IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Perception of IS vs. other entry level lux brands?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-07, 03:46 PM
khuezee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perception of IS vs. other entry level lux brands?

Hey guys,

I was just wondering what you think... Every time I see a Mercedes C class, i get that "couldnt afford the real thing, so had to settle for entry to pull off the image" perception. I wonder if people look at Lexus IS entry class in the same way? i know it might be biased based on the forum, but wondering what you think is perceived. I was thinking Benz get the stigma because of its rich and prestigous heritage, and the cheap C class just tarnishes it. Even with BMW, the 3 series sets the standard for sports sedans and typically isn't looked down upon.

*Just in case people are wondering, I don't care what people think. I drive the car cause i like the way it looks and performs. I know it might be ironic statement based on the topic itself...

Last edited by javyLSU; 06-21-07 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Corrected thread title
Old 06-21-07, 03:56 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by khuezee
Hey guys,

I was just wondering what you think... Every time I see a Mercedes C class, i get that "couldnt afford the real thing, so had to settle for entry to pull off the image" perception. I wonder if people look at Lexus IS entry class in the same way? i know it might be biased based on the forum, but wondering what you think is perceived. I was thinking Benz get the stigma because of its rich and prestigous heritage, and the cheap C class just tarnishes it. Even with BMW, the 3 series sets the standard for sports sedans and typically isn't looked down upon.

*Just in case people are wondering, I don't care what people think. I drive the car cause i like the way it looks and performs. I know it might be ironic statement based on the topic itself...
I'd say "no" because I would think that the people with that attitude would also look down on the Lexus brand because it's not an MB or not German, so they are already thinking you can't afford the real thing. They wouldn't even think the Lexus is competitive with their German car.

We all know what BS that is, though.
Old 06-21-07, 03:58 PM
davidbenji
Pole Position

Before I bought my IS i always looked at the C-class as the poser of Benz'. I always thought they looked kind of cheap..and it doesnt seem to do any one thing well except have a Benz ornament on it. As for the 3 series I didnt like the design and hated the interior but it handled amazingly well. And then Lexus had to go redesign the IS...and as soon as I saw it I was like "wow, but how does it drive?" and although the handling is not as precise as the 3 series to me it lacks very little and makes up for it in everyother way.
Old 06-21-07, 03:59 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The good thing about the IS is that it is the sportiest of all Lexus (for now). So, it's not really a "lesser" Lexus, but "the best" Lexus in certain aspects.

The C-Class is not as classy or sporty or luxurious as other MB models, and suffers the enigma. The IS can stand alone in the Lexus line-up.
Old 06-21-07, 04:04 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the IS suffers because lots of people see the ES as a glorified Camry, so when they see the little brother, the same people will say glorified Corolla. And really, it's blasphemous to say it here, but take away the Lexus badges, and tell me when I'm seeing it for the first time that it's the new Corolla, I'd believe it. So the fact that people see such a tight connection to Toyota automatically would be a negative regarding prestige.
Old 06-21-07, 04:12 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sirkfc
I think the IS suffers because lots of people see the ES as a glorified Camry, so when they see the little brother, the same people will say glorified Corolla. And really, it's blasphemous to say it here, but take away the Lexus badges, and tell me when I'm seeing it for the first time that it's the new Corolla, I'd believe it. So the fact that people see such a tight connection to Toyota automatically would be a negative regarding prestige.
I don't think the IS would be mistaken for a Corolla under any circumstances. Believe it or not, the average man in the street does not know Lexus is owned by Toyota, Infiniti by Nissan, Volvo by Ford, etc. People are remarkably ignorant about such things unless they are in the market for those products. Just like a huge percentage of the public does not know Exxon and Mobil are owned by the same company. Or that Citgo is owned by the Venezuelans.
Old 06-21-07, 04:20 PM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I never knew the 2nd IS is an entry level of Lexus. I thought the ES now is the entry level of Lexus. Maybe the IS250 is an entry level but the IS350 definely not an entry level.
Old 06-21-07, 04:30 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

It goes:
IS-ES-GS-SC-LS
SUV: RX-GX-LX

I would say the IS above the C class Benz but equals to the 3 Series. Now a days with all the news about Lexus being #1 and others not scoring in top 5 or 10 or whatever it is now, it gives Lexus a good heads up against other manufactors and their seperation between toyota as being the luxury division.
Old 06-21-07, 04:36 PM
SoddingGit
Rookie

As a BMW owner, I would have to say that the 3 series definitely has NO entry-level stigma about it. As the OP said, it sets the standard. However, there are so many badge-*****s buying BMW and MB that the mind automatically goes there anyway. In my experience, the C-class and MB in general has more of the image stigma where people who know nothing about cars tend to be attracted. There is very little 'enthusiast' following with MB (AMG excluded) where BMW still has a great deal of these people (though it seems to be on the decline).

For me, I am shopping the IS350 not because it is an entry level car, but because there is no other Lexus that I am remotely interested in. If you offered me a loaded LS or a bare-bones IS, I would go with the latter.

My $.02
Old 06-21-07, 04:47 PM
neova
Pole Position

This tends to be a problem with Mercedes because they have an established brand with way more history than Lexus. So for the baby benz, it used to be a problem especially during the 190E era but the C-class has improved a whole lot.

The BMW 3-series never had that problem because it was the benchmark sports sedan and it was meant to be a luxury sports rather than just plain luxury. Although when it came out with the 316i hatchback it also suffered an image problem because it was UGLY and was screaming "I can't afford the full 3-series sedan so I bought one with its *** chopped off to save $3000".

Having owned both the 1st and now 2nd Gen IS, I would have to say the the IS300 didn't really fit in the Lexus gene pool. It was like a black sheep of the family, with its techno gadgetry looks and innovative designs (the famous Atezza lights). However, it always felt like a rebadged toyota to me especially as it was never as luxurious as the other Lexus models. I never really felt like I had a Lexus, but rather a high end Toyota. Despite the quality I could never feel that Lexus tried hard enough to create a unique Lexus sports sedan, and took the short cut to convert the existing Altezza for the USDM market.

With that said, I was impressed and fell in love right away with the current 2nd gen IS. It was NOT a rebadged toyota (in fact Toyota decided to sell the Lexus brand in Japan now), it looked unique and sporty yet it was readily identifiable as a Lexus Luxury Sports Sedan. The interior and exterior was much better than the 1st IS, and our current model has a look of EURO feel to it. It came standard with flared fenders, curvy lines, plush interior - there was very few things we'd need to do to enhance the car. Even when stock the new IS looks like a million dollars.

So I would say "NO", the IS does not look like a cheap entry level luxury car. I get a lot of compliments from other drivers, they all think its a much more expensive car than it is!
Old 06-21-07, 04:48 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, ive said this before and i'll say it again:

In my case i moved to japan in the mid 90's as Lexus was becoming popular here. To me Lexus is a Toyota, just the 'fully loaded' versions. I even put a TRD lic plate frame on my IS (the red TRD ontop and toyota racing development on the bottom in white). If Lexus hadnt opened in japan 1-2yrs (?) back i'd debadge my car and put the toy badges on, actually i was looking forward to doing it...

Ok back to the topic, I actually like the looks of the C class benz, but its a benz... I like the handling/performance of the bmw, but its a bmw... If your gonna buy a new car you buy japanese and the best of the japanese is Toyota, simple.

As for this 'class/prestige' stuff... its all in the mind. Lotta ppl think different than i do and this 'class' stuff amuses me and i am amused by ppl who think its important cuz in the end? its not. Having class dont pay the bills and if they're not paying my bills why should i care what they think?
Old 06-21-07, 04:52 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say since the IS is a car all its own, and a base model C and 3 series even some 5 series and E class cars are taxi cabs in germany or the middle east that the IS is a stand alone entry level luxury car, since it was engineered for that purpose and not a " taurus" of the originating country. So untill you see a IS taxi cab we are all pretty safe from that stereo type.

but that is like saying a accord V6 is less of a car then the TSX based on name recognition alone..... the accord V6 has more powere and is larger then the TSX, in fact the TSX is the JDM accord and the American accord is called an inspire which was engineered to be its own car. In the long run who cares what people think..... i think people that ride the bus smell in generall but you dont see me yelling that at the people at the bus stop so i doubt people will think you are less of aperson if you drive an IS versus a LS
Old 06-21-07, 05:02 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

you can AFFORD to get a german car.....but it's gonna cost you an arm and a leg for maintenance down the road......

sure you dont have to pay anything for the first 4 years/whatever miles (cos they only change your oil every 10K miles!). The REAL hidden cost is the maintenance after 50K miles....

IF you plan to drive a car and sell it before their so called "FREE maintenance" expires, those are perfect cars to get....as you dont have to pay a dime for it (as they already added the cost of maintenance in the purchase price)......
Old 06-21-07, 05:50 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SoddingGit
As a BMW owner, I would have to say that the 3 series definitely has NO entry-level stigma about it. As the OP said, it sets the standard. However, there are so many badge-*****s buying BMW and MB that the mind automatically goes there anyway. In my experience, the C-class and MB in general has more of the image stigma where people who know nothing about cars tend to be attracted. There is very little 'enthusiast' following with MB (AMG excluded) where BMW still has a great deal of these people (though it seems to be on the decline).
I totally agree with you about the mb comments. I think those people don't know muchy about mb or anything else and just want what they consider a nice car.

Now me personally, when I see anyone in a bmw 32X series i instantly think "they just wanted a bmw and are willing to get the cheapest one possible just to have a bmw". Most the hardcore performance bmw always would hold out for the 33x and m series. Again these are just my thoughts so no one get mad.

The IS has it's place. I mean it's not a m series, but to me i would put it above any 32x series. I put it dead even with the 33x and seriously maybe above as far as launch power, and bang for the buck.
Old 06-21-07, 05:57 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well said...... i dont consider alot of the 3 series or C classes to be performance oriented either until you step up to a M or amg, and then you take it in the wallet pretty hard.

as for maintance, i agree the older these cars get the more expensive they are.

harder to find someone to work on them as well, most people i know can work on domestic or japanese cars, but very few can work on german.

i have had a few german cars, my first was a boosted GLI back in 93. the second (really my mothers) a 750 and it was a turd. dealer had to buy it back because of constant electrical issues.

Quick Reply: Perception of IS vs. other entry level lux brands?