IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Purchasing an IS350... Some Comments

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-07, 06:00 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by reyrey127
Thank you. Yes new is what I am looking for, preferably something less than 10 miles. Anything over that would require alot of thinking to see if I can accept. But thank you for your comment. I will keep this board informed. No doubt about that.
Don't put so many restrictions on your purchase that it is impossible to fulfil. If 9 miles is acceptable, but 15 miles is not, you have set unnatural barriers. Keep an open mind. What if the dealer had exactly what you wanted but it had 100 miles on it, used by the sales manager for one weekend? Perfect condition, and an appropriate amount of dollars was taken off the MSRP, are you going to say 'nyet'? It's nice to want a car with zero miles on it, but in the scheme of things a few extra miles makes no practical difference.

IMO you will have a tought time getting your car for the price you have in mind. A rough rule of thumb with the 350 is if you can get it OTD for the sticker price it is an ok deal. Some can do better, but I wouldn't make a Hollywood production out of it. Price is certainly important but it is NOT the overarching element in the transaction. The most important thing is getting the car you want, with the options you want. If it costs a few bucks more than so be it.

Last edited by Evitzee; 06-30-07 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-30-07, 06:34 PM
reyrey127
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Don't put so many restrictions on your purchase that it is impossible to fulfil. If 9 miles is acceptable, but 15 miles is not, you have set unnatural barriers. Keep an open mind. What if the dealer had exactly what you wanted but it had 100 miles on it, used by the sales manager for one weekend? Perfect condition, and an appropriate amount of dollars was taken off the MSRP, are you going to say 'nyet'? It's nice to want a car with zero miles on it, but in the scheme of things a few extra miles makes no practical difference.

IMO you will have a tought time getting your car for the price you have in mind. A rough rule of thumb with the 350 is if you can get it OTD for the sticker price it is an ok deal. Some can do better, but I wouldn't make a Hollywood production out of it. Price is certainly important but it is NOT the overarching element in the transaction. The most important thing is getting the car you want, with the options you want. If it costs a few bucks more than so be it.

As i had mentioned, I am flexible. I make no definite restrictions what so ever, but will compromise as I had stated earlier in my post. I agree that paying a few extra bucks is fine for something I want, but why would you be paying more when there is a deal that can be had. As I had mentioned, nothing is impossible since I have read on this board on the MSRP Discount thread that people can get invoice. I am assuming when they say invoice, they are saying OTD invoice. Perhaps my numbers initially were low, but I don't think it is unreasonable for a vehicle that would be outdated in about a month or two since the 08 IS350 will be selling.

In regards to 100 miles, I feel that a vehicle with 100 miles is a vehicle with ALOT of miles for a NEW vehicle. For others maybe, it is not. I have seen cars with 5-10 miles, on the lot, and for those customers who are interested in the GS or LS can buy them without problems if mileage was a concern. So what makes the IS350 so hard to have 5-10 miles? Well that is just my opinion. If you are thinking that an IS350 with 5-10 miles for what I am asking for is improbable, from what I have seen, you maybe correct.

But as always, I will try my luck and see how close I can hit my target. If it is higher, I would understand and accept the fact. As I mentioned several times, I open to any talks, as long as I feel it is the best deal that can be had. Thanks for the comments.

Last edited by reyrey127; 07-01-07 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-30-07, 06:42 PM
SoddingGit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you need to add at least $3k to your expected price, maybe more. You are correct, there will be a new model out soon, but that doesn't mean a dealership is willing to take a loss, especially on an IS350.

If you are thinking a BMW 335 as a competitor to the IS350, then be prepared to pay close to MSRP as that seems to be fairly common in most regions.
Old 06-30-07, 07:03 PM
reyrey127
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SoddingGit
I think you need to add at least $3k to your expected price, maybe more. You are correct, there will be a new model out soon, but that doesn't mean a dealership is willing to take a loss, especially on an IS350.

If you are thinking a BMW 335 as a competitor to the IS350, then be prepared to pay close to MSRP as that seems to be fairly common in most regions.
I have not had a chance to even look at the BMW 335 yet. But thanks for the advice.

I think they would take a loss to move a vehicle. These dealerships make so much money on people, that I am not worried that they would take a loss. A loss to them would be in the range of millions, that would be a loss to them. 2.0-4.0K is not a loss to these large dealerships. They can make it back in 1 minute or on one vehicle. That is how I see it. Some people don't fight for a good bargain, and some try. I will try, but as many have stated getting invoice is pretty tough and I agree.

I will see how this plays out. If it doesn't work or I cannot reach a compromise, I can always take a bicycle to work on the freeway. I wonder if I will need a helmet...
Old 06-30-07, 07:18 PM
SoddingGit
Rookie

I have not had a chance to even look at the BMW 335 yet. But thanks for the advice.

I think they would take a loss to move a vehicle. These dealerships make so much money on people, that I am not worried that they would take a loss. A loss to them would be in the range of millions, that would be a loss to them. 2.0-4.0K is not a loss to these large dealerships. They can make it back in 1 minute or on one vehicle. That is how I see it. Some people don't fight for a good bargain, and some try. I will try, but as many have stated getting invoice is pretty tough and I agree.

I will see how this plays out. If it doesn't work or I cannot reach a compromise, I can always take a bicycle to work on the freeway. I wonder if I will need a helmet...
Well, there is a difference between invoice and a loss. Forgetting for a second about dealer incentive, holdback, etc. what you are talking about is roughly:
IS350 30,500
X package 1200
NAV 2200

= 33,900 invoice price + (7.25% CA sales tax, I think?) = 36257 plus title, license, freight.....

I just don't see anything close to what you mentioned happening.

I can understand wanting to get a good price, but you might want to make sure you can afford it if this is what you're thinking. If $35k will make or break you, then you should get something different. No offense intended, I just think being 'car poor' is stupid.
Old 06-30-07, 07:48 PM
nrsk4u
Pole Position

Originally Posted by k_dizzle
Not trying to hate or anything but...i doubt u can get that good of a deal...if ya do though...let us know! g luck!
got my 07 IS350 ( nav, ML, LUX. PKG.) for 41800 OTD from glendale and no one in so cal would come close to that price!! especially because they are shiped from japan in such limited numbers. 33K...unherdof, good luck though, keep us all posted
Old 06-30-07, 08:32 PM
caudlek
Driver

Thank you. Yes new is what I am looking for, preferably something less than 10 miles. Anything over that would require alot of thinking to see if I can accept. But thank you for your comment. I will keep this board informed. No doubt about that.
Given that i once put ~30 miles on a car during a test drive i find your expectation a little low ..... that's a car that has been driven onto the ship, off the ship, trucked, then parked undisturbed on a dealer lot. Normal for an ordered car ..... rare for one that’s been sitting around for months, trying to get sold.

Its not uncommon to see new cars with 200-400 miles on them ..... i would place color and options well ahead of mileage under 500 miles.

KC
Old 06-30-07, 08:48 PM
k_dizzle
Pole Position

its rare to find an IS350 with the right color combo and options let alone wanting to steel a deal like that...the same dealer i brought mines from . last week i went to get an oil change and there wasnt even 1 is350 on the lot
Old 06-30-07, 09:12 PM
reyrey127
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by k_dizzle
its rare to find an IS350 with the right color combo and options let alone wanting to steel a deal like that...the same dealer i brought mines from . last week i went to get an oil change and there wasnt even 1 is350 on the lot
Thank you for all your comments. I enjoy reading them. Well so far we are still talking at least as of 6:00 pm today negotiating. The conversation stopped, but I assume it could because it was late and he had to go home. Benefit of the doubt.

But they actually have exactly the vehicle I want, which I was happy to work with. Supposedly they have a few on the lot. As of now the first negotiating price is not close to what I would like, but about what everyone else is getting. We will see how well it will go. Thanks for everyone's input and I will definitely try other dealerships if this does not work out. Overall, a decent experience, but it would be GREAT if he was able to give me an unheard of deal. Thanks again.
Old 06-30-07, 09:14 PM
reyrey127
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by nrsk4u
got my 07 IS350 ( nav, ML, LUX. PKG.) for 41800 OTD from glendale and no one in so cal would come close to that price!! especially because they are shiped from japan in such limited numbers. 33K...unherdof, good luck though, keep us all posted
Wow, that seems to be a very good deal from what I assume. How many miles were on the vehicle and who did you deal with? Was it a pre-owned vehicle? If you don't mind me asking?

Maybe I will send another email their way if it is possible to deal. Thanks.
Old 06-30-07, 10:08 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you for all your comments. I enjoy reading them. Well so far we are still talking at least as of 6:00 pm today negotiating. The conversation stopped, but I assume it could because it was late and he had to go home. Benefit of the doubt.

But they actually have exactly the vehicle I want, which I was happy to work with. Supposedly they have a few on the lot. As of now the first negotiating price is not close to what I would like, but about what everyone else is getting. We will see how well it will go. Thanks for everyone's input and I will definitely try other dealerships if this does not work out. Overall, a decent experience, but it would be GREAT if he was able to give me an unheard of deal. Thanks again.
Saturday was the last day of the month, and the last day of the quarter. It is one of those days that would net you the most discount if they wanted to sell the car at anything close to your price. If they sold it on Saturday they can book it on June's sales numbers. If they didn't bite on June 30 they will most likely not be interested. Although everyone wants a killer deal on a 350 they usually walk out with a deal that includes a reasonable profit for the dealer. It is just supply and demand. Selling a car at a loss is just something that is not going to happen in this case. Next years IS will look exactly like this years so it does not become obsolete. The dealer knows this and prices it accordingly. But keep trying. Maybe lightening will strike and you'll get your price ..... or not.

Last edited by Evitzee; 06-30-07 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-30-07, 11:06 PM
reyrey127
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Saturday was the last day of the month, and the last day of the quarter. It is one of those days that would net you the most discount if they wanted to sell the car at anything close to your price. If they sold it on Saturday they can book it on June's sales numbers. If they didn't bite on June 30 they will most likely not be interested. Although everyone wants a killer deal on a 350 they usually walk out with a deal that includes a reasonable profit for the dealer. It is just supply and demand. Selling a car at a loss is just something that is not going to happen in this case. Next years IS will look exactly like this years so it does not become obsolete. The dealer knows this and prices it accordingly. But keep trying. Maybe lightening will strike and you'll get your price ..... or not.
Thanks, for the comment. But I have heard people backdating the vehicle purchases within the first week of the month to the previous month. So if their "quota of sales" was not met, they can easily do a little date change. Not unheard of. But we will see. In the event that I don't get it this coming weekend, there is always the end of July. And the whole process starts all over again. By that time, maybe he will see that I am serious about a purchase.

Is the information out on the 08 IS350 already? I thought it wasn't out yet. I thought there usually are some minor changes each year, but if you tell me they look exactly the same, then perhaps I am wrong. Even though it may not be much different, I am sure they will try to get the 07 out the door so they can make room for 08. But we will see as well.

Thanks for your insight, I will keep you guys informed of what happens. Thanks.
Old 06-30-07, 11:14 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am very flexible, but must get the best deal.
Just like the above quote, you are contradicting yourself in a lot of the things you say... You ask people here if $35K OTD is possible, then claim "nothing is impossible" after people tell you it's not. You say you'd go to BMW if you don't get your deal on a Lexus. Good luck even finding a 328i at $35K OTD. You claim that you have read what everybody else got in this forum, but then expect a deal way below that...

From what I gather in your postings, you are terrified of buying this car. You could not stand it if the dealer made a buck off of you, and you certainly can't stand to know somebody else might have paid less than you. That's what I'm getting from your stance. If you're not ready to pay the market price for the car, that's completely legit; it's an expensive purchase. Move onto something else. Your time and peace of mind are valuable. Get the car you want, when you want it, at a price you think is fair for what you are getting. You'll enjoy your car a lot more that way.
Old 06-30-07, 11:40 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Thanks, for the comment. But I have heard people backdating the vehicle purchases within the first week of the month to the previous month. So if their "quota of sales" was not met, they can easily do a little date change. Not unheard of. But we will see. In the event that I don't get it this coming weekend, there is always the end of July. And the whole process starts all over again. By that time, maybe he will see that I am serious about a purchase.

Is the information out on the 08 IS350 already? I thought it wasn't out yet. I thought there usually are some minor changes each year, but if you tell me they look exactly the same, then perhaps I am wrong. Even though it may not be much different, I am sure they will try to get the 07 out the door so they can make room for 08. But we will see as well.

Thanks for your insight, I will keep you guys informed of what happens. Thanks.
Ok - I'll give it to you straight up....

2008 IS350's are scheduled for August Production and will hit the states last week of Sept or first week of Oct 2007.
There will be some minor changes.

IS350's are UNDER stocked, so they don't have awesome deals on them right now.

Here is a sample number for an IS350 with X-pkg, Nav only & Preferred Accessory Pkg .

MSRP = $40,622 Actual Dealer Invoice = $37,101

You should be somewhere near $38,500 + TTL fees for a GOOD deal.

If you need me to run some numbers on an actual car, let me know what it actually has in it..

Good Luck

-Joe Z
Old 07-01-07, 03:03 AM
reyrey127
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by sirkfc
Just like the above quote, you are contradicting yourself in a lot of the things you say... You ask people here if $35K OTD is possible, then claim "nothing is impossible" after people tell you it's not. You say you'd go to BMW if you don't get your deal on a Lexus. Good luck even finding a 328i at $35K OTD. You claim that you have read what everybody else got in this forum, but then expect a deal way below that...

From what I gather in your postings, you are terrified of buying this car. You could not stand it if the dealer made a buck off of you, and you certainly can't stand to know somebody else might have paid less than you. That's what I'm getting from your stance. If you're not ready to pay the market price for the car, that's completely legit; it's an expensive purchase. Move onto something else. Your time and peace of mind are valuable. Get the car you want, when you want it, at a price you think is fair for what you are getting. You'll enjoy your car a lot more that way.

Why can't I be flexible and get a great deal? If I can't get a great deal, I will try the BMW which I have not had the time to look yet. I asked if 35.0K is possible, and some said no and good luck trying. I don't see anything wrong with that. I have yet to negotiate that number, but from what I have read, and comments like yours it may be a long shot. Impossible to me means never happening, improbable to me means not likey but with a slim chance. Perhaps I should have asked if it was probable. Oh well, my fault.

I do agree with some after searching that maybe my estimate was slightly low from the norm as I had mentioned earlier. It may seem improbable to get the vehicle for that price, but we will see what plays out. If not, perhaps invoice will be the best I can get. At that time, and from what I have read in the forum, invoice OTD would be a great deal.

Yes some may think I am penny pinching, and I admit I am at times, but I will do my best to get through it with making everyone happy, hopefully. I could just pay the full amount like everyone else on this board and save myself the trouble, but I could not live with myself if there was a better deal elsewhere in which I did not try to get it. But thanks for your comments as always from members here. Like I said I will see how this plays out. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Purchasing an IS350... Some Comments