IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

So I got a nail in my tire

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-07, 02:02 PM
ac281
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I got a nail in my tire

My TPMS warning came on this morning to tell me that the tire pressure was low. After having the dealer take a peek, it turns out that my driver's side rear tire got a nail stuck in its sidewall. It's not repairable and has to be replaced. The dealer suggested that I just switch out the damaged tire, but I only had about 40% tread remaining. With that level of wear, shouldn't I swap them both out?

Also, should I buy the tires from the Lexus dealer or should I go to NTB or Discount Tire? I was quoted around $275 each at the dealer.
Old 07-25-07, 02:14 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

discount tire or NTB might not have the tire size you need in stock, a lexus dealer will definately have the correct size tire. It just depends how long you want to drive on a spare tire (if discount or NTB doesnt have that size in stock) vs. how much money you want to save. I doubt you would be saving much.

Its up to you if you want to replace both. But 40% tread is still worth keeping
Old 07-25-07, 02:19 PM
ac281
Driver School Candidate

I'm actually still driving on the one with the nail in it! It's not flat, just my Tire Warning lights are on. Ugh, probably gonna go to Lexus to save time, because you're right. Discount tire and NTB need 2 days to get my tires in.
Old 07-25-07, 02:19 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say 40% is worth keeping too, and that does suck about the nail! Sorry man.
Old 07-25-07, 02:28 PM
lexusam
Driver School Candidate

I had a nail stuck in mine before and eventually became flat. But I dont understand how its not repaireable cause I got my hole covered at a local tire shop.
Old 07-25-07, 03:10 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad you found the nail, but I'm surprised your first inclination when the TPMS light came on was to take the car to the dealer. I would probably have just put air in the tire first.
Old 07-25-07, 03:13 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusam
I had a nail stuck in mine before and eventually became flat. But I dont understand how its not repaireable cause I got my hole covered at a local tire shop.
its in the sidewall which is compressed and stretched slightly when the tire rolls around, not good for a plug holding air in
Old 07-25-07, 04:04 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If a nail is in the sidewall or within about 3/4" of the sidewall on the main tread area it is unrepairable as it is in the flex zone. You may get a repairer to plug it .... but it is not recommended by the tire manufacturers. Overly conservative? Probably, no doubt due to lawsuit fears. Last time I was at Discount Tire they had a chart showing the 'NO REPAIR' zone. This zone is quite large. Going forward I think we will see more and more restrictions on repairing of tires.

I wouldn't replace both, just the bad tire.
Old 07-25-07, 04:15 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well... time to upgrade the back 2 to some F1 GS-D3 , you dont NEED to change all 4 at one time, if you stagger the changes it comes out to a much more livable bill.
Old 07-25-07, 04:59 PM
VIPLexus
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really have no choice but to replace the tire. NTB and Discount might be cheaper, but just make sure they know how to handle your tire sensors!! It might just lead to costly repairs later on.. To be on the safe side, bring it to Lexus, you wont have regrets and will have piece of mind, plus most likely, they will have your tire size in stock.. Haha plus you get a free carwash! And on the other note about patching a tire thats on the sidewall, most wont do it just because of fear of lawsuits, and it is not safe, just like everyone said, the patch wont hold every time the tire flexes.. So good luck!
Old 07-25-07, 05:45 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ac281
My TPMS warning came on this morning to tell me that the tire pressure was low. After having the dealer take a peek, it turns out that my driver's side rear tire got a nail stuck in its sidewall. It's not repairable and has to be replaced. The dealer suggested that I just switch out the damaged tire, but I only had about 40% tread remaining. With that level of wear, shouldn't I swap them both out?

Also, should I buy the tires from the Lexus dealer or should I go to NTB or Discount Tire? I was quoted around $275 each at the dealer.

Is it an AWD?
Something to consider might be the type of AWD system. Not sure what Lexus is using, but with 1 tire at 40% and the opposing tire at 100% the computer control may go nuts trying to compensate for the difference because it is reading 1 tire turning at a faster rate.

I think Volvo had a problem along these lines when they 1st released their SUV.

My inclination would be to replace the pair and maybe keep the good tire as a future spare.
Old 07-25-07, 05:54 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

good god $275 for a stock tire...damn! I wouldnt even pay that for a 20"

If i ever had to replace the stock tires...which i probably doubt since they are sitting in the garage. I would get a higher wear rating tire...not those 140 rated stock ones.
Old 07-25-07, 06:27 PM
anitabj
Driver

had a nail in mine and got it fixed for 5 dolla....at some asian place...did it in like 15 minutes..or less
Old 07-25-07, 06:30 PM
slowandlow
Lead Lap

that it to belle tire or other store or order it from tire rack
Old 07-25-07, 08:07 PM
GordoNx3o9
Pole Position

I had a nail in one of my rear tire recently. I went to a 24-hour tire repair shop to fix it. I wanted them to do the plug thing but they said they only do "patches". So they took the tire off the rim and patched it. Ever since then, my tire's been losing 10 PSI every 2 days or so. I went back a few times already to look for the dude that fixed my tire but he's never working at the time I go. I'm just not happy about the fact that I spent $20 to try to get it fix and I'm gonna have to end up spending more money to fix it again.

Quick Reply: So I got a nail in my tire