IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

NON Hid aftermarket headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-07, 04:55 AM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default NON Hid aftermarket headlights

I want to change my NON HID headlights to something a lil more whiter. can people that have swapped there NON HID headlights for aftermarket ones post what they have, if they are satisfied, how long they have had them, and possibly price. this would be greatly appreciated....

Last edited by nehal51086; 09-19-07 at 05:01 AM.
Old 09-19-07, 11:25 AM
iceman1117
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed my NON HID headlight and Fogs with 8000K HID. They cost me around $180 per set from ebay. I have had them for about a year now and they work great. The only problem I have had is that I had to change the fuse for the fog lights today. Anyone who changes there fogs with HID are going to have this problem sooner or later since more AMPS are required. Since you want a lil more whiter you can go with 6000K HIDs.
Old 09-19-07, 11:32 AM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the posts and threads I've read, changing bulbs (low beam) is such a hassle that you might as well change everything you want in there all at once and get an HID as well. I'm not trying to discourage you from changing but the whole bumper has to be taken off and the headlight pulled out (not sure about that one) to change the bulbs.

On another hand, as for bulbs, I like PIAA. Don't go higher than 6500k-7000k since any higher will not give off a different color and less visibility. PIAA goes for around $50-$80 and i'm not sure if they still have it but they used to have a lifetime replacement warranty.
Old 09-19-07, 01:39 PM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

i was originally gona get an hid kit...but my parents told me that they are gona give my car to my sis soon....and its not gona make a difference to her...so i was gona save the few bucks and spend it on the next car... if it is that much trouble (which i didnt think it was) then i prolly wont bother changing the lights...

also....long story short mom sugested i get HIDs but talked to the dealer when she took the RX in for service and they told her ALL aftermarket HIDs are illegal...since then she told me i cant...so if there happens to be any that are legal can someone please tell me....
Old 09-19-07, 01:58 PM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Factory installed HID's are only 4300k I believe, which is pretty legal. Plus it all depends on the setting of how high or low you point your light to. Maybe it depends on the state as well but I'm pretty sure HID is not illegal as practically all luxury cars, even non-luxury cars are having as a standar or option. I doubt car companies/dealerships would offer something that is illegal as an option.
Old 09-19-07, 02:17 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Silverstar ? bulb dont last that long but pretty white....

it's a PITA to replace bulbs for our cars......
Old 09-19-07, 03:00 PM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

silverstar (the white ones) doesnt come in H11.....
after mom told me what she was told at the delaer i emailed them and got this.... "Unfortunately, no the manufacturer lights cannot be installed legally either. If the car is not equipped with the HID lights they do not have the self leveling needed to be street legal. Therefore, you will be blinding oncoming traffic".....is that true?

thank you for the responses...
Old 09-19-07, 03:10 PM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

"Unfortunately, no the manufacturer lights cannot be installed legally either. If the car is not equipped with the HID lights they do not have the self leveling needed to be street legal. Therefore, you will be blinding oncoming traffic"
That doesn't sound right to me. Even without the auto-leveling, it should be legal. I can understand it being illegal maybe 5-years ago but now it is too common. Even on SUV's which pretty much blinds, whether their from the oncoming traffic or following you in the back, is legal to some extent. Then again, I could be totally wrong.
Old 09-19-07, 04:00 PM
danger4o5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rfx45
From the posts and threads I've read, changing bulbs (low beam) is such a hassle that you might as well change everything you want in there all at once and get an HID as well. I'm not trying to discourage you from changing but the whole bumper has to be taken off and the headlight pulled out (not sure about that one) to change the bulbs.

On another hand, as for bulbs, I like PIAA. Don't go higher than 6500k-7000k since any higher will not give off a different color and less visibility. PIAA goes for around $50-$80 and i'm not sure if they still have it but they used to have a lifetime replacement warranty.
It wasn't really all that hard to install. I installed both 4300k (white as it can be so it could be the brightest) on my headlights and foglights. The only thing sucked about it was that I had to pull off my bumper to do the foglights. I bought my set of hid for about $120-$140 each. And they have been on my car for nearly a year now with no problem.
Old 09-19-07, 04:10 PM
danger4o5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iceman1117
The only problem I have had is that I had to change the fuse for the fog lights today. Anyone who changes there fogs with HID are going to have this problem sooner or later since more AMPS are required.
Haven't changed my fuse yet. Let me look for a pic....

Kinda blurry
Old 09-19-07, 04:16 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by nehal51086
silverstar (the white ones) doesnt come in H11.....
after mom told me what she was told at the delaer i emailed them and got this.... "Unfortunately, no the manufacturer lights cannot be installed legally either. If the car is not equipped with the HID lights they do not have the self leveling needed to be street legal. Therefore, you will be blinding oncoming traffic".....is that true?

thank you for the responses...
"technically" it's true.....but as what I know Acura TSX does not have self leveling HID.....
Old 09-19-07, 04:22 PM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by danger4o5
It wasn't really all that hard to install. I installed both 4300k (white as it can be so it could be the brightest) on my headlights and foglights. The only thing sucked about it was that I had to pull off my bumper to do the foglights. I bought my set of hid for about $120-$140 each. And they have been on my car for nearly a year now with no problem.
Did you take the bumber off? Because that's the only hard part of the whole replacement. Once it's off, it's probably a piece of cake.
Old 09-19-07, 04:35 PM
neova
Pole Position

nehal, any halogen lights that gives you a "white" light requires the bulbs to be tinted blue in order to achieve the white light. A halogen bulb with a tint is going to be very dim and totally useless for night driving. It doesn't matter if it's PIAA or some other expensive brands. I suggest you save your money altogether and just get HID on your next car.

If you MUST have whiter looking Halogen low beams, the best ones are MTEC 4750K ultrawhites. They are still going to be less bright than your stock Halogens but amongst other tinted halogen bulbs the MTEC's are the brightest.

Any aftermarket HID is ILLEGAL. The only legal way is to acutally RETROFIT the entire HID houusing, AFS, and Bixenon setup EXACTLY as done at the factory. Having said that, I have aftermarket HID but since it looks OEM the police won't know until they open the hood.

Last edited by neova; 09-19-07 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-19-07, 06:10 PM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by neova
nehal, any halogen lights that gives you a "white" light requires the bulbs to be tinted blue in order to achieve the white light. A halogen bulb with a tint is going to be very dim and totally useless for night driving. It doesn't matter if it's PIAA or some other expensive brands. I suggest you save your money altogether and just get HID on your next car.

If you MUST have whiter looking Halogen low beams, the best ones are MTEC 4750K ultrawhites. They are still going to be less bright than your stock Halogens but amongst other tinted halogen bulbs the MTEC's are the brightest.

Any aftermarket HID is ILLEGAL. The only legal way is to acutally RETROFIT the entire HID houusing, AFS, and Bixenon setup EXACTLY as done at the factory. Having said that, I have aftermarket HID but since it looks OEM the police won't know until they open the hood.
thanks....i probably will just wait....
Old 09-20-07, 07:22 AM
danger4o5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rfx45
Did you take the bumber off? Because that's the only hard part of the whole replacement. Once it's off, it's probably a piece of cake.
I had my headlights done a month before my fogs. So I didn't have to take out the bumper till I had to install the fogs.. So it wasn't necessary to take out the bumper for the headlights.OK I do take it back..it was a little of a pain to put on the headlights only because the bulb they sent me was off by a bit so I had to do some mods on the fins of the bulb

Quick Reply: NON Hid aftermarket headlights