Print Wikipost

DIY: 2007 ISX50 OEM XM Satellite Radio Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-07, 05:17 PM
TampaIS250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sdub74
I just ordered mine last night, and since I'm super impatient when I know I have a new toy on the way, did they ship pretty quickly? I'm hoping I get it by the end of the week so I have the weekend to play with it.

I ordered on Saturday evening, recieved it Friday afternoon. Not the quickest but not the slowest either.
Old 08-29-07, 09:55 AM
devanaire0
Driver

Default XM radio not working...after working for a couple weeks...

Hey everybody. I am wondering if anyone has had this problem.

I installed the xm radio after reading this thread back in July. Got it activated and everything worked great. Then like 2 weeks ago, my xm radio would work for about a minute or two, and then it will show loading and no signal. I thought that maybe it was due to the rain we have had in WI at first, but its been like two weeks now, and its to the point where I am lucky when I do get the service now.

I have tried to refresh it by calling cust. service and doing it myself online. No luck. The cust. service at xm said to take it to the dealer so they can reposition the antenna. And I don't know if I should because it was a DIY.

Should I take it to the dealer, or should I get back in the trunk and see if a wire is loose or something?

Please help...my free 3 month subscription is fading fast.
Old 08-29-07, 09:59 AM
PNice972
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by devanaire0
Hey everybody. I am wondering if anyone has had this problem.

I installed the xm radio after reading this thread back in July. Got it activated and everything worked great. Then like 2 weeks ago, my xm radio would work for about a minute or two, and then it will show loading and no signal. I thought that maybe it was due to the rain we have had in WI at first, but its been like two weeks now, and its to the point where I am lucky when I do get the service now.

I have tried to refresh it by calling cust. service and doing it myself online. No luck. The cust. service at xm said to take it to the dealer so they can reposition the antenna. And I don't know if I should because it was a DIY.

Should I take it to the dealer, or should I get back in the trunk and see if a wire is loose or something?

Please help...my free 3 month subscription is fading fast.
I had this exact problem a while back and it was the connection between the antenna and the module. I just readjusted it and it worked again.
Old 08-30-07, 09:42 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Has anyone done this install in an '06? How much more difficult may it be? Am I better of just going with the dealership?
Old 08-30-07, 05:52 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
Has anyone done this install in an '06? How much more difficult may it be? Am I better of just going with the dealership?
I'll be doing it on mine this weekend. I don't think it will be any different...you just have to route the antenna where you want it.
Old 08-30-07, 06:14 PM
sdub74
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikes rx
I'll be doing it on mine this weekend. I don't think it will be any different...you just have to route the antenna where you want it.
Where are you planning on putting your antenna? Hopefully mine comes tomorrow *fingers crossed* so I can install in this weekend also. I want to put the antenna behind the rear window, hope that's easy enough to do.
Old 08-30-07, 08:42 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Cool, keep us posted! Is there any drilling involved? Does the antenna need to be on the exterior of the car?

What was your total cost for supplies?
Old 08-31-07, 03:55 AM
mikes rx

Is there any drilling involved?

As far as I can tell, no drilling is involved

Does the antenna need to be on the exterior of the car?

The instructions show it on the edge of the trunk lid, but I'm going to try placing it on/under the package tray first

What was your total cost for supplies?

I got mine from Sewell Lexus using the CL promo code (which is what Ben_r did) There's no difference in price for the 06 vs 07 models (so, theoretically, the antenna is FREE)
Old 08-31-07, 03:43 PM
sdub74
Rookie

Just got my kit yesterday (after Sewell delivered to my home instead of work like I requested) so it looks like there will be a few of us '06 early adopters installing XM this weekend.

Happy installs gentlemen!
Old 09-01-07, 01:09 PM
mikes rx

Well, I just got done finishing up my install. Quite easy...the only real hang up was figuring out a good place for the antenna (I did not like it on the trunk, and it did not work under the parcel tray), and a small hang-up with the "which harness goes where" interface cables (there are TWO open harnesses in the trunk)

But, overall, it was still super easy. My only advice would be to take out the amp to disconnect the harnesses, as it makes installation a lot easier.

Also, in case you're wondering, I ended up putting the antenna on the lower right corner of the rear window glass. With the recessed rear glass, the antenna and the c-pillar sit flush with each other, and looks more like a GPS antenna or something rather than the obvious XM antenna.

Last edited by mikes rx; 09-01-07 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-01-07, 03:36 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Mike,

I'm so glad to hear that it worked out well with the antenna INSIDE the glass. Do you have tinted windows? Would you please let us know if you have any problems maintaining a signal while driving? If it works well for you, I'm TOTALLY going to do it too!
Old 09-01-07, 05:23 PM
mikes rx

Originally Posted by Gernby
Mike,

I'm so glad to hear that it worked out well with the antenna INSIDE the glass. Do you have tinted windows? Would you please let us know if you have any problems maintaining a signal while driving? If it works well for you, I'm TOTALLY going to do it too!
Sorry for the ambiguity...the antenna is on the OUTSIDE of the glass, not the inside.

But, I can tell you that the reception has not cut out yet, eventhough I'm on the east coast (at the beach, which means that I really only have one line of sight/tangent for the satellite).

In regard to the tint...yes I do have tinted windows, and I think that was part of the problem for why it didn't work under the package tray.
Old 09-01-07, 07:36 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Sorry for the ambiguity...the antenna is on the OUTSIDE of the glass, not the inside.

But, I can tell you that the reception has not cut out yet, eventhough I'm on the east coast (at the beach, which means that I really only have one line of sight/tangent for the satellite).

In regard to the tint...yes I do have tinted windows, and I think that was part of the problem for why it didn't work under the package tray.
That's really disappointing... What's a "package tray"? Would you please post a picture of the antenna where you mounted it?
Old 09-01-07, 11:17 PM
sdub74
Rookie

Well, I just got done finishing up my install. Quite easy...the only real hang up was figuring out a good place for the antenna (I did not like it on the trunk, and it did not work under the parcel tray), and a small hang-up with the "which harness goes where" interface cables (there are TWO open harnesses in the trunk)

But, overall, it was still super easy. My only advice would be to take out the amp to disconnect the harnesses, as it makes installation a lot easier.

Also, in case you're wondering, I ended up putting the antenna on the lower right corner of the rear window glass. With the recessed rear glass, the antenna and the c-pillar sit flush with each other, and looks more like a GPS antenna or something rather than the obvious XM antenna.
I put it behind the glass on the inside corner (I'm guessing this is what you mean by parcel tray) and I'm getting the signal coming in and out more than I'd like. Just driving down a tree lined street drops out signal, where my dad and brother don't have this problem. I like the idea of the corner of the glass, I'll have to re-position it there tomorrow. Unfortunately I have to take apart everything to change the antenna location

I was worried it wouldn't work behind the tinted windows, but the guy at Lexus said that's where they normally install, so it shouldn't be a problem, I should have known better.
Old 09-02-07, 03:56 AM
mikes rx

Originally Posted by Gernby
That's really disappointing... What's a "package tray"? Would you please post a picture of the antenna where you mounted it?
I'm calling the package tray the rear deck where the third brake light and the rear "sub" mount. I was told by Sewell that they have had luck with people putting it under there (ie-putting it underneath the upper trunk carpet). But, that didn't work for me too well, as it was cutting in and out too much.

I don't have my camera right now, but I should have it later today, and I will try to get a pic then.

Quick Reply: DIY: 2007 ISX50 OEM XM Satellite Radio Install