IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Windshield Cracked for the THIRD TIME!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-07, 09:02 AM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Windshield Cracked for the THIRD TIME!! CANCEL WINGUARD

Lexus has to be using some really cheap glass to make our windshields. I originally had an IS 250 which I recieved my first chip in the windshield. It didn't spread but was repaired by Autoshield Plus. 6 Months later I got another chip, it was repaired, but then spread and the windshield was replaced. I traded my 250 in for a 350 (She's 3 Months Old) and yesterday a rock hit my windshield and boy has it spread. It started off as just a little mark and before I could get off the freeway to stop it spread to almost a foot. I live in Houston Texas and there's plenty of diesels on our freeways so it's bound to happen. The good thing is when I traded my car I got the windshield protection plan from the dealership (MAP) so I didn't have to pay Autoshield Plus another $500 since their protection plan is non-transferable.

Has anyone else experienced this or if you take nothing else from this thread, Get a windshield Protection Plan, it's worth it!

Read my last post on pg. 3 to get the whole story on WINGUARD

Last edited by 350PsDMeuP; 06-05-07 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-26-07, 09:51 AM
cancellino
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few chips, very small. I have glass protection with my insurance and living in the south west it is well worth it, although I have not noticed a difference in quality compared to other cars that I have owned.
Old 05-26-07, 10:14 AM
SParker1tx
Pole Position

I live in Houston, TX Also and I have gone almost a whole year now without a single scratch, knock on wood!! However, my old ES got smashed after a little over a year of driving it with a nice big ol rock chip >.<
Old 05-26-07, 10:38 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

A lot of the issue is the angle of the windshield glass...not the materials. Japanese glass is very superior in quality to most glass out there. Toyotas & Lexus manufactured in Japan are made by Asahi or Nippon Safety.
Old 05-26-07, 12:20 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, Mine was only two weeks old before it started getting little mini chips. Its stupid how weak the windshields are on these cars! Oh and dont get me started on the paint!
Old 05-26-07, 01:42 PM
ToastedAzn
Rookie

Was on beltway headin home from the dealership and SPLAT,big rock in the middle of my windshield.Only 26 miles on the odo.It couldnt be repaired so the dealer had to order me a new one

2 weeks later POP! another one this time tryin to avoid a big rig hauling dirt,ended up behind a chevy hauling his freshly used quads.Small chip ended up a big long crack before i could get it repaired.Gaaa how i hate I-10.

If Lexus would give me the option to use Lexan,I"ll buy in a heartbeat
Old 05-26-07, 02:09 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ToastedAzn
.Gaaa how i hate I-10.p
I live in The Woodlands, Texas. Harris and Montgomery Counties have to have the worst drivers in the entire United States!

Old Oiler
Old 05-26-07, 10:01 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SParker1tx
I live in Houston, TX Also and I have gone almost a whole year now without a single scratch, knock on wood!! However, my old ES got smashed after a little over a year of driving it with a nice big ol rock chip >.<
Houston is 18 wheeler city! I have had one pebble hit my roof already, and needed some touchup paint to fix it (car is now 5 weeks old).

Avoid I-10 at all costs. I take Beltway 8 and gladly pay extra tolls to keep my car free of rock chips.
Old 05-26-07, 10:05 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Old Oiler
I live in The Woodlands, Texas. Harris and Montgomery Counties have to have the worst drivers in the entire United States!

Old Oiler
Brazoria county isn't any better. Houston has the most careless drivers around. In 5 weeks since buying my IS, I've dodged everything including rocks, pebbles, flying beer cans, flying bottles, and split tires on the highway.
Old 05-26-07, 11:27 PM
Tropheus
Driver School Candidate

Just had my windshield replaced. Rock chip then crack from 18-wheeler. I HATE them. They always drive on the very left lane blocking everyone.
Old 05-27-07, 12:23 AM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Houston is pretty bad with all the diesels, i work in La Porte and unfortunately have to drive by Barbours Cut. the rock that hit my windshield this time came from an SUV when i was getting on 610. it didn't seem like it hit the windshield very hard but from my previous experiences if a rock hits your windshield anywhere within 5 inches of the windshield wipers them get ready to buy a new windshiled, because it seems as someone has already said, the angle of the windshield will cause it to weaken and boy will the crack spread!

By the way, In my 250 I had a horrible rock chip dead in the center of my hood, not taking any chances on my 350 I purchased a clear bra. it helps a lot although i still have two minor chips right at the edge of my hood where the clear bra stops. I guess that comes with getting the Black Sapphire, at least with my Tungsten Pearl 250 things weren't that noticeable.

BTW WHAT IS LEXAN
Old 05-27-07, 12:42 AM
ToastedAzn
Rookie

http://www.answers.com/topic/lexan

Its too costly to be used as an automotive windshield,but I can dream
Old 05-27-07, 12:46 AM
edwardll
Driver

Maybe it its not the windshield glass... The problem is Texas.. :-p

lol, ya have the " rocks, pebbles, flying beer cans, flying bottles, and split tires "(TX) we have pot holes 1-3 feet high... (NYC):-p
Old 05-27-07, 12:52 AM
ToastedAzn
Rookie

I use Lexan on my long range fishing boat outa Galveston.
Watched a half inch stainless steel outrigger cable snapp and come around full tilt at the wheel house windows.Didnt do nothing but leave a scratch that we later buffed out.

If it was just reguler commercial grade glass,I most likely be seriously injured or dead
Old 05-27-07, 12:56 AM
ToastedAzn
Rookie

Originally Posted by edwardll
Maybe it its not the windshield glass... The problem is Texas.. :-p

lol, ya have the " rocks, pebbles, flying beer cans, flying bottles, and split tires "(TX) we have pot holes 1-3 feet high... (NYC):-p
I think you might be on to something LOL

Quick Reply: Windshield Cracked for the THIRD TIME!!!!