IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dead Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-07, 10:14 AM
mir
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dead Battery?

Hi everyone first post here... IS250 owner for a week now.

This morning when I tried to put some stuff in trunk I noticed the trunk was not opening. I was holding down the trunk open key on the remote. Still no go. Got suspicious and tried to open driver side door. It opened, without beep. hmmm... I pushed the trunk release button and still no pop. Tried start button, nothing came on. So I guess the battery died overnight for some reason.

I am trying to understand what can cause the battery to die. I was fiddling with my phone last night and may have left the interior lights on. But from the owner's manual, I see that the interior lights if left on will go off after 20 mins to save the battery. I am sure headlights turned off after 30seconds. So what other things may cause it?

Thanks
Mir
Old 06-08-07, 10:25 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe it's the key battery? And the car is not sensing it...

The key battery can "die" if in contact with a cell phone or other electronic device (laptops, garage openers) for a long period of time.

Did you check if your spare key worked?
Old 06-08-07, 10:36 AM
GSE25
Lead Lap

Exact same thing happened to me just this morning. Couldn't open/lock via the door handles nor start the car (car couldn't detect key). I tried my other key fob and it worked... brought the faulty key fob to the dealer and showed them, and guess what.. it worked... go figure.. Technician told me if the battery was going, the buttons on the key fob wouldn't be as sensitive, but that was not the case. This is the first time this has happened in almost 2 years of ownership.
Old 06-08-07, 10:42 AM
mir
Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Maybe it's the key battery? And the car is not sensing it...

The key battery can "die" if in contact with a cell phone or other electronic device (laptops, garage openers) for a long period of time.

Did you check if your spare key worked?
That is a good idea. I will try it once I am back home. In the morning I was in a hurry and did not do much trouble shooting.

Thanks
Old 06-08-07, 11:26 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSE25
Exact same thing happened to me just this morning. Couldn't open/lock via the door handles nor start the car (car couldn't detect key). I tried my other key fob and it worked... brought the faulty key fob to the dealer and showed them, and guess what.. it worked... go figure.. Technician told me if the battery was going, the buttons on the key fob wouldn't be as sensitive, but that was not the case. This is the first time this has happened in almost 2 years of ownership.
I thought I remember reading that the battery in the fob only lasts about 2 years... I might be wrong though...
Old 06-08-07, 12:15 PM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mir
Hi everyone first post here... IS250 owner for a week now.

This morning when I tried to put some stuff in trunk I noticed the trunk was not opening. I was holding down the trunk open key on the remote. Still no go. Got suspicious and tried to open driver side door. It opened, without beep. hmmm... I pushed the trunk release button and still no pop. Tried start button, nothing came on. So I guess the battery died overnight for some reason.

I am trying to understand what can cause the battery to die. I was fiddling with my phone last night and may have left the interior lights on. But from the owner's manual, I see that the interior lights if left on will go off after 20 mins to save the battery. I am sure headlights turned off after 30seconds. So what other things may cause it?

Thanks
Mir
happened to me too.
I came back from college and found my car's battery dead. i have no idea what caused it, but kind of sux, cuz i heard once the battery dies like that, it never runs the same again and i should replace it soon.
Old 06-08-07, 12:36 PM
mir
Driver

Someone on another forum also suggested that I might have left the car in "acc" mode. Since I was fiddling with my BT phone, that is a possibility. And that leaves the car in "on" mode and no overrideds work. However, after I got out of the car I did press the "lock" button on the remote. Shouldn't that shut car down? I guess I should had stuck around to see if it really locked or not.
Old 06-08-07, 12:50 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the car will shut itself off after an hour if left in ACC mode
Old 06-08-07, 01:00 PM
GSE25
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ben_r_
I thought I remember reading that the battery in the fob only lasts about 2 years... I might be wrong though...
That would explain it then. The stealership replaced the keyfob battery for $20 CDN..
Old 08-31-07, 01:53 PM
macpro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ben_r_

I picked-up my IS350 on October 31, 2005, and today my battery in the keyfob died. So, it lasted about 22 months.

I did try the spare key before getting a new battery to verify it was the keyfob and not the car.

I got a new battery CR1632 from Batteries Plus for less than $4.00.
Old 08-31-07, 03:20 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by macpro
I picked-up my IS350 on October 31, 2005, and today my battery in the keyfob died. So, it lasted about 22 months.

I did try the spare key before getting a new battery to verify it was the keyfob and not the car.

I got a new battery CR1632 from Batteries Plus for less than $4.00.
Nice, thanks for posting and giving us a date. Thats pretty close to what Lexus says it lasts. I picked up a bunch of the batteries on ebay for a few bucks. Just in case, Im prepared!