IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine Check, DSC, and TRC lights ON

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-07, 07:01 PM
oliveryo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Check, DSC, and TRC lights ON

Well, just wanted to let you guys know that all 3 of the lights came on. The only engine mod I have done is put a Fujita intake.

When I installed it, none of the lights came on, so I thought "Right On". The intake has been installed for 6 days. Yesterday, I wanted to hear what the intake sounded like, so I turned on the "Power ECT" button and Punched IT.
It sounded awesome, however, all the lights came on.

I went in to the Lexus dealership and they checked it out. The deleted the codes and all lights were gone. The error codes that came out were:

P0171
P0174
C1201

They told me that it was the intake sucking up too much air that caused the lights to go on.

So, my question is: All IS250 owners that have intake installed, has this happen to you? When they clear the codes, did the lights come back on again when you floored it?

Thanks and much appreciated
Old 06-18-07, 07:28 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Perhaps it's the sensor that's reading false errors.

Is it a secure fit? Make sure there are no loose connections...
Old 06-18-07, 07:28 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you noticed any horsepower gain from this air intake? sorry i can't answer ur question.
Old 06-18-07, 07:58 PM
oliveryo
Driver

Phillip: I have checked the connections. Everything is secure.
ReLexin: I don't believe their is a gain, maybe just a tad, but not noticeable.
I got the intake because of the sound.

I would think it would have put some extra horses. The tech said that the error code was too much air being sucked up by the intake. At least I know that more air is going in now.
Old 06-19-07, 07:36 AM
AZ IS350
Pole Position

Occasionally, we get similar warning lights (engine, trac, VSC) on my wife's RX. The error codes indicate an emissions issue. I learned from the RX forums on CL that this is usually means pressure buildup/lack of pressure/bad gas in the tank and can be easily remedied by removing the gas cap for a few seconds and then making sure it is back on tight afterwards. This always fixes my wife's car. The lights will go off after a short drive and/or it is restarted. I'm not saying this will fix your problem, but it's easy to try.
Old 06-19-07, 08:03 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Since you double checked all your connections...

...the CEL's will most likely come back on, from the intake.

It might be an intake design issue or might be even be oil vapor on the mass air flow sensor...
(although i'm not sure if their filters are oiled or dry)

Old 06-19-07, 08:27 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ IS350
Occasionally, we get similar warning lights (engine, trac, VSC) on my wife's RX. The error codes indicate an emissions issue. I learned from the RX forums on CL that this is usually means pressure buildup/lack of pressure/bad gas in the tank and can be easily remedied by removing the gas cap for a few seconds and then making sure it is back on tight afterwards. This always fixes my wife's car. The lights will go off after a short drive and/or it is restarted. I'm not saying this will fix your problem, but it's easy to try.
This advice isn't really applicable to the original poster. He already went to the dealer and had the codes read. The codes for a problem that can be resolved by removing and replacing the gas cap are P0440, P0442, and P0455.
Old 08-11-07, 03:54 PM
burnabykid
Pole Position

I just had the same thing happen to my car, all three lights came on. As well, i noticed a lost in power as i can see that i'm reving passed 5000 rpm just to accelerate, and heavy vibrations. it's got me worried as it just popped up all of a sudden while i was driving under normal conditions around town. I have a 06 IS250 RWD and the only mod i have that may affect anything is my tanabe exhaust.

Called up my dealership and they said i have to bring it in before they can tell me whats going on, so i booked an appointment for monday. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?
Old 12-06-08, 11:37 AM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm duplicating this post from the 3G GS Forum, as it may apply to IS owners. too.

My car (06 GS430) began giving me more frequent "Check VSC" warnings. (Code P0455 in my case. Really glad I bought that OBDII tool--resetting the codes is a snap!)

I knew that a loose gas cap could cause this, so normally I just give it a twist and it tightens. Now I found that no matter how many "clicks" I tightened the gas cap, it would not cinch down snug. The lightest turn the opposite way would open it.

I was all set to head over to CarQuest for a replacement filler cap. But I thought I'd inspect mine first just to see why it stopped holding. Upon inspection, I saw that what holds the cap in place is compression of the rubber O-ring at the back of the cap, which compresses against the filler neck. That apparently was no longer happening.

I carefully removed the O-ring from the cap--using screwdrivers to lift it over the edge of the groove it sits in. Like removing a bike tire from the rim--work your way around. Then I cut a strip of electrical tape about 10" long, and 1/4" wide. I wound this into the curved groove where the O-ring normally sits, just to build up a little thickness. Put the O-ring back in place. Done.

Now the cap tightens like it's supposed to, and thus far, it has stopped the VSC error codes.

Last edited by DrexLex; 12-06-08 at 11:50 AM.