IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-07, 02:53 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear bra

I've seen a lot of mention about this, and for those that have it, I have a few questions before I do this to my car. I know it says it's a transparent film, but how do you clean your car if it has clear bra? I assume trying to wax is pointless? How do you keep it clean or get that deep glossy finish? I've read the web site, and it doesn't seem obvious to me how it works. I'm not sure how something that is a clear thin piece of plastic is going to prevent a rock from chipping the hood of my car or bumper.
Old 05-28-07, 04:25 PM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The guy who installed my clear bra recommended spraying Plexus on it after every 2 washes. I have been using it and It does give it a shine and the bugs come off pretty easy. I love my clear bra

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=280244
Old 05-28-07, 05:48 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

This is and excerpt from the FAQ section on the 3M website in regards to their paint protection film.

Q. Can I use wax over Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film?
A. Yes. When waxing the vehicle, some wax may build up along the film edges. This can easily be removed when dry with a soft cloth, such as a 3M™ High Performance Cloth. Do not use any waxes containing dyes or waxes that are not recommended for urethanes. Abrasive polishes and/or rubbing compounds are not to be used.
I'm pretty sure most this goes for most of the other clear films on the market.
Old 05-28-07, 06:04 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

So is it really that clear that you don't notice it is even there? How do you keep it looking as good as the rest of the car? Do you get the car detailed right before applying the protective film since it is semi-permanent?
Old 05-28-07, 07:32 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by jdanon
So is it really that clear that you don't notice it is even there? How do you keep it looking as good as the rest of the car? Do you get the car detailed right before applying the protective film since it is semi-permanent?
You will see the seams where the pieces end, but as long as you get a good install that is pretty much it. When it is dark, the bra is easier to see, but in the sun it's practically invisible. When I wear my polarized sunglasses I can see some trippy colors from the bra but that is about it. Also, there is no need to get it detailed before installation.

If you are taking it to someone else to get detailed after installing the bra, make sure to tell them so they don't use a waxer on it. My installer (Francisco @ Aerotect ) told me that it's possible to bring the edges up a bit if it's getting buffed too much. But, all you need to do is bring some painter's tape (that's the blue one right?) and put it on the seams as kind of a warning to the detailer.
Old 05-28-07, 07:35 PM
bISdak250
Driver School Candidate

Yes, it is definitely clear. For the "untrained" eye, it can't be seen. Just had mine installed this morning, my friends did not notice it's there until I pointed out the film edges.

No need to get the car detailed before install, just wash it with soap and water. DON'T WAX. My car is only 5 days old so I didn't even wash it, the installer did the all the necessary cleaning prior to installation.

As for maintenance, the film card says
  1. Apply the automotive wax to your film precisely as you would to the underlying paint finish. But I would definitely avoid, as mentioned above, any waxes containing dyes or waxes that are not recommended for urethanes and abrasive polishes and/or rubbing compounds.
  2. As for white vehicles, they say that it must be washed weekly and waxed monthly to stop discoloring due to dirt, acid rain, pollen, etc becoming
    embedded in the film. Waranty will be voided if film is not maintained on a white car.

I have GFM so I will consider it as white. I wash my cars weekly anyways, so no problem .

Last edited by bISdak250; 05-28-07 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-28-07, 07:49 PM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I think it is the best idea!
Old 05-28-07, 08:43 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

I've seen a lot of mention about this, and for those that have it, I have a few questions before I do this to my car. I know it says it's a transparent film, but how do you clean your car if it has clear bra? I assume trying to wax is pointless? How do you keep it clean or get that deep glossy finish? I've read the web site, and it doesn't seem obvious to me how it works. I'm not sure how something that is a clear thin piece of plastic is going to prevent a rock from chipping the hood of my car or bumper.
My biggest regret is not getting my front bumper a clear bra. My hood has maybe 4 rock chips, but my front bumper has about 10 with 7.5k miles. Definitely get the front bumper done!
Old 05-28-07, 09:33 PM
RobbieR
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sold on the idea. Especially with a $500 price tag. Regardless, even with a clear bra, a rock traveling at 80mph towards your front bumper will make a mark.

If it's bugs your worried about, wax the front bumper and lower hood often. It will be easier to remove the residue and reduce the damage done to your paint.
Old 05-28-07, 10:06 PM
wushuboy
Driver

where can i get this plexus stuff.. do they sell it at retail stores?
Old 05-29-07, 05:28 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I could not find the Plexus at any of my local stores so I did a search online and it is sold at a lot of online stores. The installer mentioned looking at a motorcycle shop. It is a plastic cleaner and polish so I also use it on the headlights too.
Old 05-29-07, 07:53 AM
AZ IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bISdak250
As for maintenance, the film card says
  1. Apply the automotive wax to your film precisely as you would to the underlying paint finish. But I would definitely avoid, as mentioned above, any waxes containing dyes or waxes that are not recommended for urethanes and abrasive polishes and/or rubbing compounds.
  2. As for white vehicles, they say that it must be washed weekly and waxed monthly to stop discoloring due to dirt, acid rain, pollen, etc becoming
    embedded in the film. Waranty will be voided if film is not maintained on a white car.

I have GFM so I will consider it as white. I wash my cars weekly anyways, so no problem .
This is my one biggest complaint and disappointment with the clear bra. The clear bra on my GFM is already showing some discoloration (yellowing), even though it has been garaged and out of the elements for literally 90% of its life. I wash regularly and have waxed it a few times too. Mine's not even a daily driver (5k miles in just under a year) so I really question the long-term durability of the film, although it has saved me from a few nasty rock chips. I wish I had gotten the film card or even a verbal warning on this condition when I got it installed.
Old 05-29-07, 09:04 AM
bISdak250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AZ IS350
This is my one biggest complaint and disappointment with the clear bra. The clear bra on my GFM is already showing some discoloration (yellowing), even though it has been garaged and out of the elements for literally 90% of its life. I wash regularly and have waxed it a few times too. Mine's not even a daily driver (5k miles in just under a year) so I really question the long-term durability of the film, although it has saved me from a few nasty rock chips. I wish I had gotten the film card or even a verbal warning on this condition when I got it installed.
AZ IS350, do you have the 3M clear bra?
Old 05-29-07, 02:46 PM
AZ IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bISdak250
AZ IS350, do you have the 3M clear bra?
Yes it's the 3M clear bra, done by a 3M certified installer. The discoloration risk was never mentioned to me and I don't recall receiving any care literature with it either. I'll have to double-check.
Old 05-29-07, 03:09 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AZ IS350
Yes it's the 3M clear bra, done by a 3M certified installer. The discoloration risk was never mentioned to me and I don't recall receiving any care literature with it either. I'll have to double-check.
IIRC 3M has a 5 year warranty against yellowing, cracking, etc.? Check with your installer.

Quick Reply: Clear bra