Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

DIY aftermarket amp power wire install step by step with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-12, 07:30 PM
ntech
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^Thanks guys! Are the front door woofer signal wires full range or do I need to feed the 6 inch, 2 inch, and tweeter signal into a six channel line driver that will combine all three signals to make a full range output from a device like an Audiocontrol LC6? If I have to sum all three wires which ones are for the front 2 inch speaker? The tweeter? Are they crossed over at the amp or by the door? I was thinking if the stock amp has a crossover and I only tap the front woofers to my line driver it may not include higher frequencies to drive my new component speakers and tweeters.
Old 02-23-12, 07:51 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ntech
^^Thanks guys! Are the front door woofer signal wires full range or do I need to feed the 6 inch, 2 inch, and tweeter signal into a six channel line driver that will combine all three signals to make a full range output from a device like an Audiocontrol LC6? If I have to sum all three wires which ones are for the front 2 inch speaker? The tweeter? Are they crossed over at the amp or by the door? I was thinking if the stock amp has a crossover and I only tap the front woofers to my line driver it may not include higher frequencies to drive my new component speakers and tweeters.
You'll need to tap the black and gray wires and sky blue and green wires on the plug with the sub. It's in my other thread as well. Funny, my LC6i came in today. Those wires are both, the tweeter and the small "mids". I would advise tapping the sub as well to get all frequencies.
Old 02-26-12, 10:42 AM
ntech
Rookie

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
You'll need to tap the black and gray wires and sky blue and green wires on the plug with the sub. It's in my other thread as well. Funny, my LC6i came in today. Those wires are both, the tweeter and the small
"mids". I would advise tapping the sub as well to get all frequencies.
To summarize your recommendations these wires are located on the same harness as the subwoofer wires and are crossed over after the amplifier. The wire colors are as follows:

Front Right Woofer: Red + White - (Side by Side)
Front Right Highs (2 inch and tweet): Black + Gray -

Front Left Woofer: White + Red – (Top and Bottom)
Front Left Highs (2 inch and tweet): Skyblue + Green -

Name:  ampwires-1.jpg
Views: 7450
Size:  56.6 KB
Old 03-11-12, 06:16 PM
Alvo03
Driver School Candidate

Great forum ! really helpful
Old 03-11-12, 06:33 PM
Alvo03
Driver School Candidate

whats better? For a Subwoofer only. To tap into front woofer wires or into the stock sub wires? and why?

Not ML
Old 03-11-12, 08:17 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Stock sub. It will sound 100xbetter.. Think about it. Why wouldnt you tap into your original sub output for a sub..
Old 03-11-12, 10:26 PM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

Tap to the front woofer bacause it's has a full frequency and it will sound much better. You can use the your sub amp to adjust your crossover.
Old 03-12-12, 07:55 AM
g15e22
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up ML Amp

I tap into the subwoofer in the back and sounds very good. I also di find the remote wire which was in the last connector with all the thin wires. It was the very last pink wire on the connector. Thanks Guys.
Old 03-12-12, 08:42 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ISBU
Tap to the front woofer bacause it's has a full frequency and it will sound much better. You can use the your sub amp to adjust your crossover.
After a LOT of testing, the best bet is to tap BOTH, the mid woofers AND the sub. I had just tapped the mids and was missing a LOT of the low freqs. If you only tap the sub, and want to set the amp crossover a bit higher, you can't. Best bet is to tap both. If you decide to just tap one or the other, the sub will be "better" than the mids. I spent 3 weeks playing with this and until someone can post what the stock amps cut offs as far a freqs are concerned, you're better tapping both and summing the signal together. My stereo sounded like crap just tapping the mids for my aftermarket sub as no frequencies could be heard below 60hz or so.
Old 03-12-12, 11:41 AM
ydnandy
Pole Position

I tapped just the stock sub wires and have no complaints.
Old 04-11-12, 10:58 AM
jpsilvia
Rookie

for 2012 Nav non ML cars there is no orange wire to tap for remote.. however there is a small white wire that is IGN 12+ that i used...it is on the LAST plug for the stock amp (sorry no pics) cloest to the rear of the car. that plug also contains a blue Constant 12+ and an IIRC pink wire that is ~3V IGN.

also i connect my LOC to the stock sub, both chanels, and the aftermarket subs sound like utter $H!t, so when i disconnected one RCA cable, the one sub that was working sounded great..any ideas?? unfortunatly i am at work and am not sure which pair of sub wires is actually giving me the utter $H!t, sound, but will test when i get home. if push come to shove i will just use the one chanel and split them after the LOC, just wanted to know if anyone has any ideas.

amp is an older sony xplode that i know works great, and sub are pioneer IMPP (yes they are a few years old as well LOL) but this set up sounded great in my previous ISX50.

Thanks!
Old 06-02-12, 05:05 PM
SargeISF
Lead Lap

Guys,

I have an 08 IS-F.

What wires do I tap for my LOC? I have an audio conrol LC2i. I found my constant power, but when I tapped my Red/White...Brown/Pink it dint work.
Old 06-08-12, 11:20 PM
DIJohn46
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2008 2IS with navigation but no ML stereo
I just did this with an Alpine 12" Type-R and an Alpine M-500 with a ZenClosures box
4AWG for amp power
14AWG for remaining wire
I actually used the Speaker Input Leads (2 channels only) on the amp instead of using a LOC. So I tapped one set for the:
OEM subwoofer (+)~Brown (-)~Green {Third clip from most rear}
Front subwoofer (+)~White (-)~Red {First clip from most rear}

For the remote wire, I used the same thin Red Wire as ydnandy {Second clip from most rear of the car}
To avoid more confusion as to which one, it is RED tiny wire in the top corner on the second clip towards the most rear of the car.

Good Luck everyone!
Old 06-10-12, 01:52 AM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by DIJohn46
I have a 2008 2IS with navigation but no ML stereo
I just did this with an Alpine 12" Type-R and an Alpine M-500 with a ZenClosures box
4AWG for amp power
14AWG for remaining wire
I actually used the Speaker Input Leads (2 channels only) on the amp instead of using a LOC. So I tapped one set for the:
OEM subwoofer (+)~Brown (-)~Green {Third clip from most rear}
Front subwoofer (+)~White (-)~Red {First clip from most rear}

For the remote wire, I used the same thin Red Wire as ydnandy {Second clip from most rear of the car}
To avoid more confusion as to which one, it is RED tiny wire in the top corner on the second clip towards the most rear of the car.

Good Luck everyone!
Thanks! I am installing my subs on Monday. I have the same year car and stereo as you. I looked at my wires and I don't have an orange wire either.
Old 06-10-12, 07:58 AM
SnowPeas
Rookie

Nice write up very helpful.

Quick Reply: DIY aftermarket amp power wire install step by step with pictures