IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

iPod integration, DICE, Vaistech, or iPod integration kit by Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-07, 08:35 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up iPod integration, DICE, Vaistech, or iPod integration kit by Lexus?

I've read a lot about people installing DICE and Vaistech ipod integration kits, and really wanted to get this done for my car also, however, I'm so confused about which one is a better unit and user friendly. Can you guys recommend me one to go with or they are both good? And also, how about the one lexus/toyota will come out with, any feedback on that? I did not do the nav hack on my car, and probably will not either. Based on that, which one do you guys think will fit the best? I asked a few ebay sellers that sells all of them, they recommended USA spec, they told me they haven't had any problems reported. However, I called crutchfield, they recommended soundgate/vaistech. Any thoughts? thanks

Last edited by lexboi250; 10-14-07 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-06-07, 03:33 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

any one have any inputs? I've read a lot about people who installed Vaistech and DICE, for those that have either one, can you give me some feedbacks on it?
Old 10-08-07, 09:17 PM
SILVER IS
Rookie

I would like to know. When is Lexus going to release one???
Old 10-08-07, 09:37 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

The Vaistech has the optional feature of automatically dismissing the navigation warning screen when the car is started, so it would be my choice. During installation, be sure to secure the connectors away from hot transmission parts, as several owners have reported problems due to the connectors deforming from the heat.
Old 10-08-07, 09:45 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

I emailed a dealer that actually carries all 3, he recommended the USA Spec one, said it never had a problem from his clients.
Old 10-14-07, 10:36 PM
crazy_vag
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
The Vaistech has the optional feature of automatically dismissing the navigation warning screen when the car is started, so it would be my choice. During installation, be sure to secure the connectors away from hot transmission parts, as several owners have reported problems due to the connectors deforming from the heat.
I had problems with my Vaistech and had to remove the system completely to get my IS 350 with ML working again. I wasn't aware of any hot transmission parts back there. If I decided to go with a Vaistech again, that's definitely something to pay more attention to.
Old 10-14-07, 10:41 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

wow i am glad i read this forum. I never knew about the problems with the viastech and heat from the transmission. good to know.
Old 10-15-07, 07:33 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by combfilter
wow i am glad i read this forum. I never knew about the problems with the viastech and heat from the transmission. good to know.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so if you want to know about the Vaistech connector heat issue, read this post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&postcount=163
Old 10-15-07, 11:39 AM
griswold
Driver School Candidate

I am 100% satisfied with my DICE kit. I installed it a couple days after picking up the car and it has worked flawlessly. I don't have NAV or ML if that makes a difference. I couldn't justify spending twice as much money on what appeared to be the exact same product.
Old 10-15-07, 01:00 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by griswold
I am 100% satisfied with my DICE kit. I installed it a couple days after picking up the car and it has worked flawlessly. I don't have NAV or ML if that makes a difference. I couldn't justify spending twice as much money on what appeared to be the exact same product.
Hi Griswold, how easy was the installation? My local audio shop will do it for me, or should I just do it myself, with no prior experience. Also, do you have to create playlists inorder to change songs? Can you select from album/artist/songs list for your music? Thanks
Old 10-15-07, 02:28 PM
crazy_vag
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to keep cables from melting?

Originally Posted by Bichon
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so if you want to know about the Vaistech connector heat issue, read this post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&postcount=163
Well, that post summarizes EXACTLY the issue that I was having. However, i didn't see any consensus as to where the heat was coming from or how to protect the cables from heat damage. Would wrapping the cables in some electric tape help with the issue? Is there some better routing that could be used?
Old 10-16-07, 06:12 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by crazy_vag
Well, that post summarizes EXACTLY the issue that I was having. However, i didn't see any consensus as to where the heat was coming from or how to protect the cables from heat damage. Would wrapping the cables in some electric tape help with the issue? Is there some better routing that could be used?
You may want to send a PM to kensteele, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/pri...=newpm&u=38803, as he was the person who posted the photos and description of the problem.
Old 10-16-07, 10:18 AM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

Default problems with heat

Some of you have been experiencing problems with your units cutting in and out and the presence of too much heat. We are making this post to clear this situation up. This problem with too much heat is a product of poor installation, nothing more. Our products have absolutely no problems with heat in fact our whole product line is designed to withstand heat up to 85 degrees celcius and minus 40 degrees celcius, they also draw less than 1watt. But they still must be installed correctly and away from any metal or heat sources (transmission,etc.) for one of these connectors to warp or melt it would take well over 85C probably closer to 100C which is about 212F. HOT! We can assure you here our units are designed to produce NO heat and therefore would not have caused any melting to occur. No one should be deterred from our product, they are 100% safe. Unfortunately in this matter the problem was due to an incorrect installation. In this case we also want to note that anything installed in this location no matter what it is would have the identical problem.

Support Team
VIAS Technology
Old 10-16-07, 05:42 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^i can concur with the above. after i repositioned my unit using a new part, the problem did not reoccur. no doubt the heat melted the part, damaged it, and caused an intermittant connection. i believe my original part might have made contact with a metal surface somewhere within the installation area which is even hotter. so as with any installation, i have since learned that you have to pay close attention to where you mount your parts. i have no issues with heat today.
Old 10-16-07, 06:23 PM
griswold
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexboi250
Hi Griswold, how easy was the installation? My local audio shop will do it for me, or should I just do it myself, with no prior experience. Also, do you have to create playlists inorder to change songs? Can you select from album/artist/songs list for your music? Thanks
The installation was very straightforward and easy. You don't have to create playlists but it is much easier. You can control the ipod through the head unit, the steering wheel controls, or the ipod itself. I normally just pick a playlist, put in on shuffle, and go from there. It does not display text which I feel is the only drawback, however, I think this is the case unless you have NAV. I could be mistaken though.