IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Has anyone installed the Borla OFF Road Themselves?

Old 09-30-07, 05:52 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Has anyone installed the Borla OFF Road Themselves?

Seriously. I figured this would be like a 30-60min job. I figured maybe 90min tops.

I am now 5hrs into the install and still not finished.

removing the old section of the stock exhaust from the cats is a major pain in the butt. You think "oh just disconnect the o2 sensors and unscrew 4 bolts". Wrong! First the freaking o2 sensors are mounted in a section of the exhaust where it's a serious pain in the butt to get an o2 sensor socket on. Which btw I did not have before I did the install. 2nd the o2 sensor wire does not really allow much play to unscrew it self so once you do the o2 sensor socket and start unscrewing it gets very hard towards the end because that wire is at full tension. Below is a pic where you can see how little room you have so you better have a 1" to go on the end of your o2 sensor socket.

ok once you have the o2 sensors off you need to remove the 4 bolts holding the stock exhaust to the front set of cats. Easy right? emm no. Those bolts have been heated and cooled so much that they are basically fused together. Thus you need a nice socket that you can reall get some leverage.. but wait there's the 3rd mistake I made. Do not do this install on ramps. Find someone that has a lift. Our cars are so low that really ramps wont let you get the leverage that you need. Ramps work great for an axle back, but for a cat back it's a different story. At least for me.

now, once you have the old exhaust off you start putting the borla on. tip #1. Make sure that your borla fits together correctly before you start mounting pieces. (duh i know right). After getting the front section on, we realized that the mid section needs to be put on at the same time. This is basically impossible on ramps but we were able to do this. Problem here again. My borla must have been a test fit or something because the section where the x pipe meets the resonator pipe is barely off and doesn't fit. I know this sounds like "just make it fit" , but I can't. they built the borla well and put support brackets that keeps you from just bending it enough to force it to fit.

This takes me the next stage. I have to take it to a muffler shop or some shop tomorrow that can weld stainless. I have to have them unweld one of the support brackets (nothing inside the exhaust), then I will have more flex of the pipes to make them fit into each other. Then he is going to have to re-weld the support bracket back on, then i go back and mount.

I am pretty sure at that point I will be cussing again because something else will have gone wrong.

anyways I will have more pics and a full write up of the install last this week. I am just venting right now.

OH and I guess as the subject reads, Has anyone on t his forum done their own borla off road installation. PM me please. I have questions about the quality of your borla build, and how your install went.
Old 09-30-07, 05:59 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

OOOps. I meant to post this into the performance section. Sorry. I am sure monitoring dave will move it for me.. Sorry about that.
Old 09-30-07, 06:04 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I helped my buddy install a full Megan catback. We did it on a lift so it wasn't as hard as doing it yourself.
Old 09-30-07, 10:10 PM
iceman1117
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW sorry to hear things are going so difficult. Hope all the hard works pays off and you can get a 13.0 on your next 1/4 mile.
Old 09-30-07, 10:26 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey wait, one silver lining for your cloud...err... clouds, how does it sound uncapped? you at least started it to hear it in all its unmufflered glory right?
Old 09-30-07, 10:48 PM
waynetech2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

uhh. hell yea it was a beast and I just watched the guy do it...def not a quick job...
my fitment was off also. the part where the two pipes are reinforced by that plate was off by .5 inch. the only way we got it on was to bend the plate down which brought the pipes alittle closer together
o2 sensor on the driver side was very hard to get off I think he stripped the thread on it just a lil..but pass side was cake
good luck dont give up it sounds great...
Old 10-01-07, 08:09 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Hey wait, one silver lining for your cloud...err... clouds, how does it sound uncapped? you at least started it to hear it in all its unmufflered glory right?
Here's a small video. I didn't want to run it without any piping there because it would get too hot, so I shot a quick spin around the block with basically the axle back section of my modified stock exhaust removed. Basically you are hearing an IS350 from inside with only the front cats and a resonator.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...74175350413796
Old 10-01-07, 08:15 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by waynetech2
uhh. hell yea it was a beast and I just watched the guy do it...def not a quick job...
my fitment was off also. the part where the two pipes are reinforced by that plate was off by .5 inch. the only way we got it on was to bend the plate down which brought the pipes alittle closer together
o2 sensor on the driver side was very hard to get off I think he stripped the thread on it just a lil..but pass side was cake
good luck dont give up it sounds great...
OK this is good to know and I think borla should know about it. that's 2 of us that had that section off by a decent amount. I went this morning to a shop by my house and we cut the stablizing bracket in half, then I was able to make the xpipe fit into the resonator part then he welded the bracket back together.

YES!!!! my driver side o2 sensor was much harder than my passenger sensor.

I hope the rest of it comes together much easier tonight.

Thanks for the info
Old 10-01-07, 12:37 PM
newis350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey combfilter...why did you dump your custom exhaust for the Borla?

Old 10-01-07, 12:39 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

not dumping anything. Just messing around with different sounds. My other exhaust still has the stock resonator which doesn't help much because my rear cats are missing. This tends to lead to some droning. Checking out the borla one. If it doesn't sound good i'll sell it.
Old 10-01-07, 01:09 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm sure you'll like the sound of the Borla.
Old 10-01-07, 01:28 PM
waynetech2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cool let us know what u think
Old 10-01-07, 01:50 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caymandive
I'm sure you'll like the sound of the Borla.

so far I am not impressed at all. Quality Control is def one problem I have with it. However, I trust your opinion caymandive which is one of the reasons I snagged this up.

At WOT i think my magnaflows are going to be hard to beat.

I should have it all on tonight.
Old 10-01-07, 05:28 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

how does it sound??? did you get it to fit tonite or still work in process?? i am anxious to hear your feedback and see pics of how it looks!!!
Old 10-01-07, 05:33 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It always takes longer cause you want to take your time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone installed the Borla OFF Road Themselves?