IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bet this hasn't happened to you!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-07, 05:48 PM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bet this hasn't happened to you!!

So... I was just minding my own business driving home from work on one of the major roads in Houston (Westheimer). A homeless guy is going from car to car washing people's windshields at one of the stop lights. Eventually, me makes his way to the car in front of me. The driver of that car opens his door and yells something. I can't hear what he said but judging from the reaction of the homeless guy it was along the lines of "get the hell off"... only worse. So, they start to have some words and eventually the driver gets out of his car and starts to fight with the homeless guy. They scuffle around and land on the hood of my car!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even after the light turns green the continue to scuffle. Eventually, the homeless guy runs off and the driver gets back in his car and drives off.

When I get home I check my hood. As it turns out, I've got a dent. It looks like the elbow of one of the guys went right into it.

I got the license plate of the car in front of me. To be honest, he was the one who escalated the situation and threw the first punch... you think I've got any recourse against him?
Old 07-24-07, 05:54 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I would call the police and file a police report and call your insurance company.
Old 07-24-07, 06:01 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RamshakleZ
So... I was just minding my own business driving home from work on one of the major roads in Houston (Westheimer). A homeless guy is going from car to car washing people's windshields at one of the stop lights. Eventually, me makes his way to the car in front of me. The driver of that car opens his door and yells something. I can't hear what he said but judging from the reaction of the homeless guy it was along the lines of "get the hell off"... only worse. So, they start to have some words and eventually the driver gets out of his car and starts to fight with the homeless guy. They scuffle around and land on the hood of my car!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even after the light turns green the continue to scuffle. Eventually, the homeless guy runs off and the driver gets back in his car and drives off.

When I get home I check my hood. As it turns out, I've got a dent. It looks like the elbow of one of the guys went right into it.

I got the license plate of the car in front of me. To be honest, he was the one who escalated the situation and threw the first punch... you think I've got any recourse against him?
Oh man! I know that area so well. If it is near Westheimer at the 610 loop near the Galleria, there are always people there ready to wash your windshield. It has been that way since the 1980's, and the cops don't do anything about it.

I went to the Westin at the Galleria about a month ago for a business meeting, and a homeless lady threatened to scratch my new IS if I didn't put money in her tin can. Fortunately the light turned green as she was reaching for what appeared to be a screwdriver from her pocket. I was the first in line at the light.

I now avoid that area altogether. I take the back way into the Galleria (the long way) to avoid the homeless.

I feel for you, but you may not have any recourse in this case. Cops in Houston are pretty much useless, as I'm sure they've been passing the homeless guy all day long without getting him off the street anyway.
Old 07-24-07, 06:06 PM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS250 4 Me
Oh man! I know that area so well. If it is near Westheimer at the 610 loop near the Galleria, there are always people there ready to wash your windshield. It has been that way since the 1980's, and the cops don't do anything about it.
It was at Westheimer & Kirkwood. I didn't call he cops (knowing they wouldn't do anything about it... plus, they've got bigger fish to fry to be honest). But, I did call my insurance and they said they will run the plate to see if they can get an address and go from there.
Old 07-24-07, 06:11 PM
SweetIS350
Rookie

I would’ve open a can of whoop a@@ on both of them.

All seriousness I would file a police report and if nothing comes out of it take him to small claims court.
Old 07-24-07, 06:15 PM
Butch341
Driver School Candidate

Man, that sucks. I would at least file a police report and give them the plate number. Maybe they'll do something, but more than likely not, although it never hurts to at least try. Then I'd contact your insurance company. It'd be cool if you had a few witnesses to bring in against the guy in the car in front of you, but more than likely you would end up spending more money going after him legally than you would paying for the dent yourself (and save on insurance hikes), or filing an insurance claim/paying your deductible. I went through something similar (not quite as eventful as that though!), but I had witnesses and I didn't care what it was going to cost legally in small claims court to get the other guy to pay. It was the principal of the matter, you know? He eventually ended up paying, but not without me having to threaten him with legal action/witnesses several times. I was gonna go after him. I really was. I didn't care.. haha .. I feel for you man.

Last edited by Butch341; 07-24-07 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-24-07, 06:23 PM
IEMaestro
Pit Crew

Wow! Now I'm going to b extra vigilant when I'm at a traffic light.
Old 07-24-07, 06:29 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Definately get him to pay, especially if it was his elbow that dented your car.

However, if you can get it fixed yourself for cheap, it may be better to forego the hassle and frustration of getting third parties involved...
Old 07-24-07, 06:32 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

If the damage isn't too severe, a PDR (paintless dent repair) technician may be able to make it disappear for about $75.
Old 07-24-07, 06:35 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yea! You def need to make that dumba$$ pay! Get you him anyway you can, police, insurance, lawsuit, whatever!
Old 07-24-07, 06:39 PM
supaIS350
Lead Lap

sue the homeless guy!
Old 07-24-07, 06:51 PM
DrShoe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by supaIS350
sue the homeless guy!
Great idea! Make sure you get everything that was under his name including his house.... oh wait never mind. A window squeegee ain't bad, I guess.
Old 07-24-07, 07:00 PM
SParker1tx
Pole Position

Oh god!! Westheimer is AWFUL!! Especially like earlier said near 610 at galleria! The homeless are out in droves near there! I really love the galleria but that westheimer area is sometimes scum
Old 07-24-07, 07:04 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would have gotten out of my car and pulled them off and told the homeless guy to beat it and sort it out with the other guy. either that or chase that crazy driver down.
Old 07-24-07, 07:04 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It was at Westheimer & Kirkwood. I didn't call he cops (knowing they wouldn't do anything about it... plus, they've got bigger fish to fry to be honest). But, I did call my insurance and they said they will run the plate to see if they can get an address and go from there.
That part of Houston is usually not too bad. I didn't realize the bums and lowlife were moving that far west. Try the Paintless Dent Repair .... I had a nice dent on a fender once and they got it out and you never could tell it was dented.

Quick Reply: Bet this hasn't happened to you!!