IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

single pop during acceleration/braking??

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-07, 07:14 PM
triple_c
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question single pop during acceleration/braking??

Hi all,

Been reading these forums for a while (mostly happy owner of a 1 month old is250). Recently though I've gotten this really weird tapping sound, as if there were a body in my trunk tapping on something plastic. I checked already, no body but that noise is really bugging me. Its a single tap/clunk when I accelerate from a stop and when I brake. If I accelerate and it pops once, it won't make that noise anymore until I stop and accelerate again. I've checked everything that is possible for me to check without ripping things apart. Anybody have this sound or know of what could possibly be causing it?
Old 07-26-07, 07:32 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car clunks, rattles, and squeaks like no other.
Old 07-26-07, 08:19 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by triple_c
Hi all,

Been reading these forums for a while (mostly happy owner of a 1 month old is250). Recently though I've gotten this really weird tapping sound, as if there were a body in my trunk tapping on something plastic. I checked already, no body but that noise is really bugging me. Its a single tap/clunk when I accelerate from a stop and when I brake. If I accelerate and it pops once, it won't make that noise anymore until I stop and accelerate again. I've checked everything that is possible for me to check without ripping things apart. Anybody have this sound or know of what could possibly be causing it?
Did you check your spare wheel storage compartment for loose....something?
Old 07-26-07, 11:53 PM
triple_c
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
Did you check your spare wheel storage compartment for loose....something?
yupp, no loose anything. gonna check all the bolts around the rear suspension tomorrow when i get back from work...
Old 07-27-07, 09:16 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont be afraid to take things like this to the dealer if you can figure it out on your own. They can and should fix these types of issues.
Old 07-27-07, 09:21 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

^^^ agree....take it back to the dealer!
Old 07-27-07, 09:34 AM
sweetsin81
Driver School Candidate

Just out of curiousity......how come everyone seems to take their car to the dealer for even the simple things like oil change?? Doesn't anyone change their own oil anymore? And isn't oil changed every 3K? How come I hear it being done at 5K? What's the difference?
Old 07-27-07, 09:40 AM
jurutera
Driver

Hi all,

Bring it in and hopefully theyll find where its coming from. I brought mine in and after a week its still there. They even brought out the stethoscope but still the same thing. If u find it pls do tell me, that tapping sound is reallyyyyyyyyyyyy annoying.
Old 07-27-07, 09:45 AM
triple_c
Pole Position

yeaahh its not a nasty something is gonna blow up sound, but it just bugs the hell out of me. i talked to a service guy at the dealer and he says it might be the parking brake cable. i guess i'll have them look it over when i bring it on for my 5k.
Old 07-27-07, 09:54 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetsin81
Just out of curiousity......how come everyone seems to take their car to the dealer for even the simple things like oil change?? Doesn't anyone change their own oil anymore? And isn't oil changed every 3K? How come I hear it being done at 5K? What's the difference?
would you trust a local jiffy lube or quick lube with your car, I wouldnt. The intervals now are 5000 miles so its not that often
Old 07-27-07, 10:00 AM
sweetsin81
Driver School Candidate

Well....no but I don't trust dealerships either.....Although having a warranty is different considering any work to be done is free. My Toyota dealership wanted to charge me $700 to replace my O2 sensors......I don't think so....and they also said if that doesn't work I'd have to replace my CAT....another $1300.......I'm no car expert but I'm not stupid either. All over my check engine light that came on......we just replaced the check engine light fuse and it hasn't come back on yet after a week. I hate dealerships.
Old 07-27-07, 10:10 AM
triple_c
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
would you trust a local jiffy lube or quick lube with your car, I wouldnt. The intervals now are 5000 miles so its not that often
lol my car is about a month old and its at 3400 miles if i followed the dealer recommended maintenence schedule, i'd be at the dealership every 2 months. which is why i change my own oil and do my own basic maintenance, unless something really bad happens. as for oil change interval, other than the first oil change, i dont' see any difference between 3k and 5k.
Old 07-27-07, 12:34 PM
Hip_hop77
Pole Position

my car does that when i brake... the dealer said its the asb kicking in.
Old 07-27-07, 12:40 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sweetsin81
Most of the new synthetic oils far outlast and outperform the old oils you may be used to. With the e90 BMW, many are waiting for at least 20k to change the oil, and the oil analysis results aren't that bad at all.
Old 07-27-07, 01:15 PM
SonnyIs350
Pole Position

yupp, no loose anything. gonna check all the bolts around the rear suspension tomorrow when i get back from work...
Careful putting wrenches on bolts you are not familiar with alot are set with a certain torque spec

Quick Reply: single pop during acceleration/braking??