 10:29 PM
truoutkast
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PNice972
^^^ richer soccer moms drive the GX and LX not the RX.
i agree with llamaboiz

RX is a rich soccer momma car.......how do i know? cuz that's what all my homeboys be saying to me when i got hte RX as a loaner....felt weird hahaha
Old 10-30-07, 10:35 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

MILF's drive RX's.
Old 10-30-07, 10:44 PM
LexFather

My assesment of both, I have MORE FUN in the IS 250 than the 350 and I'll tell again why.

THe IS 350 has so much power, the paddle shifters don't even matter. The engine just has plent of power in whatever gear and whatever speed. IMO the engine on the 350 shines and at some point overpowers the chassis (not fun). The best part is the acceleration, what power!!

The IS 250, was so much more engaging to me with the paddle shifters b/c there is a lot less power so I had to be VERY aware of what gear I was in and my speed and my revs. It made things fun as I had to be constantly aware of everything when I drove. It did feel slightly underpowered in 1st gear but I've been driving a V-8 GS for years now, most anything feels that way.

Both are great, don't sleep on the 250!
Old 10-30-07, 10:57 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
This is why when i go in for my 5k service im gonna ask for a RX, I wanna feel what the *richer* soccer moms feel
Originally Posted by truoutkast
i agree with llamaboiz

RX is a rich soccer momma car.......how do i know? cuz that's what all my homeboys be saying to me when i got hte RX as a loaner....felt weird hahaha
Originally Posted by Coconut
MILF's drive RX's.
You guys are a trip! I drive BOTH, an IS and RX! I'm not even going to guess what that makes me.

I can relate to the OP. I dove the IS250 and my impression was...> looks like an IS, but feels like a Camry. Even though I am just getting use to my 08 IS350, sometimes I feel like it could use at least another 50hp and 40tq. An IS250 would have me rocking forward in the seat, as in , telling it to "getty up and go".
Old 10-30-07, 11:02 PM
truoutkast
Pole Position

LOL droptopgal.

nice way to put that statement about 250. *hide my 250 badge*

"getty up and go" lol
Old 10-30-07, 11:15 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
My assesment of both, I have MORE FUN in the IS 250 than the 350 and I'll tell again why.

THe IS 350 has so much power, the paddle shifters don't even matter. The engine just has plent of power in whatever gear and whatever speed. IMO the engine on the 350 shines and at some point overpowers the chassis (not fun). The best part is the acceleration, what power!!

The IS 250, was so much more engaging to me with the paddle shifters b/c there is a lot less power so I had to be VERY aware of what gear I was in and my speed and my revs. It made things fun as I had to be constantly aware of everything when I drove. It did feel slightly underpowered in 1st gear but I've been driving a V-8 GS for years now, most anything feels that way.

Both are great, don't sleep on the 250!
Def Well said Dave !

I love my 250, no complaints at all! All about the driver
Old 10-30-07, 11:25 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 250 is adequate for me. It was either that fully loaded, IS350 base, or G35 coupe base. Almost wish I had G35 just for the extra hundred horses, but can't beat Lexus quality. In 3rd, I have more than enough power to get the tight pockets on the streets. I just love how you can keep it rolling in third, and then hit it. I can actually hear the usually silent exhaust somewhat wake up, although it isn't an HKS or Tanabe, but I'm a fan of the tone. 4th and 5th are more than enough for me on the freeway.

For the most part I only drive it to school, which is 6 miles each way, and I don't drive like a maniac all the time, but if I want to, I just have it in Sport mode and shift around 4-5k.

But yeah, can't complain!
Old 10-30-07, 11:26 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

never bothered to even test drive it...although every dealership tried to sell me one... I told them the only car I was interest in from Lexus was the IS350 and even told them if I couldn't find one that meet my specs I'd go for a BMW since I meet to a few dealerships already and needed a car, but luckily the last dealership jsut got a shipment of them and had one I wanted.
Old 10-30-07, 11:27 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

I hate the lack of power but I love the car overall so........O yea

1SickLex: We 250 owners praise you and your sympathy for our underpowered motors....j/k
Old 10-30-07, 11:33 PM
FinanceGuy
Driver

I own a 350 and drive a 250AWD as a demo. Both are equally fun drive IMO. I have to agree with 1SICKLEX in that driving with the paddle shifters gives you a touch of that "I'm in control of the gears" feeling. It handles MUCH better in cornering compared to the ES demo I was driving before. Even without the ML stereo, the sound system is a thousand times better than my girlfriend's '04 Accord.
Old 10-30-07, 11:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MoLexus
I hate the lack of power but I love the car overall so........O yea

1SickLex: We 250 owners praise you and your sympathy for our underpowered motors....j/k
My first car was a Nissan Sentra, might of had 90hp. Now THAT is underpowered

Originally Posted by ExclusivIS
Def Well said Dave !

I love my 250, no complaints at all! All about the driver
Its Mike I'm Dave's sidekick
Old 10-31-07, 07:15 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

There's an old saying in cars... it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow... that's likely what people who really enjoy gear-control on the 250 are talking about.... and the fact the handling is pretty good on both doesn't hurt

Quick Reply: Driving a 250 versus my 350...