IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bike rack

Old 09-06-07, 08:39 PM
Tcapone1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike rack

Has anyone purchased a bike rack for their IS?

I was interested in doing a trailer hitch style, but it seems there isnt a trailer hitch out reasonably priced that won't require modification to the rear bumper.
Old 09-06-07, 08:46 PM
Tcapone1
Rookie

How much did they charge you for the install?

It would be nice if you could get some sort of cap to put over the trailer hitch, when not in use.

My only use for this will be for my Bike. I do a lot of trail riding.
Old 09-06-07, 11:01 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Yakima makes an overhead rack.

Or look into the Saris, Thule or Yakima trunk racks.
Old 10-28-07, 02:14 PM
revitupwio
Driver

So I'm assuming that no one has found a trailer hitch for the ISx50s yet? I called a place here in Houston that is going to see about fabricating a unit that doesn't require cutting the bumper. Would anyone else be interested enough for me to tell the guy about you?

edit: All I'm looking for is a bike rack for 2 mountain bikes that doesn't scratch the paint or dent the car...
Old 10-29-07, 06:04 AM
revitupwio
Driver

bump...no one at all?
Old 11-09-07, 02:28 PM
revitupwio
Driver

Found a guy here in Houston that has done an 2GIS before & will put one on my car, which you can see only about 3/4 of an inch of the hitch underneath the car, for $495. he can also do a "vertical hitch" for a little more, which you would not be able to see at all.

I think I'm going to get the regular one next week, in case anyone's interested about having this done.
Old 11-10-07, 12:03 PM
rroy
Pole Position

please take some photos once complete. I really want to put a rack on my car but I dont want to put a roof rack on. Im thinking of getting a trunk rack and just make sure all the contact points are clean to prevent scratches as much as possible. I think that is the best choice if you're looking to haul just bikes. No cutting the rear bumper, and dont have the "permanent" roof rack. And it happens to be the cheapest option.
Old 11-10-07, 03:31 PM
accelerate
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by revitupwio
bump...no one at all?
How about this from Lexus of Europe. Maybe we could have one of our vendors get a group buy for us.
http://www.lexus.co.uk/lexus_cars/is..._exterior1.asp
Old 11-10-07, 06:11 PM
revitupwio
Driver

Originally Posted by rroy
please take some photos once complete. I really want to put a rack on my car but I dont want to put a roof rack on. Im thinking of getting a trunk rack and just make sure all the contact points are clean to prevent scratches as much as possible. I think that is the best choice if you're looking to haul just bikes. No cutting the rear bumper, and dont have the "permanent" roof rack. And it happens to be the cheapest option.

Just to clarify, there's only going to be about .75" of the hitch visible at all under the bumper cover and there will be no cutting of the bumper cover at all. That's one requirement I have. I remember seeing a picture of a member's car that had the hitch coming up in front of the bumper cover...ain't happenin.

Although it's going to end up being about $600 (hitch + receiver), I much prefer it to having a trunk rack denting & scratching my trunk up (think of the re-paint bill you know you'll have in a few years) or a roof rack that scratches my roof & is a ***** to get off.

I'll definitely post pics asap - he's got a huge set of jobs at the beginning of the week, but it only takes a day, so when I get my car in there, the pics will be up that night.
Old 11-10-07, 11:47 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My tri-bike fits in the trunk by taking off both wheels. No big deal. Have you tried?

Aloha,
Larry
Old 11-11-07, 10:35 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spin
I have a trailer hitch mounted on my IS, went to some local shop and they cut a hole in the middle of my rear bumper and welded it, gave it a nice and clean factory look. I use mine to tow a trailer with an ATV for when i go mudding. I'll take pics in the morning
OMG your kidding!?!? Wow... If I remember correctly the manual even states to never put a tow hitch or tow anything with the IS. Crazy.
Old 11-11-07, 12:07 PM
revitupwio
Driver

Originally Posted by ben_r_
OMG your kidding!?!? Wow... If I remember correctly the manual even states to never put a tow hitch or tow anything with the IS. Crazy.
no joke...the two mountain bikes are alright IMO since they don't weigh more than a trunk full of luggage. Pulling a trailer warrants getting another vehicle (old jeep cherokee FTW) in my opinion.
Old 11-11-07, 12:10 PM
revitupwio
Driver

Originally Posted by Larrym9681
My tri-bike fits in the trunk by taking off both wheels. No big deal. Have you tried?

Aloha,
Larry
weird...I remember typing a response to this, but there's not one there...

anywho, yeah, I've tried taking off the wheels & I can hardly fit my wife's bike in there by taking the time & effort to take off both wheels, let alone cram both our bikes in the one trunk. we'd have to take both ISs (yeah, we both have one) just to ride bikes.
Old 11-11-07, 04:49 PM
lexem
Pole Position

Here is my post. It's the lexus roof rack and 2 bike holders.
It's very easy to remove and install. I only have it on the car when I'm going to use it.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=265663

Last edited by lexem; 11-11-07 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-11-07, 06:50 PM
revitupwio
Driver

Thanks for the thread, lexem, but I've actually read through it and decided that I didn't like the roof rack for a couple of reasons - it's a lot of trouble to take off & put on (compared to a quick insert of a hitch) and it will rub the paint (c'mon...admit it - it'll rub a little bit), and it will end up costing almost the same amount as the hitch + receiver.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bike rack