IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Side mirror not auto-tilting enough.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-07, 09:08 AM
brel523
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Side mirror not auto-tilting enough.

I've had the driver side mirror have problems auto-tilting in reverse. It tilts down just a little bit, then stops. The right side tilts all the way down.

That happened for a few days and I scheduled a dealer appt. In meantime, I put the mirror control in the middle so it wouldn't tilt at all in reverse. Left it there for a few days, then put it back to auto-tilt. Have not had a problem since.

I canceled appointment since I can't replicate now, but was wondering if others have had similar side mirror (mechanical) problems other than not having the mirror switch set properly to auto-tilt?

Thanks.
Old 09-26-07, 09:18 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmmm...

Sounds like something just got caught in the mechanism. Did it happen after a car wash? Or perhaps if you changed the puddle lamp bulb?
Old 09-26-07, 09:19 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

What's the purpose of tilting down side mirrors in reverse?
Old 09-26-07, 09:27 AM
supaIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you can set how far the mirrors tilts down. While in reverse and the mirrors are tilting down, you can use the control to set how much it tilts and it will remember it. I haven't tried this yet, but read somewhere you can do this. So anyone, correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 09-26-07, 09:30 AM
gizbx4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dojoman
What's the purpose of tilting down side mirrors in reverse?
to see the curb better when parking.

i am haveing the same problem with both mirrors.. it sucks becuase this feature is really helpful when parking becuase i am so nervous about getting curb rash on my aftermarket rims.
Old 09-26-07, 09:31 AM
brel523
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Hmmm...

Sounds like something just got caught in the mechanism. Did it happen after a car wash? Or perhaps if you changed the puddle lamp bulb?
Nope, no car wash or bulb change or anything with touching it.
Old 09-26-07, 09:47 AM
nsxiboi
Lead Lap

is auto tilting feature optional? I tried backing up into a parking spot yesterday and turned the switch to adjust the right mirror, put the gear in reverse, and the mirror didn't tilt. I guess i don't have that option.
Old 09-26-07, 09:50 AM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

I'm having the same kind of issue. The mirror barely turns down and I cant see the curb anymore. I even got a little nick on my rim the other day becaue of it.
Old 09-26-07, 09:56 AM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Originally Posted by gizbx4
to see the curb better when parking.

i am haveing the same problem with both mirrors.. it sucks becuase this feature is really helpful when parking becuase i am so nervous about getting curb rash on my aftermarket rims.
ya, after curbing my car once I wish my IS350 had it like my Acura did. For some reason, I just cant judge curbs in this car, I end up parking too far away from the curb.
Old 09-26-07, 10:14 AM
BLK*LEX
Rookie

I had that problem also, but with the passenger side...it doesnt tilt down as much as the driver side?? i took my into the dealer, and they checked and said that the passenger side tilts down just like other IS's...does anyone know if the passenger side tilts less than the driver side?? cause i dont think i ever had that problem.....and ive tried the thing while in reverse to set it, but i dont believe it remembers it....
Old 09-26-07, 10:31 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nsxiboi
is auto tilting feature optional? I tried backing up into a parking spot yesterday and turned the switch to adjust the right mirror, put the gear in reverse, and the mirror didn't tilt. I guess i don't have that option.
You need either the Lux Pkg or Sport Pkg to get them--it's not a stand alone option.
Old 09-26-07, 02:17 PM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you may have the option.

the toggle button that controls which mirror you change with the arrows needs to be set on L or R, not in the middle. toggle to L or R then put in reverse. if that doesnt make them tilt, then sorry...you dont have the option.
Old 09-26-07, 03:13 PM
Ella
Driver School Candidate

I believe its only in the Luxury pkg.
Old 09-26-07, 03:50 PM
evotolexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine passenger side stopped working altogether. Previously, it would work occassionaly. I would manually move the mirror to make sure no obstructions. It would work for a day or two again, then stop working.

Took it to the dealer yesterday and they ordered a new mirror which is being installed tomorrow.
Old 09-26-07, 07:21 PM
xkylar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by supaIS350
I think you can set how far the mirrors tilts down. While in reverse and the mirrors are tilting down, you can use the control to set how much it tilts and it will remember it. I haven't tried this yet, but read somewhere you can do this. So anyone, correct me if I'm wrong.
I tried it since my passenger side one doesn't tilt all the way down. It didn't retain the position when I reversed it again.

Quick Reply: Side mirror not auto-tilting enough.