IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

check your remote batteries guys!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-07, 08:08 AM
dngo27
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does the remote just pop open? i just looked at my fob, no indents to pry open. i might as well replace my battery now too. its been about 16 months for me.
Old 06-19-07, 08:09 AM
dngo27
Driver

check that, theres an indent within the key slot. you can use the metal key end to pop it open.
Old 06-19-07, 10:05 AM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey guys, if you keep your key in your pocket all the time and dont use the buttons, the battery will last you years. if you always use the fob to lock/unlock/trunk then you can wear it down after 15k miles. when the key is dying you have to put the key fob right up to the start button to start the car. if you stop to park, but leave the car running the car may say it cant find the key. this is why youre able to lock the fob in the car.
Old 06-19-07, 10:24 AM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by gshb
hey guys, if you keep your key in your pocket all the time and dont use the buttons, the battery will last you years. if you always use the fob to lock/unlock/trunk then you can wear it down after 15k miles. when the key is dying you have to put the key fob right up to the start button to start the car. if you stop to park, but leave the car running the car may say it cant find the key. this is why youre able to lock the fob in the car.
im not so sure about that. hardly ever used the buttons on my keyfob and the OEM battery only last me 1.5 years. i have noticed that if the key is in the car the light on the keyfob will flash every few minutes. im assuming that the car and the key constantly sends a signal to each other to make sure the car can detect the keyfob.
Old 06-19-07, 11:32 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by IS_250
im not so sure about that. hardly ever used the buttons on my keyfob and the OEM battery only last me 1.5 years. i have noticed that if the key is in the car the light on the keyfob will flash every few minutes. im assuming that the car and the key constantly sends a signal to each other to make sure the car can detect the keyfob.
You are exactly correct. The documentation says if you plan to store the car more than 21 days, you should ensure the key is not stored within 1 meter of the car to allow the power saving feature for the car's battery to work. The same is true for the key. There is a whole section in the New Car Features book about this.
Old 06-19-07, 08:43 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just started having problems with this starting the other day. First, my doors would not always lock when I press the button on the door handle. Today, I got into the car going back to work at lunch time and when I went to start the car, the display read "key not detected". I stopped by Radio Shack (they carry the battery, but it's only available online) and a local Walgreens and they both did not have this battery. I ended up going to the dealership where the sell the battery for $4.00. Not a bad price considering I found them online for $2.00, but then it cost another $2.00 for shipping. Since JM Lexus doesn't close until 10 PM, I decided to stop in today after work and I purchased the battery from them. They even installed it for me. I've had my car for about 1 1/2 years.
Old 06-19-07, 09:37 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

no matter what it shouldn't last such a short time.. my other car's fob has lasted me 6 years without even ONE battery change and is still going strong. It shouldn't matter if you use the buttons or not.
Old 06-19-07, 09:43 PM
jackblack7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ba-b4
no matter what it shouldn't last such a short time.. my other car's fob has lasted me 6 years without even ONE battery change and is still going strong. It shouldn't matter if you use the buttons or not.
But your other car fob is only "on" when you push the button. The Lexus fob is always on.
Old 06-21-07, 12:51 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

no the lexus fob is not always on. it only activates when you touch the sensor on the back side of the door handle. once you do that the car sends a signal to the fob and it goes threw its "hand shake" routine to verify that the fob is programed to the car.
Old 06-21-07, 01:23 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Good reminder
Old 06-21-07, 03:05 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by sinister2c
no the lexus fob is not always on. it only activates when you touch the sensor on the back side of the door handle. once you do that the car sends a signal to the fob and it goes threw its "hand shake" routine to verify that the fob is programed to the car.
You're mistaken. Like any active RFID device, the Lexus smart key is continuously powered. Power draw while waiting to be read is fairly negligible, but when transmitting is much higher.

If you watch the red light on the key as you approach the car, you'll see that it starts flashing (once every 10 seconds or so) when you are several feet away. If you are approaching from the side, the puddle lights are illuminated after the first flash. All this happens long before you touch the door handle.
Old 06-21-07, 07:18 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

I replaced my battery a couple months ago when the little screen on the instrument cluster told me that it was low.... i wonder why you didnt get the message?
Old 06-21-07, 07:52 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
You're mistaken. Like any active RFID device, the Lexus smart key is continuously powered. Power draw while waiting to be read is fairly negligible, but when transmitting is much higher.

If you watch the red light on the key as you approach the car, you'll see that it starts flashing (once every 10 seconds or so) when you are several feet away. If you are approaching from the side, the puddle lights are illuminated after the first flash. All this happens long before you touch the door handle.
The documentation says its sending and receiving every 250msec once you are inside one meter. Even at close range, that's a pretty healthy power drain.
Old 06-21-07, 09:25 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

so when you're closer than 1 meter then the key is constantly sending and receiving? So outside of 1 meter though it should be completely off then right? Man if this is the case I'd prefer to just use the old fashioned regular fob and key system than always having to replace these batteries.
Old 06-21-07, 10:05 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by ba-b4
So outside of 1 meter though it should be completely off then right?
No, it has to be powered so that it will know when the car is interrogating it. Your cell phone won't ring if you have it turned off, right?

If the battery dies, there is also a failsafe "passive" mode. When you hold the fob directly in front of the start/stop button, it will be powered by induced current.

Quick Reply: check your remote batteries guys!