IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tint question...SORRY ;)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-07, 07:12 PM
ckeck
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tint question...SORRY ;)

Sorry to make another post about tint, but most of the tint questions/answers are not what I am looking for...

I got a really good quote from my dealer to put on tint when my car comes in...ceramic...$249 and guaranteed for as long as I own the car...

My question is I don't like tint all that much (never had it to be honest). I prefer to see the light of day and the nice colors outside...but I want to block some of the damn heat down here in South Texas.

What percentage should I get the tint for a good look thats not TOO dark and blocks some decent heat? Anyone have any pics in the 50-60% range? Any help/advice/pics is really appreciated.
Old 06-18-07, 07:25 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In all honestly, no tint will block Texas heat.

Any tint shade will help prevent premature aging of the leather and interiors because of UV protection. However, tint shades will not significantly block increasing cabin temperatures. Think about it: black holds heat. If the tint is black...

Best thing to do is to tilt the sunroof to allow heat to rise, and use the seat fans to help cool down the leather temperature.

I hope this helps.
Old 06-18-07, 07:27 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5% double layered with 35% on the windshield

In all honesty Phil is right. You're not going to be able to block out the Texas heat. It just gets way too hot down there. I really don't think it'd be worth it for what you want to get 50-60%. It's not going to be helping much with the heat. It will help with leather care though.
Old 06-18-07, 09:04 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Well what dealer in Texas are you going to? I had my dealer put on 35% ceramics about a month ago. It keeps out the heat really well (at least so far since we haven't had any 100+ degree days in Dallas yet). The only thing I dont like about it at the moment is at night and in dark places (parking garages, etc) the car almost looks like it has very little tint. I would have liked it to be a little darker.

Check out pics here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=281790
Old 06-18-07, 09:12 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Buds
Well what dealer in Texas are you going to? I had my dealer put on 35% ceramics about a month ago. It keeps out the heat really well (at least so far since we haven't had any 100+ degree days in Dallas yet). The only thing I dont like about it at the moment is at night and in dark places (parking garages, etc) the car almost looks like it has very little tint. I would have liked it to be a little darker.

Check out pics here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=281790
Buds, in the 5th pic you can see some weirdo trying to take a pic of your car, you better watch out where you park, damm weirdos are everywhere... like those guys that post on internet forums
Old 06-18-07, 09:21 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Just go with the lightest tint they offer then......

It will help a little and not reduce the vis that much.....
Old 06-18-07, 09:25 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Buds, in the 5th pic you can see some weirdo trying to take a pic of your car, you better watch out where you park, damm weirdos are everywhere... like those guys that post on internet forums
LMAO!
Old 06-18-07, 09:26 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Good thing about ceramic film is that it offers better UV protection than regular film, ie metallic or non metallic film. A 35% ceramic film offers better protection ( UV and heat) than limo tint according to my tint installer. So if you prefer lighter shade, go for the 50% ceramic film. I think that's not too dark and yet provides got heat and shade protection.
Old 06-18-07, 09:37 PM
ckeck
Rookie

Thanks everyone for the advice...I know its not going to have a huge effect on heat but something is better than nothing. And taking care of the interior (leather, etc) is a plus...I am going to swing by the dealer and see if they have a car with ~50% on it...thats probably what shade I will do.
Old 06-19-07, 07:17 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

I have 50% on my front windows and its nearly worthless. Go 35%.
Old 06-19-07, 07:37 AM
ckeck
Rookie

MAYBE 40-45%

What do ya'll prefer looks wise...same all around or darker in the back? Would darker tint interfere with a radar detector?
Old 06-19-07, 09:45 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

I have 35% and I think it might be just what you are looking for. I dont have ceramic though, its some hybrid type. However, its not too dark from the outside but still looks good. From the inside, its almost hard to tell the difference between the windshield (which isnt tinted) and the sides/back which are all 35% tint.

Anyways, definately go and check it out for yourself first. GL.
Old 06-19-07, 12:46 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Tint won't stop heat from building up, that's true, but it will definitely slow it down. Ceramic tint is definitely the way to go if you don't want it to look too dark, but you want the best possible heat rejection.

I got Huper Optik tint myself. Apparently over a two- or three-hour span in 100-degree sunny weather, that tint can keep your car 10-20 degrees cooler than without any tint. I haven't tested it myself, though... but I have been pretty satisfied so far. I got a black interior, and my seats have never been hot to the touch once so far this sumer. It has still gotten pretty warm in the car, but I'm sure it would have been noticably worse without any tint.
Old 06-19-07, 12:56 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i feel your pain, it has been 102 for the last several days. i have 5% and it does help alittle but not that much...... still its 100 plus in the car.

250.00 is a decent deal though, is that for front back and rear?
Old 06-19-07, 01:53 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Tint won't stop heat from building up, that's true, but it will definitely slow it down. Ceramic tint is definitely the way to go if you don't want it to look too dark, but you want the best possible heat rejection.

I got Huper Optik tint myself. Apparently over a two- or three-hour span in 100-degree sunny weather, that tint can keep your car 10-20 degrees cooler than without any tint. I haven't tested it myself, though... but I have been pretty satisfied so far. I got a black interior, and my seats have never been hot to the touch once so far this sumer. It has still gotten pretty warm in the car, but I'm sure it would have been noticably worse without any tint.
This is definitely true. The car will still be warm but if you park facing in the right direction so the sun is hitting windows with tint and not straight into the windshield you can tell a huge difference. While I have yet to leave it out for hours in the heat, I've left it out for an hour or so and have felt a noticeable difference. Especially when I compare it to my Honda that had a gray interior and 30% regular tint.

One of these days I will get around to comparing the interior temperatures between my Black/Black car with Ceramic tint to my mother's White/Gray RX with regular tint.

Quick Reply: Tint question...SORRY ;)