IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

15k Intermediate Service = $479.99?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-07, 11:17 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15k Intermediate Service = $479.99?!

I called Lindsay Lexus today to see how much their intermediate service was. For an oil change, chassis/suspension inspection, filter replacement, road test, brake inspection, transmission inspection, wipers, tire pressure/rotation etc. etc. the total comes to $479.99. This sounds ludicrous. My oil maintenance light just came on and I am in dire need of an oil change, but if this is what they are going to charge me...well I might as well do it myself. Is this intermediate service truly necessary? And how long can I drive before my engine starts messing up, I'm about 200 miles away from 5000. or 14,000 total miles (premature I know, I got my 10k service at 9,800 or so).
Old 08-29-07, 11:27 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Relax ..... just get an oil change/filter for about $50. The other 'inspection' stuff isn't really necessary unless you are having issues with these things. You can inspect your own tires, wiper blades, cabin filters, and air filter yourself. Save yourself some money.
Old 08-29-07, 11:50 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not a big fan of the 15k mile checkup.

Oil change, A/C filter change, and check-up.

Get an oil change. Change the A/C filter yourself. Save yourself $450...
Old 08-29-07, 12:00 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Do you guys know how to reset the oil maintenance indicator on the dash? I am at work and too lazy to look through my manual. Also, should I order cabin/ac filters through autozone or should I just go to the parts dept at Lindsay Lexus?

And yes, I am not doing the 15k service (robbery), I have brand new tires on all 4 corners, the brakes have recently been replaced, the transmission is fine...so F lexus and their money making machine.

lol..500 dollars my ****.

Last edited by NovaIS350; 08-29-07 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-29-07, 12:16 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Must be a NoVa thing. My Dad just took his LS430 in for a 10k service and they're charging him $180 for basically the same thing (oil/filter, AC filter, tire rotation, inspections). . .
Old 08-29-07, 12:16 PM
supaIS350
Lead Lap

wait til the 30k for the service.
Old 08-29-07, 12:49 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
Do you guys know how to reset the oil maintenance indicator on the dash? I am at work and too lazy to look through my manual. Also, should I order cabin/ac filters through autozone or should I just go to the parts dept at Lindsay Lexus?
The reset procedure is in the FAQ sticky at the top of the forum.

I'd stick with the OEM filter. The part is around $32 (less a 10% discount with the CL discount) at forum sponsor Sewell Lexus http://www.lexus-parts.com. Your dealer may be a few bucks higher.
Old 08-29-07, 01:08 PM
tjZ06
Driver

I have a very good friend who's a Lexus Master Tech. Of course he "helps out" with my services, but he also filled me in on what the 15k is.

Mostly it's the oil/filter change, diff fluid change, air filter change, oil and fuel additives, lots of inspections (brakes, chassis, trans, blah blah) and a few other little things (I believe he did say cabin air filter, but I don't remember).

I just had the oil change done, bought the air filter myself, he "helped me out" on the diff fluid change, and I'll probably do the cabin filter myself soon.

As for those additives, he said they actually are helpful, not just BS stuff like you might guess. Keep in mind the IS250 injectors operate at ~2,000psi so impurities could be a big problem. I'm going to buy those and add them myself as well.

He also recommended that people get the diff fluid done, or do it themselves. He said the magnetic drain plug always has a TON of junk on it at the first change. It's 100% common and not a problem, and only happens on the first change but he does recommend doing it to get that stuff outta there.

Again, he's a very good friend of mine so I know he's not just pullin' my chain.

-TJ
Old 08-29-07, 01:17 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You dont need it, just get a 50 dollar oil change. Its a Toyota for goodness sake!
Old 08-29-07, 05:59 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Like what everybody's saying go for $50 oil change. But if you want your complete inspection done, go to a reputable shop(I really mean a reputable shop - like your trusted mechanic) and have all the inspection done for half the price.
Old 08-30-07, 12:49 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tjZ06
Mostly it's the oil/filter change, diff fluid change,
Didn't realize the diff fluid was done at 15k, really? Is that standard? Guess I'll have to go look in my manual..
Old 08-30-07, 04:46 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
Didn't realize the diff fluid was done at 15k, really? Is that standard? Guess I'll have to go look in my manual..
It isn't, Lexus recommendation for changing the differential fluid is 60k.
Old 08-30-07, 08:11 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by NovaIS350

And yes, I am not doing the 15k service (robbery), I have brand new tires on all 4 corners, the brakes have recently been replaced, the transmission is fine...so F lexus and their money making machine.

lol..500 dollars my ****.
From your SN you seem to have an IS350 so you dont need tire rotation! I actually recommend leaving the air filter for 30k miles unless you drive in desert conditions which in VA i doubt it. I always leave my air filters in for 30k miles and I get a Used Oil Analysis done at every 5k oil change and they come back fantastic!!! Air filters get more efficient as they age...Diff and transmission change can be done at 30k even though lexus says 60k. Cabin filter can wait till 30k. Its one thing thats the least important when it comes to engine longevity since all a cabin filter does is filter cabin air. Go to a reputable mechanic and bring him a filter and some synthetic oil(pennz platinum would be my choice) or take it to a toyota dealership and they will probably do it for less than $30. $450-$30=$420. Spend that amount on a hot chick(if you're not married) and hope you'll get lucky but money better spent
Old 08-30-07, 08:27 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kingofire
From your SN you seem to have an IS350 so you dont need tire rotation! I actually recommend leaving the air filter for 30k miles unless you drive in desert conditions which in VA i doubt it. I always leave my air filters in for 30k miles and I get a Used Oil Analysis done at every 5k oil change and they come back fantastic!!! Air filters get more efficient as they age...Diff and transmission change can be done at 30k even though lexus says 60k. Cabin filter can wait till 30k. Its one thing thats the least important when it comes to engine longevity since all a cabin filter does is filter cabin air. Go to a reputable mechanic and bring him a filter and some synthetic oil(pennz platinum would be my choice) or take it to a toyota dealership and they will probably do it for less than $30. $450-$30=$420. Spend that amount on a hot chick(if you're not married) and hope you'll get lucky but money better spent

I wasn't posting this as a question of whether or not I should do the 15k service...more so shedding light on to how car manufacturers, specifically car dealerships will try to rob the average consumer and if indeed there was anything special about the 15k service. I have been told many times , we had to rotate your tires etc etc...my question for them is always, "why did you rotate my tires, I have a staggered setup." I hate dealerships.
Old 08-30-07, 09:07 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i would not wait 30k for a cabin filter by 10-15k miles pull it out and ask yourself if it will last till 30k, those get dirty real quick

Quick Reply: 15k Intermediate Service = $479.99?!