IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: IF THEY SOLD A CLEAR BRA FOR THE WHOLE CAR WOULD YOU GET IT?
YES
27.27%
NO
53.25%
MAYBE
19.48%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

If They Sold A Clear Bra For The Whole Car Would You Get It?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-07, 05:43 AM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default If They Sold A Clear Bra For The Whole Car Would You Get It?

And what would be the most you would pay for it?

I would get it and pay up to $2,000 for it.
Old 06-25-07, 05:47 AM
freddymoo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would never buy a clear bra
Old 06-25-07, 06:15 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by freddymoo
i would never buy a clear bra
+1 There seems to be a lot of misconception about clear bras.

They provide some level of protection. But door dings, wind shield chips, door pillar chips, paint oxidation, etc. are still an issue. All cars look like crap after a while. Cling wrap won't make much difference.

I commend the marketeers of the clear bra. Getting people to pay $500-$1000for cling wrap is pretty funny.
Old 06-25-07, 07:28 AM
nabisco
Lead Lap

I believe in it but wouldn't do the whole car. Nobody ever implied that it would protect against door dings. I believe it does a great job of doing what it's advertised to do. Protect the front of your car!
Old 06-25-07, 07:33 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
+1 There seems to be a lot of misconception about clear bras.

They provide some level of protection. But door dings, wind shield chips, door pillar chips, paint oxidation, etc. are still an issue. All cars look like crap after a while. Cling wrap won't make much difference.

I commend the marketeers of the clear bra. Getting people to pay $500-$1000for cling wrap is pretty funny.
Frankly, I'm sold on clear bras. I owned an `02 SC430 that didn't have one and an `04 SC430 that did. I traded the `04 last year, and the other customers at the dealership who noticed the car asked me why I was trading-in a brand new car.
Old 06-25-07, 07:37 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I've chosen not to get one for several reasons:
  • Price. I could repaint the front end in a few years for a similar outlay.
  • Look. I'm very into caring for the paint on my car, and I don't like the plastic shiny look. Using one of these precludes me from polishing and waxing my PAINT. I can do same to the bra, but it's certainly not going to have the same result.
  • Maintenance. These things will show wear over time as well. If I have to replace the clear bra after the edges yellow and it gets torn up, it's the same difference as repainting as far as I'm concerned.
YMMV. If they're right for you, then great. I prefer paint to plastic.
Old 06-25-07, 07:40 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

I would never get a clear bra... Can you imagine never getting to wash and wax your car??? Some of us love the feeling of pride you get when youve just waxed your hot new ride! Id never give that up for a crappy sticker!
Old 06-25-07, 07:58 AM
nabisco
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ben_r_
I would never get a clear bra... Can you imagine never getting to wash and wax your car??? Some of us love the feeling of pride you get when youve just waxed your hot new ride! Id never give that up for a crappy sticker!
What do you mean never getting to wash or wax your car? Have you looked at one or talked to people that have them? My car gets a professional detail at least once a month and they treat the part of the car with the clear bra the same as the rest of the car. YOU CAN WAX IT. And as far as painting goes, you will never get an exact match when you get your front repainted. And do you think that you can get your front bumper, hood, and both your fenders painted for $500.00? Just some things to think about.

Can you tell there is a clear bra on this...

Old 06-25-07, 08:00 AM
jdanon
Lead Lap

Yeah I don't think I will get one when my car arrives. I would assume my current Lexus from 2005 uses the same kind of paint and it's not bad. Kind of a pain to get the bugs off the front bumper sometimes though. But again having the clear bra means you have to do more to care for the part of the car with it otherwise you could damage it or reduce its lifespan or effectiveness. I'm willing to take my chances with some good touch up paint if and when the chips occur. I only drive a few miles every day anyway. I get more damage from whoever washes my car than from driving it.
Old 06-25-07, 08:00 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

there was a car in a parking lot with a clear bra on the front...its was approx 5 years old you'd never get that stuff off...it was baked on, opaque, looked terrible. The paint surrounding it looked fine.
Old 06-25-07, 08:07 AM
nabisco
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bagwell
there was a car in a parking lot with a clear bra on the front...its was approx 5 years old you'd never get that stuff off...it was baked on, opaque, looked terrible. The paint surrounding it looked fine.
Now thats the owners fault. If you started to notice your clear bra changing colors and looking like crap. wouldn't you change it or take it off? I would!
Old 06-25-07, 08:07 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

I thought they have this already? I would so get one, but I only find it necessary for the front
Old 06-25-07, 08:12 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's good protection. Not great, but good.

Definately helps with preventing (but not at all avoiding all) paint chips and scratches. If that helps save the car from being repainted every time a chip hits my car, then that would be fine...
Old 06-25-07, 08:17 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

if there are any accidents happened, you need to fix the body, paint it, wait for X months to have the paint to cure, then put in the clear bra.

and you definitely can tell the difference the new and "worn" panels, unless you replace the clear bra for the whole car.....

another $2K? nah.
Old 06-25-07, 08:17 AM
IEMaestro
Pit Crew

Not a fan of clear bras...I'll take my chances without one.

Quick Reply: If They Sold A Clear Bra For The Whole Car Would You Get It?