IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Can't get the HomeLink to learn

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-07, 09:09 AM
ClueByFour
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
The directions say it's 2 step for Rolling Codes--first you hold the remote close to the home link until the home link flashes, THEN you have the home link learn from the opener. The same directions are on Homelink.com.
This is accurate.

I spent a few hours bashing my head against the wall on this until I looked at it as a two stepper: get the car to emulate the remote and then get the opener to "learn" the car. Getting the opener to learn the car required getting on the ladder and punching the button on the back of the opener.

After that, no problems. This with a Chamberlain/Liftmaster with rolling codes.
Old 06-11-07, 09:17 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I am the OP and I have a Genie as well, I followed the instructions to the dot and no work, I thought u don't need to get on the ladder until you get the rear view mirror unit to flash rapidly. I can't get it to flash rapidly. I do see one variation or two being posted here so I will try it.

Anyone else have a @!*(# GENIE opener please tell me what you did to make it work????
Old 06-11-07, 09:27 AM
homer4598
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stock4AG
I am the OP and I have a Genie as well, I followed the instructions to the dot and no work, I thought u don't need to get on the ladder until you get the rear view mirror unit to flash rapidly. I can't get it to flash rapidly. I do see one variation or two being posted here so I will try it.

Anyone else have a @!*(# GENIE opener please tell me what you did to make it work????

I don't have a GENIE, but mine was a pain. Followed all of the instructions, multiple times. What ultimately worked was reseting the car's buttons, THEN starting fresh. Push the button on the back of the door opener motor (didn't need to hold it -- stays active for 30 seconds), then go the car and push and hold the button.

The first time I got it to work by accident and didn't realize it. I was driving away from the house pushing the buttons, then just drove off. Yeah, I opened the garage door which remained open (with the interior door unlocked) until the next morning when I came back. Luckily I was moving in so there was nothing in the house.
Old 06-11-07, 11:20 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Hey guys, I got it to work, I don't know what I did.

I went and got a new battery for my genie remote, it was only $3 for 2..
at first I tried to program it again it didn't work (same as before.. slow blink and turn off eventually). Then second time I got the rapid flash in just a few seconds.
This is all while the engine was running on the driveway. Not sure if that helps or not.
I erased the memory in between too.

After I got the rapid flash, (follow step two the ladder part) I hit the button on the opener (motor) itself, hit the homelink buttons a couple times and it worked.

So the instructions does work, just make sure you have a new battery for the opener.
Old 06-11-07, 12:15 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad that I am not alone on this. Let me get this straight. Correct me if I am wrong.

Rolling code openers:
1. frist program handheld remote to homelink, press remote button while holding one homelink button. wait for rapid flashes.
2. run to the ladder and press program botton on opener
3. run back to car and hold the same homelink button as earlier until "click"
Old 06-11-07, 12:50 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
I'm glad that I am not alone on this. Let me get this straight. Correct me if I am wrong.

Rolling code openers:
1. frist program handheld remote to homelink, press remote button while holding one homelink button. wait for rapid flashes.
2. run to the ladder and press program botton on opener
3. run back to car and hold the same homelink button as earlier until "click"
I never noticed any click during the process. step 3 should be, go back to car and press the homelink button two times slowly, should work on the second, if not, a third press. (same as described in the manual). Except I had huge trouble getting pass the first step, which I can't get the rapid flashes.
Oh you don't have to RUN... The only time you might want to hurry is after you press the button on the opener, my genie had 30 seconds where you can program your new remote (in our case the homelink) which 30 is actually quite sufficient to get back in the car and press a button.
Old 06-11-07, 11:38 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can program your Homelink while you're parked inside the garage. My cousin was having trouble programming her RX Homelink and I did it while parked inside her garage.

Originally Posted by TWQ83
Rolling code requires the Garage door in front of the car
Old 09-11-15, 11:08 AM
dpmeaux
Driver School Candidate

Default ES 330 & 350 Homelink - No fast flash... Solved!

One simple alteration to the owner's manual instructions solved it for me... Instead of pressing both buttons at the same time (desired Homelink button and the handheld remote button) and then continuing to hold while waiting for the fast flash which never comes ... Try pressing and holding ONLY the Homelink button until it begins to flash slowly (be patient) and THEN while continuing to hold the Homelink button, press and hold the handheld button until the slow flash becomes a fast flash and then release both. This worked for me.
Old 04-12-16, 08:13 AM
supraman6
Rookie

dpmeaux, worked great! I have no manual so this was a huge help!
Old 04-12-16, 01:26 PM
SwedeMetal
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

supraman6 - So you held the HOMELINK button down on mirror until it started to flash slowly, then you held the button on your clicker and this made the mirror button flash rapidly?

I have 2008 IS350 and CANNOT get the gosh darnit to heck programming to work! My opener is a new Chamberlain MyQ type. I was never able to get the FAST FLASHING to start on the dag nabbit mirror itself. I will try this method when I get back to the car.
Old 04-12-16, 01:56 PM
SwedeMetal
Rookie

supraman6 - So you held the HOMELINK button down on mirror until it started to flash slowly, then you held the button on your clicker and this made the mirror button flash rapidly?

I have 2008 IS350 and CANNOT get the gosh darnit to heck programming to work! My opener is a new Chamberlain MyQ type. I was never able to get the FAST FLASHING to start on the dag nabbit mirror itself. I will try this method when I get back to the car.
Old 04-12-16, 01:57 PM
SC400MAN
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I posted this earlier on another thread. It depends on the brand of the opener and the year and make of the car. I have a 2007 IS and had replaced my garage opener with a Liftmaster. I could not get it to pair with the IS. I called the opener manufacturer and found that because Lexus had not sent in the specs on time, I needed an add-on box, which they sent for about $10.00. Then it programmed perfectly. You might want to call the opener mfg first.
Old 04-12-16, 02:33 PM
SwedeMetal
Rookie

I am a newbie and it looks like my first post is still being processed by a mod. I am unable to get mine to work but will try the advise listed by dpmeaux when I am able.

My opener is a newer (2 or 3 years?) Whisper quiet belt drive called MyQ. Perhaps I should call them to see if 2008 Lexus homelink mirror works.

WHICH REMINDS ME - My mirror, cosmetically, not very pretty. Black lines on it, etc... Can I replace that mirror on my 2008 IS350 with a NEWER STYLE mirror, say from a 2009 to 2012 based IS350??
Old 04-12-16, 05:05 PM
supraman6
Rookie

my opener is old as hell so it doesn't have any fancy encryption or buttons on the unit so I knew mine would be simple once I found the procedure. If you have a newer unit you might need a different process.
Old 04-12-16, 08:41 PM
SwedeMetal
Rookie

Well I am pretty sure that my specific opener which is a newerish (2013??) Chamberlain unit and using the Secure 2.0 version will NOT work with the homelink stuff that was in any vehicle made before 2013... The car will NOT interface with garage opener, period. The button on the rear view never gets into fast flashing light mode so it has never learned the xmitter.

QUESTION! Can I buy a rear view mirror on ebay that was meant for a 2013 IS350 and put it into my 2008 IS350???

Quick Reply: Can't get the HomeLink to learn