IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Window Tint Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-07, 05:56 AM
cane2263
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Tint Help

My next purchase is going to be window tint and since I have the black outside and black inside I think I need the darkest legal to help keep things cool.

So, since I have never purchased window tint, I need someone's advice/help. I usually just shop around for the cheapest price on things but I realize that sometimes you get what you pay for and there could be a lot of variations of tint quality.

1. What price range should I expect as being reasonable for the IS250?

2. Anything specific I should make sure the tint has or doesn't have? I am sure the places will be selling why there tint is best......

3. With a black car does just the black tint look best or does something a little reflective or mettalic look better?

4. If you have a black 250 can you post a picture of what you got?

Thanks in advance for the advice.....
Old 08-08-07, 06:46 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

ive been driving cars with way darker than legal tint in colorado for about 16 years. i have received 1 ticket in all that time and all they do is give you a 50.00 fine, with odds like that im willing to risk it, 50 bucks isnt going to stop me from having dark tinted windows. its up to you, and your state may be different from mine but i have an appt today in about 2 hours for clear bra and tint, just like last time it will be 20% which works out to be about 15% once installed on factory tinted glass.
Old 08-08-07, 01:58 PM
cane2263
Driver School Candidate

I keep seeing the clear bra thing, what exactly is that?

As for the tint, it already looks a little dark since I have black and black and cops here are a PITA, so I might just stick with the darkest legal. In Miami I had darker than legal tint and just liek you got only one ticket in all my years. Here the cops have nothing better to do though....lol.

What kind/brand of tint are you getting?
Old 08-08-07, 03:04 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

i got lumar 15% ill take a pic one of these days
clear bra is just what it implies, a clear thin protective film applied to the hood, sometimes lights and front bumper that protects the car from rock chips which are very common in states where it snows and they use gravel on the roads for traction.
Old 08-08-07, 04:27 PM
cane2263
Driver School Candidate

Ah, thanks, so I guess here in NC I don't need the clear bra then. Not much bad weather to warrant it. I would definitely be interested in seeing your pics whenever ou do have the time, thanks
Old 08-08-07, 04:51 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Look before you go asking about brands of tint heres something to think of:

Go see your friends cars and their tints, if you like what you see ask them what shop they goto and if they would recomend them for you. Then when you goto the shop ask them what film they would recomend. Rather than shopping for tint film you should shop for craftsmanship and quality of work first.

Just my opinion.
Old 08-08-07, 05:08 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Make sure your tint doesn't interfere with the navigation system if you have one.
Old 08-08-07, 05:13 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cane2263
My next purchase is going to be window tint and since I have the black outside and black inside I think I need the darkest legal to help keep things cool.

So, since I have never purchased window tint, I need someone's advice/help. I usually just shop around for the cheapest price on things but I realize that sometimes you get what you pay for and there could be a lot of variations of tint quality.

2. Anything specific I should make sure the tint has or doesn't have? I am sure the places will be selling why there tint is best......

3. With a black car does just the black tint look best or does something a little reflective or mettalic look better?

Mine is 25% ceramic tint all around the sides and back of the car. I don't have black, but I have smokey granite mica, which is kinda close. Here are some pics. I got mine for included for "free" as part of my deal.

Old 08-09-07, 12:37 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS250 4 Me
Make sure your tint doesn't interfere with the navigation system if you have one.
the navi and sat radio antenna are on the roof, so the titnt makes no difference, there is a chance the AM radio reception may be affected, but who cares?
Old 08-09-07, 12:48 PM
cane2263
Driver School Candidate

I was just going to ask where the Nav was but you answered it, thanks!

Where is the AM just out of curiosity?

And has anyone had any issues with any reception from anything after having tint put on?
Old 08-09-07, 01:07 PM
italiandud
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cane2263

well i live in Los Angeles, and i found a good tint place for about 170 for the IS 250, other places might take you all the way to 140, but i dont think they are as reliable..
Old 08-11-07, 01:54 PM
ub2slow
Rookie

Here is my black tint. I'm illegal here in Nebraska but don't expect any problems. They usually only mess with you if you are a kid or really jacking around.

By ub2slow2
Old 08-11-07, 03:04 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
the navi and sat radio antenna are on the roof, so the titnt makes no difference, there is a chance the AM radio reception may be affected, but who cares?
Unless they have changed for 2007 I believe the Nav antenna looks up through the front windshield. 2006 Is's don't have the shark fin antenna so it's not on the roof.

Originally Posted by ub2slow
Here is my black tint. I'm illegal here in Nebraska but don't expect any problems. They usually only mess with you if you are a kid or really jacking around.
Your's is the first IS I've seen with gold emblems. Have any pics of the back? I'd like to see how they look.

Last edited by Evitzee; 08-11-07 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-11-07, 04:19 PM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

here's mine, 15% done first for free by JM Lexus and then 5% on top of the 15 by a professional shop

Old 08-11-07, 07:38 PM
caudlek
Driver

Showing you this PIC just for reference. I did not install the tint on my is350 myself so I don’t know exactly what it is ,,,,, but it looks like the 50% I put on my is300 (is there a 60% ??). Most owners of black seem to want to go real dark but I even found the 30% on my Mazda6 GT too dark.

KC

Quick Reply: Window Tint Help