IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help, my 250's sunroof wont close

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-07, 05:30 PM
importbeat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, my 250's sunroof wont close

I had my sunroof open last night on the drive home and now it wont close. its like open half way and it seems like its everytime i try to close it, it hits a sensor or something and opens back up...Anyone know how to manually close it for now? Till i can take it to the dealership.

thanks
Old 08-05-07, 05:33 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There may be something stuck on the track, triggering the safety sensor.

Make sure the track is clear of any obstruction. If that still does not work, take it to the dealer.

Good luck!
Old 08-05-07, 05:40 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just make sure the car isnt on if your sticking your head thru the sunroof, whats that movie? Final Destination
Old 08-05-07, 05:57 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No this happened to me too. It's also in the manual about this problem. It happened a while ago so I don't know if this is exactly it. You are just supposed to turn the dial back to the close position, and press and hold the button for like I think 5 or so seconds. It resets and so it stays closed after that.
Old 07-07-15, 11:33 AM
usna2011
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Short version: Sunroof won't close (really a Sunroof won't open situation)
Fix: Place sunroof selector **** in the auto setting and hold for about 30 seconds as it goes through a open and close sequence (tilt up, close, slide back, close) that should fix it.

Long Version: Car was left in the ignition on setting (two pushes of the start button with out pushing the brake pedal) Drained the battery it had 5 volts when i checked it with the volt meter. After charging the battery I went to the gym and tried to open the sunroof trying to use the auto open function (using the **** in until it starts to slide back) the sunroof moved so i let go. I notice it stopped moving so I held the **** in again. The sunroof went the tilt setting. At this point I was like WTF is happening. All I wanted to do at this point was close it. So I thought I had a problem were the sunroof would not close. I would hold the auto button and I could here the motor make noise. Thought I needed a new motor. What really happened was when I held the button in the auto setting I was running what some call it the "sync function". Kind of the same one you run when you set up your windows to work in auto again after disconnecting the battery. Well when I would release the **** it would stop the sync. So I really had a fail to open sunroof problem. After holding the sunroof **** in auto for about 30 seconds as it goes through a open and close sequence (tilt up, close, slide back, close) that should fix it. Hopes it helps.

I've gotten so much help from this site. It has save me Thousands of $$$.
Old 07-07-15, 01:26 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Well, you've already went through the process that fixes 99% of all of the other sunroof-related issues. My only additional advice would be to disconnect the battery for 20 minutes, and reconnect. Try the "reset" sequence again. Cross your fingers!
Old 07-08-15, 10:19 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This happened to me,

I forced the sunroof by pushing it while it closed until it finally locked.

took to dealer, they said they had to adjust the track a bit

Charged me around 140$ to fix.

Hope this helped.
Old 07-29-17, 08:45 AM
ayosincere
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sun roof/ moonroof

select auto on the dial. Push and hold the dial in for about 5-10 seconds. This should reset the safety mechanism. After, It should close again as normal.
Old 07-29-17, 09:01 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

OK - You guys have answered a TEN year old thread

Hope the OP solved his problem

Lou
Old 11-12-17, 07:37 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Mine just started not closing tonight. I held down the **** in the "close" position for ten seconds, then it closed all the way. But then I tested it again after, and it's still not closing all the way. To fully reset it, does the car have to be driven or shut off, then turned back on ? Or do I have a more serious problem? Nothing is in the tracks as far as I can see (although I admit it probably could use some lube/grease). Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 02-06-22, 05:52 PM
aaguilar11
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thank you so much. It worked like a charm

Originally Posted by usna2011
Short version: Sunroof won't close (really a Sunroof won't open situation)
Fix: Place sunroof selector **** in the auto setting and hold for about 30 seconds as it goes through a open and close sequence (tilt up, close, slide back, close) that should fix it.

Long Version: Car was left in the ignition on setting (two pushes of the start button with out pushing the brake pedal) Drained the battery it had 5 volts when i checked it with the volt meter. After charging the battery I went to the gym and tried to open the sunroof trying to use the auto open function (using the **** in until it starts to slide back) the sunroof moved so i let go. I notice it stopped moving so I held the **** in again. The sunroof went the tilt setting. At this point I was like WTF is happening. All I wanted to do at this point was close it. So I thought I had a problem were the sunroof would not close. I would hold the auto button and I could here the motor make noise. Thought I needed a new motor. What really happened was when I held the button in the auto setting I was running what some call it the "sync function". Kind of the same one you run when you set up your windows to work in auto again after disconnecting the battery. Well when I would release the **** it would stop the sync. So I really had a fail to open sunroof problem. After holding the sunroof **** in auto for about 30 seconds as it goes through a open and close sequence (tilt up, close, slide back, close) that should fix it. Hopes it helps.

I've gotten so much help from this site. It has save me Thousands of $$$.
Thank you so much. It worked like a charm