IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Took advice: Engine covers

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-07, 09:59 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took advice: Engine covers

I took some advise around here and removed my engine covers last week. Took off all of the plastic pieces (4 total including the fancy center piece).

I've had my IS350 for 1.5 years and I drive it hard.

I am experiencing an very noticeable increase in performance all around. The IS350 is MUCH snappier at all acceleration, feels like a new car. It really didn’t seem to get much louder.

I would probably associate it with the air intake. In fact when I took that piece off and saw the air intake there, I knew there would be a difference.

To add to the change. This summer has been real cool until this week where we have had 2 90 degree days. I've been experiencing this increase in performance driving the car with AC on full on a 90 degree day.

I have no numbers and such, but the car feels a hell of a lot better, especially in simple mid range acceleration, driving on the freeway and stomping it. Feeling a lot like my old Sti's acceleration. While I haven’t hit the track in a few years, I did put a lot of hours in at PIR on the track and in AutoX in my S2000's and such so Im no dummy on car perf at 95%.

Thing feels like it can finally breath.
Old 09-11-07, 11:47 PM
MPstyle
Driver

Sounds weird because ambient air temp is a pretty big peformance limiter/ enhancer. 90 degrees is HOT which usually = SLOW
Old 09-11-07, 11:56 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll leave mine on, our engines are kinda... not... pretty to look at with the cover off. When i look at my mustang 5.0 engine i can feel my spirit soar BUT when i look at the 2GR-FSE... well... it just looks so... so... effecient
Old 09-12-07, 12:03 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wanna try it now see if i can feel the diff on the 300's, but i kinad agree with llamboiz, our engine is one ugly piece of automotive ingenuity
Old 09-12-07, 05:17 AM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

i took just the front one off last night on my 250....it seems a little louder...

for those that may know...does more air equal higher rpms?...if so then i can say for sure it makes a differnce...im pretty sure i saw an increase of about 100-200 rpms when cruising at 75ish....i think it used to be right above 2000...(those that know please chime in)...on my drive to school today it was closer to 2200....
Old 09-12-07, 05:48 AM
mdsbrain
Lead Lap

I think what you all are associating as a performance increase is just that the engine is a tad louder. Thus the added noise is adding to your driving enjoyment :-)
Old 09-12-07, 06:14 AM
dAiLL3sT
Lexus Test Driver

again! HOW CAN 3 STUPID PIECES OF PLASTIC ADD TO NOISE REDUCTION! i really disagree wit that theory... if u have hard proof if that is actually the case i am going to styick wit my opinion
Old 09-12-07, 06:25 AM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Originally Posted by mdsbrain
I think what you all are associating as a performance increase is just that the engine is a tad louder. Thus the added noise is adding to your driving enjoyment :-)
Npe, like I said its not really louder. Our engine is not loud. In fact it almost sounds like a washing machine at idol. Its actually kind of odd, dont like it myself, I want to hear the 300 hp. the IS350 does sound pretty nice when its opened up at high RPM, just like it should My Sti at idol in my garage would rattle my ****ing house. It sat in that garage and damn strait let you know it was in the garage being fired up.
Old 09-12-07, 06:25 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dAiLL3sT
again! HOW CAN 3 STUPID PIECES OF PLASTIC ADD TO NOISE REDUCTION! i really disagree wit that theory... if u have hard proof if that is actually the case i am going to styick wit my opinion
I think Lexus probably did the cover thing to cut down engine sound and the look when opening the hood.
Old 09-12-07, 06:37 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

This is most definitely a placebo effect since the covers could not contribute for better OR worse to performsnce. Well, I guess you could make the argument that the extra weight makes a difference, but it would take very special timing gear to measure it. The front cover does not hinder the intake at all, and might actually help it since the cover will reduce the amount of hot air it ingests from the engine bay.
Old 09-12-07, 06:40 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dAiLL3sT
The only piece that reduces noise is the 4th piece (the engine shroud). It dampens the injector tick a LOT. Try removing it while the engine is idling. It's totally obvious.
Old 09-12-07, 08:59 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by y2ks2k
I took some advise around here and removed my engine covers last week. Took off all of the plastic pieces (4 total including the fancy center piece).

I've had my IS350 for 1.5 years and I drive it hard.

I am experiencing an very noticeable increase in performance all around. The IS350 is MUCH snappier at all acceleration, feels like a new car. It really didn’t seem to get much louder.

I would probably associate it with the air intake. In fact when I took that piece off and saw the air intake there, I knew there would be a difference.

To add to the change. This summer has been real cool until this week where we have had 2 90 degree days. I've been experiencing this increase in performance driving the car with AC on full on a 90 degree day.

I have no numbers and such, but the car feels a hell of a lot better, especially in simple mid range acceleration, driving on the freeway and stomping it. Feeling a lot like my old Sti's acceleration. While I haven’t hit the track in a few years, I did put a lot of hours in at PIR on the track and in AutoX in my S2000's and such so Im no dummy on car perf at 95%.

Thing feels like it can finally breath.
Quick.....everybody go strip off all the plastics on your car..... You can net a .000001 sec increase on a 1/4 mile..!!!!

Dude..Are you serious?

I put more stock in The Tornado Intake than what you just said.....

Last edited by unit74; 09-12-07 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-12-07, 09:29 AM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

^^+1 im not falling for this "mod"
Old 09-12-07, 10:00 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

ROTFLMAO. Reminds me when I was 17 and flipped the air filter lid on the 351 V8 in my Torino - I thought it was bad@ss and gained 20+ hp . . . LOL
Old 09-12-07, 10:24 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Taking the covers off will give you the same performance as a drop K&N air filter....none,IMO.

Quick Reply: Took advice: Engine covers