IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How to change nav DVD without breaking everything?

Old 07-08-07, 12:27 AM
gmeardi
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How to change nav DVD without breaking everything...

(I'd like changing from 2005-06 v1 to 2006-07 v2 nav data disk)

Sorry this seems a simple question, but I didn't find any other posts helping me out to remove the 'plastic clock mask' with the given 2 little tools and a screwdriver.
The manual states to insert the 2 tools until we hear a 'click' and then remove the mask with a flat screwdriver inserted just below the emergency button, but... even pushing with a certain strenght my mask doesn't move and I wouldn't like to destroy it.

The best could be to look at a picture of the "opened thing", just to better understand what damn I'm "pushing open" with the 2 tools to "hear a click", 'cos I cannot see what is there below this mask to keep it fixed. And I don't wanna break everything pushing too much!

Any advise would be very helpful, thanks!
Gianluca

PS: after having done - correctly but with pain! - the 'physical' nav hack, last year (with manual transmission - ie. without the many helpful pix we can find here on the automatic shift)... now I prefer to well study pictures before opening

Last edited by gmeardi; 07-08-07 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-08-07, 07:41 AM
gmeardi
Rookie

Angry Things are getting harder...

I finally found a pix in this post:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=251179&page=5

And I've tried this afternoon, but... with bad luck: I couldn't remove that damn harness and - just to make things harder - I tried pressing the map-DVD eject button without removing the 'cover'... May this be of help? Naaaa...
Result: DVD now is probably 'half-ejected' behind the cover and doesn't re-enter automatically, so the NAV is now even unusable (!).

I can't imagine how Lexus with such an expensive and nice car has designed such a "difficult" way of ejecting a DVD...

Any other posts/pictures/whatever to help me out? Many thanks again...
Old 07-08-07, 09:56 AM
joonsta
Lead Lap

This is best left to your Lexus dealership.

There's a reason why Lexus made the process so difficult.

Or you could give Pocky a vacation package to Italy, and your issue will be solved.

In bocca al lupo!

(lol...did I say that right?)
Old 07-08-07, 10:06 AM
gmeardi
Rookie

Originally Posted by joonsta
Or you could give Pocky a vacation package to Italy, and your issue will be solved.
In bocca al lupo!
Yeah, u said it right... ("crepi il lupo" I may answer).

Leaving it to my dealership... yes could be my last option ('cos it's far away from where I live), even 'cos I succeeded with the nav hack (really difficult with manual transmission and no pixs, believe me) and I cannot understand how could I be stopped by a plain, manual-supported, DVD ejection (!!!).
Old 07-08-07, 11:01 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Okay guys, this is the best I could do to show in pictures how I removed that stupidly designed cover! Its not easy to remove, but very easy to scrap. Above all the best I can tell you is take your time, work one side at a time and always be mindful that one slip and you could end up with a fat gash across your clock face!

Old 07-08-07, 11:12 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I use double sided tape to remove it. Works like a charm. Absolutely no pry marks.
Old 07-08-07, 12:11 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by istundra
I use double sided tape to remove it. Works like a charm. Absolutely no pry marks.
I tried that, but i couldnt get any tape to stick the plastic for some reason...
Old 07-08-07, 02:08 PM
gmeardi
Rookie

Originally Posted by joonsta
In bocca al lupo!
Ops... I forgot to mention... who's this mythical Pocky?
Old 07-08-07, 02:18 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ben_r_
I tried that, but i couldnt get any tape to stick the plastic for some reason...
You have to use high quality 3M Automotive Double Sided tape. This is the same tape used to stick on OEM Spoilers. Very strong and sticky. If you cannot get the tape to stick... the surface may be dirty.
Old 07-08-07, 03:19 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

You have to use high quality 3M Automotive Double Sided tape. This is the same tape used to stick on OEM Spoilers. Very strong and sticky. If you cannot get the tape to stick... the surface may be dirty.
Wanna show me a link to where I can get some? I dont intend to remove that thing again anytime soon until I can get my hands on the 08 nav disc, but when I do Id like to try your method because the way I did it suct.
Old 07-08-07, 04:25 PM
gmeardi
Rookie

Lightbulb

And using little suction cups, instead? Some are pretty strong... I'll try to find a couple...
Old 07-08-07, 04:34 PM
istundra
Pole Position

That may possibly work. Anything is better then prying the clock piece. That's why I used the tape method.
Old 07-09-07, 03:31 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,837 Likes on 2,326 Posts

Mine needed no tape at all and no prying. Once I had the tools fully inserted it was easy to get the entire assembly to pull straight out the front.

I did this more than once, so I know it wasn't a fluke.
Old 07-09-07, 07:02 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Here is the best way to access the nav DVD. Use the tool provided in your tool kit on one side at a time. Push it in until you feel it passes the first resistance. Then use a valve lapping tool right next to the tool and pull. It should come out easily. Then push the tool in on the other side and hold the other end (the end that already was pulled out) so it does not pop back in and again pull with the valve lapping tool. Really easy pulling one side at a time with the valve lapping tool.

Koz
Attached Thumbnails How to change nav DVD without breaking everything?-valve-tool.jpg  
Old 07-09-07, 07:53 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koz
Here is the best way to access the nav DVD. Use the tool provided in your tool kit on one side at a time. Push it in until you feel it passes the first resistance. Then use a valve lapping tool right next to the tool and pull. It should come out easily. Then push the tool in on the other side and hold the other end (the end that already was pulled out) so it does not pop back in and again pull with the valve lapping tool. Really easy pulling one side at a time with the valve lapping tool.

Koz
Huh... Now theres an idea.. Anyone else try this or think it will work?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to change nav DVD without breaking everything?