IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Clicking noise when going over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-07, 11:57 AM
LexIS250SS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have similar problem. I hear a clunking noise when driving over rough road/bumps. This started after I lowered my car with Eibach.
Old 08-16-07, 12:37 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Just an observation, but it appears everyone in this thread has a 2007. My '06 doesn't have this sound at all.

Does this mean it's only on '07s? Probably not, but figured i woudl throw that out there...
Old 08-16-07, 12:55 PM
IS250SoCal
Lead Lap

I hope its only the 07's for your sake. This /clicking/clanking/clunking noise is startin to make me angry. I'm going by the dealership 2day!
Old 08-16-07, 09:02 PM
tmag
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS250SoCal
I hope its only the 07's for your sake. This /clicking/clanking/clunking noise is startin to make me angry. I'm going by the dealership 2day!
Keep us updated to what the dealership say about the clicks.
Old 08-16-07, 09:09 PM
shinbrianj
Driver

It had to do with the E-brake as someone said before. They will fix it for free. I got mine fixed and it was fine for about a month, but came back..... gonna go to the dealership again.
Old 08-17-07, 09:36 AM
IS250SoCal
Lead Lap

Default Rant

So I went to the dealership..............

I am beginning to wonder about the whole "Pursuit of Perfection" stuff.

I love my car. I first saw the new body style early in 06. Ever since then I have done research about the car, see how well Lexus cars hold their value, and everything in between. So get this straight, I love my IS!

Service. It seems like with Lexus it’s either really good or what I have experienced, horrible! For some reason I always seem to find people at "a" dealership that don’t know their *** from their elbow when it comes to helping me with my car troubles.

Bottom line......... I took 3 different car tech guys for a ride so they could hear what the heck I was talking about. No one knew what to fix, say, or tell me what was wrong. F the BS! I thought I had taken my car to a circus to way people were running around. Oh well, what’s done is done.

From now on, I'm taking my car to someone who knows cars, and loves to everything about cars. With all the stories I hear about "bad" dealerships I can't take that gamble. My car means too much to me.
Old 08-17-07, 11:41 AM
tmag
Pole Position

Sorry to hear that. So they just shruged their shoulders and that was it? Did you talk to a service manager? Hope this gets resloved soon and info passed to all the dealerships. Seems like many has had or have this problem.
Old 08-30-07, 12:07 AM
GRAPHyte
Driver School Candidate

I've got my 07' is250 at the dealer service right now. They're replacing the E-Brake shoe and compression tensioner. They say this may or may not fix it and Lexus has yet to come up with a fix for it. The Senior Tech informed me that a guy had complained of the same sound about 2 months ago and he hasn't come back yet complaining. This sound is buggin me, hopefully this will work.
Old 08-30-07, 12:13 AM
S54toIS350
Lexus Champion

Ever since owning my car over a year ago, I've experienced so many weird indescribable noise, that I've given up.

Do what I did, live with it... its a Lexus, what can possibly go wrong?
Old 09-17-07, 12:41 PM
tmag
Pole Position

Well got my car back finally, took them 2 days (also did the AUX TSIB). So far clicking is gone (knock knock on wood). I don't know excatly what they did cause the my service advisor was not there on sat. and he didn't finish the work order report. But I think the service tech. said something about adjusting my parking brake. I'll post the details later when I get the work order in the mail.
Old 11-30-07, 09:34 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS250SoCal
So I went to the dealership..............

I am beginning to wonder about the whole "Pursuit of Perfection" stuff.

I love my car. I first saw the new body style early in 06. Ever since then I have done research about the car, see how well Lexus cars hold their value, and everything in between. So get this straight, I love my IS!

Service. It seems like with Lexus it’s either really good or what I have experienced, horrible! For some reason I always seem to find people at "a" dealership that don’t know their *** from their elbow when it comes to helping me with my car troubles.

Bottom line......... I took 3 different car tech guys for a ride so they could hear what the heck I was talking about. No one knew what to fix, say, or tell me what was wrong. F the BS! I thought I had taken my car to a circus to way people were running around. Oh well, what’s done is done.

From now on, I'm taking my car to someone who knows cars, and loves to everything about cars. With all the stories I hear about "bad" dealerships I can't take that gamble. My car means too much to me.
Your reaction sounds to me like your leaving the technician (or service) department responsible for the cars annoying noises. They are there to service your vehicle based on their experience and knowledge. They didn't make the vehicle. They also have limits to what they can and cannot do on the vehicle. The can't modify anything on your car unless it has been looked over and approved by Lexus engineering. There are certain repairs that are considered factory approved repairs and others that are require reviewing.

You're bitterness about dealerships has been introduced to you from others who have flaunted about their ill. Have anyone ever asked those same people if they have EVER had any good experiences? They wouldn't ever remember since they feel like its owed to them as though they have a higher level of expectation than what they are certain about themselves.

Bare in mind that certain items on the vehicle are sometimes considered characteristics and can't be resolved or are simply pending investigation by engineering. It isn't like your vehicle is rendered inoperative and immobile. You won't have any issues with your vehicle while you're in motion like a brake system or suspension malfunction that could jeopordize your safety other wise your service department wouldn't have returned your vehicle back to you. Being persistent is one thing, being belligerent is another and no sane business will tolerate that (I'm not saying you have been or have for that matter). Try to see things in the grey and not just black and white. This machine has a lot of complex mechanisms working in it and not everything in there will be 100% perfect otherwise you wouldn't need a warranty on it.

Lexus cars hold their value from their excellent service. Both, dealerships and Lexus as a company strive to maintain and exceed this and do so while placing placing everyone else to shame. After all they are #1 for customer satisfaction by JD power and associates. Being number one means everyone else wants to be there. It also means you can't move any further but moving to #2 isn't an option. Everyone else can immitate you, however flattering it maybe, but you have to remain everchanging and creative to be that much further than everyone else since you can't learn from others while they do whatever they can to try to shadow you.

If you've taken your vehicle several times to the dealership and haven't had your issue resolved (make sure you have had the dealership create a repair order), you should take your concern directly to the manufacturer's customer service.

-Joe
Old 12-01-07, 10:46 AM
duchitel
Driver School Candidate

Default yup

Yea i have experienced that problem too. It sounds like the car is breaking...
Old 12-07-07, 10:19 AM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea got same prob here.. i thought it was the tires or suspension..and i have a 07 is350
Old 12-07-07, 10:39 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Check your emergency brake. The adjustment is very critical. I had this clicking/rattle coming from the rear. It took 3 adjustments until the senior Tech told me that each rear wheel has to be separately adjusted perfectly and then the slack has to be taken out of the cable. No more noise.

Koz
Old 01-28-11, 09:43 PM
sovok
Driver School Candidate

Default IS250 Clicking noise

So I have the same problem. When I go over bumps, or rough spots on the road I hear a clicking noise and it seems to come from the front end of the car. Maybe the front suspension. I do not feel any vibration at the steering wheel when that click noise happens.
I went to the dealer and they want to charge me $120/h for the tech to look for the issue It seems to me that many of us are having the same issue. Is there a recall for this? I have 2008 IS250 (not AWD). I noticed the clicking when I bought the car 1 year ago and since then its getting louder. I have 33k miles.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Clicking noise when going over bumps