IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

nav - entering a nonaddress destination

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-07, 06:09 PM
wakaru8
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default nav - entering a nonaddress destination

How do I enter a destination that is not in conventional address format (such as a specific entry/exit on freeway) via the voice command? Is it possible?
Old 09-12-07, 06:09 AM
wakaru8
Pit Crew

wow.... nobody knows?
Old 09-12-07, 06:38 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

you cant with voice the voice is somewhat limited.
Old 09-12-07, 07:24 AM
jdanon
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The voice thing sucks in general. Just the fact that you have to do it is retarded, let alone that IT DOES NOT WORK. I don't even have the car and I know this from other Lexus models that use the same nav system, and very brief testing at a dealership. Hard to believe that with modern technology voice recognition has such a long way to go. Even the woman's voice is still a bit robotic sounding though it's better than other systems.
Old 09-12-07, 07:38 AM
ckeck
Rookie

Lexus needs to buy an Acura TL and play with their Nav system...the only thing I like better about my IS350's NAV is the "crispness" of the screen. The overall functionality blows in comparison...not to mention the voice commands on the TL system work far better, there are almost 650+ commands (instead of ~100) and it DOES NOT lock you out!

Almost bought the TL for this reason alone...anyone know if there is a way to turn off the woman talking for 10 seconds before you can say your command? Can you set it to just keep and wait for the command when you press the button?
Old 09-12-07, 07:50 AM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ckeck
Lexus needs to buy an Acura TL and play with their Nav system...the only thing I like better about my IS350's NAV is the "crispness" of the screen. The overall functionality blows in comparison...not to mention the voice commands on the TL system work far better, there are almost 650+ commands (instead of ~100) and it DOES NOT lock you out!

Almost bought the TL for this reason alone...anyone know if there is a way to turn off the woman talking for 10 seconds before you can say your command? Can you set it to just keep and wait for the command when you press the button?
yes.. go to your options
Old 09-12-07, 08:03 AM
jdanon
Lead Lap

Yeah Acura's system is better. I get the feeling that Lexus only does the bare minimum to keep up with the competition, whereas Acura is trying to be somewhat more innovative. Lexus to me is much more conservative. I think instead of working on self-parking cars, they should put more effort into things that are more useful to more people. I think most nav systems now lock you out in one form or another, and I would assume Acura will eventually do the same. Not really sure why Lexus and MB do it and Acura does not. Wonder if Infiniti locks you out too. Now that I'm thinking about it, the only thing I think Lexus does better than everyone else is the graphics and that gap is quickly closing.
Old 09-12-07, 08:24 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdanon
Yeah Acura's system is better. I get the feeling that Lexus only does the bare minimum to keep up with the competition, whereas Acura is trying to be somewhat more innovative. Lexus to me is much more conservative. I think instead of working on self-parking cars, they should put more effort into things that are more useful to more people. I think most nav systems now lock you out in one form or another, and I would assume Acura will eventually do the same. Not really sure why Lexus and MB do it and Acura does not. Wonder if Infiniti locks you out too. Now that I'm thinking about it, the only thing I think Lexus does better than everyone else is the graphics and that gap is quickly closing.
Yea I def agree, its the one this I think Acura has over Lexus.
Old 09-12-07, 08:39 AM
HighImStan
Pole Position

I agree too. Almost bought Type-S for its excellent Nav.
Old 09-12-07, 08:57 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Even though the Acura nav is better, I doubt you can enter a destination with voice activation in that way. Maybe if it's a POI.
Old 09-12-07, 09:12 AM
wakaru8
Pit Crew

wow, that sux.... I'm gonna cry
Old 09-12-07, 11:39 AM
revitupwio
Driver

Originally Posted by tex2670
Even though the Acura nav is better, I doubt you can enter a destination with voice activation in that way. Maybe if it's a POI.
Um, guys...unless you're only grading Acura's navigation system on the number of different voice commands you have or the fact that it doesn't lock you out, the Lexus is far better in real-world functionality.

I drove an 06 TL for over a year & a half & am very very dependent on my nav to get anywhere I haven't been at least a couple of times. The TL would, more often than not, not have accurate information such as addresses (really important) and phone numbers and would commonly not be able to find huge chain stores that have been in existence for many many years.

On top of that, the process of finding things was pretty difficult - you could use "key words", but even the most logical ones would produce rediculous results [i.e. a search for bicycle would give you inidan restaurants & hospitals].

The voice commands NEVER worked well & you can almost never dial a whole phone number correctly even in a parked car with the windows closed, the engine off, & the A/C not running. If you wanted to dial a phone number using the voice command system, it would usually take 5-6 tries. There is no on-screen phone number, so if the voice commands didn't work, you had to whip out your phone. Don't get me started on trying to find a location with the voice commands...

The load time on the Lexus nav is so much less, it's silly.

The little **** you have to push to navigate the map is a joke - you can hardly push it around without pushing it in, thereby selecting a place on the map. Conversely, many times when you try to push it in, it might slip and move upwards, messing up your placement. Fortunately for Acura, though, there is little use in pushing the button down in "map" mode, anyway, as there were only a handful of on-screen icons that would yield information & those weren't the popular ones (just emergency ones, usually).

Speaking of icons, the ones that Acura uses are 99 times out of 100 just generic symbols & virtually indistinguishable from the other icons in part because they are just black & white drawings and in part because of the aforementioned screen resolution.

I could go on, but I doubt anyone's even reading at this point. Just be glad your nav has what it has - I love it & there's no reason to be jealous. My two cents...