IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Removing Center Speaker Grill

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-07, 10:06 AM
250-awd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Center Speaker Grill

Does anyone know how to remove the center grill above the dashboard? i had it in for service twice and both times the rattles I experience go away for about 5-7 days, then come back. I have had enough and I have decided to take matters into my own hands. It has gotten so bad that I have been driving my Mazda6 for the past week because I just can't take the noise anymore.
Old 05-27-07, 12:02 PM
intrinsic
Pole Position

it just pops right out, no screws or anything. just go get a precision screwdriver or speaker grill remover and your god to go!
Old 05-29-07, 04:36 PM
250-awd
Rookie

thanks a lot
Old 05-29-07, 04:58 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

What are you planning on doing? My center speaker rattles on occasion when temps get low.
Old 05-29-07, 05:21 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya, keep us posted... I have not found a way to get rid of that rattle as it would require a lot of foam under the dash and I have not had the time to take the dash apart yet...
Old 05-29-07, 06:26 PM
250-awd
Rookie

Well I spoke to a friend of mine who is a mechanic at toyota and he says that he sees that problem all the time with the new camry and avalon. Since they were designed in Japan, they werent thoughtful of us in colder climates so they didn't insulate the clips well enough. He told me to just get some glue-backed felt and insulated the slips with it. Also, my door panel is rattling too so i will bet some foam and pack it in there but the center grill is first. I was driving yesturday and couldn't enjoy it one bit because of that rattle.
Old 05-29-07, 07:04 PM
GSE25
Lead Lap

I know what you mean, and I plan to do this myself as well.. I even had the dealership take apart my dash to fix this. But as I expected, they made it WORSE. It was much worse during winter, I got pissed everytime I drove the car.
Old 05-29-07, 07:13 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 250-awd
Well I spoke to a friend of mine who is a mechanic at toyota and he says that he sees that problem all the time with the new camry and avalon. Since they were designed in Japan, they werent thoughtful of us in colder climates so they didn't insulate the clips well enough. He told me to just get some glue-backed felt and insulated the slips with it. Also, my door panel is rattling too so i will bet some foam and pack it in there but the center grill is first. I was driving yesturday and couldn't enjoy it one bit because of that rattle.
Insulate what clips? The center speaker grille is not the cause of the rattle... I removed the grill and the rattle was still there... It's only silenced by putting pressure on the dash in the area near the center speaker...
Old 05-30-07, 03:17 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,512 Likes on 656 Posts

The dash rattle i was getting was also from the center speaker grill area. I popped that off and stuffed a ~8"x3"x1" piece of high dense foam vertically down the speaker mount hole with the end barely sticking out so that when the grill is put back on, it pushes it down. Well so far, dash has been quiet. I did go to the dealer and asked them about it, they said they will have to take the dash out and I didn't like the idea. Hope this helps out somebody with the same issue. Ron

I made the above post ~1 month ago. The dash has been quiet since, never made that rattling noise once. I'm not sure how it will work if you have a speaker there though.
Old 05-30-07, 09:10 AM
trio
Driver

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
The dash rattle i was getting was also from the center speaker grill area. I popped that off and stuffed a ~8"x3"x1" piece of high dense foam vertically down the speaker mount hole with the end barely sticking out so that when the grill is put back on, it pushes it down. Well so far, dash has been quiet. I did go to the dealer and asked them about it, they said they will have to take the dash out and I didn't like the idea. Hope this helps out somebody with the same issue. Ron

I made the above post ~1 month ago. The dash has been quiet since, never made that rattling noise once. I'm not sure how it will work if you have a speaker there though.
where'd you get this peice of foam from? I'd love to try this.
Old 05-30-07, 10:40 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I need to get on this. I refuse to have the dealer remove my dash, i rather just pop out the center speaker grill and the front vent area and stuff foam in there. Over time, i'm sure i can get it quiet...
Old 05-30-07, 10:44 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MrMut
I need to get on this. I refuse to have the dealer remove my dash, i rather just pop out the center speaker grill and the front vent area and stuff foam in there. Over time, i'm sure i can get it quiet...
You have the right idea... I am going to do the same thing eventually, but I have been VERY lazy lately... And besides, the rattling seems to have mostly gone away, plus I listen to loud music all the time

But ya, if you pop the vents out, and also the center speaker, you have access under the dash... Shove a ton of dense foam in there, and I'm quite sure the rattles will go away...

I've got a small rattle near the passenger side vent... Don't know what's causing that though... Maybe just something in my glove box... Again, I've been too lazy to investigate... Just been enjoying redlining the car a couple dozen times a day
Old 05-31-07, 12:15 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,512 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by trio
where'd you get this peice of foam from? I'd love to try this.

I got the foam from work, We use them to organize our tools by cutting out the tools' shapes from it. It was a scrap piece. Anyway, I imagine any craft store may have them, just don't get the one that crumble really easy. If you can't find them, LMK. I have some left here.