IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine noise level

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-07, 08:15 PM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ldc
Not sure if anyone has brought this up or not but is it me or is the Is engine noise level not as quiet as it should be.

I'm abit disappointed that the engine isnt as silent as the LS/Gs and i'm not sure why Lexus didnt make it so.

Anyone?
the IS and GS both have the same engine
Old 06-18-07, 08:52 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SoddingGit
There is a huge enthusiast following that would disagree with you on that one.

That's like saying that the IS isn't a sport sedan unless its an IS350.
Let those thinks the 320i is a sports car, cast the first stone!

And no that's not like saying the Isn't a sports sedan unless it's a IS350. I have not mentioned anything about the Is350 being a sports car (in my definition of sports) nor any Is for that matter.

Are you saying the 320i is a performance car?

Do you know the difference between a performance car and a sports car?
Old 06-18-07, 09:09 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ldc
I want hybrid/electric/Ls-like quiet dammmit!!!!!!!

I don't want my car to be like any other cars........
And I wish my girlfriend looked like Jessica Alba. What's your point?

You are bordering on hopeless... It's a car. It makes noise. It makes less noise than any other gasoline car in its price range and below. People have spent money to make it noisier, actually.

Maybe you need to write to Lexus and ask them to do something about the noise of the engine. While you are at it, ask for Prius gas mileage and LS horsepower. It's a Lexus. It can do anything!
Old 06-18-07, 10:16 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only time my IS sounds loud to me from the outside is when the radiator fans kick on full blast. Other than that, I don't find it loud at all, although the injector sound is kind of annoying. Hopefully Toyota continues development of this engine and the injector sound is addressed in future years.

In the end, the car is what it is. Can't do anything about it because there is nothing wrong with it. If it bothers you that much and you want an hybrid/electric/ls like car, trade in the IS for a GS450h, if that is out of your price range, there is always the Prius or the Camery hybrid.
Old 06-18-07, 10:36 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by sirkfc
And I wish my girlfriend looked like Jessica Alba. What's your point?

You are bordering on hopeless... It's a car. It makes noise. It makes less noise than any other gasoline car in its price range and below. People have spent money to make it noisier, actually.

Maybe you need to write to Lexus and ask them to do something about the noise of the engine. While you are at it, ask for Prius gas mileage and LS horsepower. It's a Lexus. It can do anything!
To be honest i don't care much about power, i just want what's acceptable. For me the Lexus is all about luxury cruising and comfort. I never meant to whinge but like everyone else i just want abit more with my car that's all.
Old 06-18-07, 10:57 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ldc
To be honest i don't care much about power, i just want what's acceptable. For me the Lexus is all about luxury cruising and comfort. I never meant to whinge but like everyone else i just want abit more with my car that's all.
Nothing wrong with that, if you cared about hp you'd be in some version of a Holden, thou if you wanted luxury cruising and comfort you shoulda got a ES350.

I wish i was in a holden thou...
Old 06-19-07, 08:17 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tt061880
the IS and GS both have the same engine
Yeah but the GS has better sound dampening. You can't hear anything inside of that thing short of mild road noise from the tires.
Old 06-19-07, 08:31 AM
Yay-Z
Lead Lap

the is has noise? that was one of the selling points for me, that the car was really quiet, especially compared to the g35
Old 06-19-07, 10:24 AM
SoddingGit
Rookie

Originally Posted by ldc
Let those thinks the 320i is a sports car, cast the first stone!

And no that's not like saying the Isn't a sports sedan unless it's a IS350. I have not mentioned anything about the Is350 being a sports car (in my definition of sports) nor any Is for that matter.

Are you saying the 320i is a performance car?

Do you know the difference between a performance car and a sports car?
Touchy aren't we? Take it easy there killer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3rl1SJbo6o&NR=1

Stone thrown. And no, not every BMW is a performance car, neither is every Lexus a sport sedan. And yes, the IS is a sport sedan....as are all 4 door cars designed to be at least minimally sporty.
Old 06-19-07, 10:46 AM
j|michael
Driver

Originally Posted by ldc
i guess if you have a 250 then you can't appreciate the beautiful rumble of the engine like with the 350. it sounds so sleek when idling, and so powerful when at full throttle.

i love it when i'm in power mode and every time i so much as caress the peddle the engine screams in response. i really prefer it to the sound of the larger engines, like in my dad's 540.

your point sort of makes sense, though, since the 250 is a tuned down version, you would get some of the idling noise without the powerful rumble of the 306 wanting out.

maybe a car where the high end model is priced at the 250 level, you'll find less noise. just a thought?
Old 06-19-07, 11:22 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by j|michael
i love it when i'm in power mode and every time i so much as caress the peddle the engine screams in response. i really prefer it to the sound of the larger engines, like in my dad's 540.
Do you have a cold air intake, or an aftermarket exhaust? The power and torque of my bone stock IS350 puts an ear-to-ear grin on my face when I drop the hammer, but it's nothing special to listen to.

(Or maybe we just like different music. I prefer the sonorous burble of a V8 )
Old 06-19-07, 11:28 AM
j|michael
Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
Do you have a cold air intake, or an aftermarket exhaust? The power and torque of my bone stock IS350 puts an ear-to-ear grin on my face when I drop the hammer, but it's nothing special to listen to.

(Or maybe we just like different music. I prefer the sonorous burble of a V8 )
I have neither. Mine is stock as well. I'm referring to the scream of the actual engine cranking at redline.

don't get me wrong, a well tuned v8 (m3, rs4, etc.) sounds absolutely incredible. but i'm referring to more comparable cars, like an s4, charger (and most brute american cars), etc. the 6 has more of a tuned sound.
Old 06-19-07, 11:53 AM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have got to be kidding. I thought the car was TOO quiet. That was my minor complaint was the car's little engine noise. So I put the intake and exhaust on it and it sounds better to me. Plus, you bought a sports sedan. It is supposed to be sporty not a quiet cruiser.
Old 06-19-07, 12:02 PM
intrinsic
Pole Position

geez.... this is gettig kinda funny. i say sell your car and get yourself a BICYCLE! cant get any quieter than that.... or get yourself a pair of nice nike running shoes!
Old 06-19-07, 12:44 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by intrinsic
geez.... this is gettig kinda funny. i say sell your car and get yourself a BICYCLE! cant get any quieter than that.... or get yourself a pair of nice nike running shoes!
Biycycle??? but the chain is too loud...

Nike? yea those chinese kids sure do make a damm good shoe.

Quick Reply: Engine noise level