IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 12-15-14, 12:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Possible to install OEM Navi unit on my non Navi IS250?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-07, 05:17 PM
Pineapple

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible to install OEM Navi unit on my non Navi IS250?

So I'm starting to regret not getting Navi and all the extras that come with that (bluetooth, rear backup camera?). Assuming I can get a new/used OEM Lexus ISx50 Navi for a good price, would it be possible to install it into my non Navi and have it fully functional? Would it be a straight forward install where it would just plug into the current systems (already has plugs installed), or would it be complicated where you would have to use adapters, tap into certain lines and some options might not function?
Old 08-10-07, 05:29 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pineapple
So I'm starting to regret not getting Navi and all the extras that come with that (bluetooth, rear backup camera?). Assuming I can get a new/used OEM Lexus ISx50 Navi for a good price, would it be possible to install it into my non Navi and have it fully functional? Would it be a straight forward install where it would just plug into the current systems (already has plugs installed), or would it be complicated where you would have to use adapters, tap into certain lines and some options might not function?
I don't have a solid answer for you on this.

However, I can tell you that the entire dash is different. It's not like they just replaced a double-DIN radio with a DD nav unit. All the buttons and such are part of the dash itself.

But, having first-hand experience in a Land Cruiser with NAVI, it's a nice toy but annoying always having to hit "I agree" and always hitting "climate" to change the A/C settings.

Personally, I like the simplicity and "non-cluttered" look of the dash of the non-navi setup. (not to go against any of those with the navi) Unfortunately, the one thing that I kinda wish I had was the backup camera that's only available with the nav option (but, luckily, I at least have park-assist, which is a lot better than nothing)
Old 08-10-07, 05:52 PM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the controls on the steering wheel are different as well. There is also a mic somewhere in the dash. It might be easier going with an aftermarket nav unit or even one of those portable ones.
Old 08-10-07, 06:09 PM
NotoriousB
Driver School Candidate

I remember seeing a dude do this some time ago and wondering if it could be done, I would have got nav myself but in Canada you can't buy a is250 rwd with nav, its not a factory option like in the US!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...NAVI+installed
Old 08-10-07, 06:48 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Is it possible? Yes. Is it easy or cheap? Not by a long shot. Not only do you have to track down an OEM Navigation unit (if you don't want to fork out $5000+ for a new one), but it's a nightmare to install - most definitely not plug-and-play.

Javier
Old 08-10-07, 08:32 PM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

what he said^^^^^
Old 08-10-07, 08:36 PM
iexpress
Pole Position

Non navi or even with navi, it is possible. I have done it in my car.

Check it out and let me know if you like it:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=285331
Old 07-14-17, 03:58 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Fast forward to 2017.

I've had a few reads into this little venture and i think i have found a unit (only the LCD screen part not the CD bottom section). If don't mind NOT having a rear camera or ML I just wanted the GPS and the normal functions of the non nav unit. Can i install the unit given it is from the sane year is it plug and play to this point or do still need something else?
The following users liked this post:
Djardy07 (09-15-20)