IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How to put front license plate??

Old 07-16-07, 02:24 PM
BBBsti LTD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to put front license plate??

I just realized that that my fiancee IS 250 does not have the holes for the front license plate. All brand new car that I have bought bring the holes drilled with the car dealer plate in place until you replace them with the DMV plates.

Any suggetions on how to do it?
Old 07-16-07, 02:46 PM
jewel
Lead Lap

if you really want to put the plate on, bring it back to the dealer and they'll do it for you. You should have a license plate bracket in your trunk, and there are dimples in the bumper, but just have them do it.

looks better without it though
Old 07-16-07, 02:47 PM
ShoFly
Rookie

See if someone local with the same color wants to swap bumpers! So many people are complaining their bumper DOES have holes which they don't want.

In your case, I would imagine just mark the spots on the bumper and drill?
Old 07-16-07, 02:47 PM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

first time seeing someone want to put holes in the front. xD
Old 07-16-07, 02:58 PM
mctuners
Lead Lap

My dealer did not put license plate on my front bumper.
Since I didn't want to make holes on my bumper, I used 3M thick double sided tape to place the license plate on the bumper.
Old 07-16-07, 03:20 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoa! What color and where in CA are you??? If you have black Ill switch bumpers with you I hate my front license plate holes!!!!
Old 07-16-07, 03:48 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ROFL, so many 'get rid of lic plate hole' threads, and someone comes along, 'how do you make the holes' haha.

Heres another one, saying 'i'll get the is-f clear tails', if our cars came with the clear tails to begin with we'd be doing redouts to them and if the is-f came with the amber we have now we'd be saying 'i cant wait to get the is-f amber tails'
Old 07-16-07, 04:40 PM
trant01
Rookie

if its starfire pearl i'd switch bumpers with you and give you $50!
Old 07-16-07, 06:47 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ben_r_
Whoa! What color and where in CA are you??? If you have black Ill switch bumpers with you I hate my front license plate holes!!!!
My dealer gave me the option of not putting the front plate on, and I live in Texas, where 99% of the vehicles have a front plate, as required by law.

However, I do see the occassional BMW, Lexus, or MB pulled over with the cop pointing to the front of the car. Sometimes the drivers are bit intoxicated, as they've just left the after work happy hour.

No thanks. I don't want to give Texas cops another reason to pull me over, as there seems to be one around every corner in Houston. I told the dealer to drill the holes and mount that puppy.
Old 07-16-07, 06:54 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Yup. It's not a matter of choice. It's the law in CA, so I'm going to have the dealer drill mine at 5K service also...

If it was a fix-it ticket, I'd risk one time. but since it's just a straight up 3 digit fine (I think), hello drill. I could be wrong on the fine amount, but I know it's not worth paying for the look.
Old 07-16-07, 10:01 PM
mir
Driver

Mine did not have holes but as jewel said, there are two dimples on the bumper and plate holder is in plastic wrap in trunk. You will be better off taking it to the dealer and having them install it. Less chance of scratch or damage from professional installation.

I have not taken mine to get it installed and not planning to.
Old 07-16-07, 11:50 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

omg i would die to have no plates blahhh god deng port drilled it before it hit the dealers soo gay... i also never heard of anyone wanting to put on front plates
Old 07-17-07, 01:38 AM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

there's a guy on e90post who made a thing that utilizes suction cups to attatch the front license plate. im thinking of getting it.
Old 07-17-07, 06:05 AM
jdoolitt
Rookie

There are supplied screws with the license holder (wrapped in plastic in your trunk). The bumper is dimpled as mentioned above. Pre-drill into one of the dimples (a much smaller hole than the width of the screws --- you will be screwing into plastic), the first hole. Hold the frame up to that hole (or even screw it in partially), and mark the second hole. Pre-drill the second hole in the mark you made, then screw the frame in all the way. Again - you are screwing it into plastic, so pre-drilling is mostly just to make sure you have things lined up.
Old 07-17-07, 07:53 AM
diablodude
Rookie

Be careful taking it to the dealership. Some will actually drill 4 holes into your front instead of 2.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to put front license plate??