IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Nav Screen Protector

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-07, 10:58 AM
jdanon
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav Screen Protector

Does anyone have any suggestions for protecting the navigation screen? I was thinking something along the lines of a clear static cling piece of plastic I could cut and fit over the LCD. One of the problems I could see with this is bubbling, but I'd like to use something that is non-adhesive so that it can be peeled off easily without leaving any residue or damaging the screen. Obviously it would also have to work with a touch screen. Maybe I'm worrying too much, but Lexus says it's delicate and you can't use any cleaners on it and you have to wipe it down with a lens cleaning cloth to clean it.
Old 09-24-07, 11:26 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

if you do a search there's several threads on this.....anyway, I have one off ebay...fits like a glove and easy to install...can't tell its there--same exact look...makes me feel safer.
Old 09-24-07, 01:25 PM
MLevinson
Pole Position

http://screenpatronus.com - excellent quality/fully transparent and easy to apply.

Let me know if you need a pic.
Old 09-24-07, 01:29 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never saw the point to screen protectors. I have never owned anything with a touch screen that I was so rough with I might damage the screen. All they do for me is make the screen look less nice.
Old 09-24-07, 01:34 PM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ben_r_
I never saw the point to screen protectors. I have never owned anything with a touch screen that I was so rough with I might damage the screen. All they do for me is make the screen look less nice.
I'll have to disagree w/the "..look less nice" comment. This protector is completely invisible if applied correctly it actually makes the colors stand out better in the daytime because of the anti-glare/matt coating. Plus, you will eventually see wear on the navi-coating on the screen just by using it day-to-day [shinny spots], regardsless if you are gentle with it.

But, if you do not like them that’s ok as well.
Old 09-24-07, 02:02 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

I'm mostly worried about what the car wash people will do to it. I'm in a position where I can't wash my own car, so I have a couple options, one is to take it to the higher priced detailers, or go to the quickie Splash Car Wash across the street from my office building where they don't speak English, but do a decent job for a $20 wash. Only problem is if I say don't touch the LCD screen I don't think they will listen because they won't understand me. They'll just wipe it down with whatever dirty rag or chemicals when they do the quick interior wipe down. The Nav is the most delicate thing, so I'd prefer to stick something on the screen so if they do wipe the LCD screen with window cleaner which the Lexus manual explicitly says not to do, that nothing bad will happen or that it won't scratch or smear.
Old 09-24-07, 02:59 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jdanon
I'm mostly worried about what the car wash people will do to it. I'm in a position where I can't wash my own car, so I have a couple options, one is to take it to the higher priced detailers, or go to the quickie Splash Car Wash across the street from my office building where they don't speak English, but do a decent job for a $20 wash. Only problem is if I say don't touch the LCD screen I don't think they will listen because they won't understand me. They'll just wipe it down with whatever dirty rag or chemicals when they do the quick interior wipe down. The Nav is the most delicate thing, so I'd prefer to stick something on the screen so if they do wipe the LCD screen with window cleaner which the Lexus manual explicitly says not to do, that nothing bad will happen or that it won't scratch or smear.
I'm in a similar position bud. Often times, I do not have the time to wash the car myself so I take in to get it hand washed.

I'll have to invest in a screen protector myself.

BTW, did you get your car yet?
Old 09-24-07, 03:12 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Shoyuu
I'm in a similar position bud. Often times, I do not have the time to wash the car myself so I take in to get it hand washed.

I'll have to invest in a screen protector myself.

BTW, did you get your car yet?
Not yet. I have about two weeks to go. They overnighted the paperwork to me, so I have to sign it and send back with a check. Then I just have to wait for them to ship the car up to me, so I feel like I'm finally in the home stretch.
Old 09-24-07, 03:14 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jdanon
Not yet. I have about two weeks to go. They overnighted the paperwork to me, so I have to sign it and send back with a check. Then I just have to wait for them to ship the car up to me, so I feel like I'm finally in the home stretch.
That's great news! I'm assuming they gave you the VIN # already?
Old 09-24-07, 06:20 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Shoyuu
That's great news! I'm assuming they gave you the VIN # already?
Yeah I've had that for a couple weeks now. Just waiting for the car to be delivered to the dealer from the port facility.
Old 09-24-07, 06:54 PM
bimbels
Rookie

bagwell I was wondering if a screen protector would effect your ability to use the touchscreen - I guess not. I was initially thinking of one for my iPhone, but you're right, I should probably get one for the car, too. I'll check on ebay. ;-)
Old 09-24-07, 08:28 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MLevinson
http://screenpatronus.com - excellent quality/fully transparent and easy to apply.

Let me know if you need a pic.
Thanks for sharing this info. I just purchased one for my 08 IS350 pending arrival in a week or two and also purchased one for our 07 RX350. Seems like a great product.
Old 09-25-07, 01:22 AM
Lex5150
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone tried the clearguard XP brand screen protector? I see there is the Screen Patronus one and this one. Just wondering if one was better than the other. I assume they are very similar.
Old 09-25-07, 01:25 AM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

I'm in for one too. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-25-07, 03:48 AM
vapors1
Driver School Candidate

Hey Everyone,

The good news is that I got a really cool protector from the Lexus parts department. The bad news is that my '08 IS250 hasn't been delivered to me yet! Supposed to be Thursday morning!! Yeah!!

Try this link:http://beta.lexus-parts.com/parts_de...id=90142&all=Y

I haven't talked to anyone who has it, so I don't know about how effective it is. But for $4.90, I'm just willing to take that chance!!

Kevin

Quick Reply: Nav Screen Protector