IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New IS owner question. Please HELP

Old 05-19-07, 11:35 AM
cfdeng3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New IS owner question. Please HELP

I have got a question about my new 2007 Lexus IS 250awd. Hopefully you guys can help me out. Question is: In the winter time I like to start my car and let it warm up before I get in it. What’s to stop a thief from getting into my car running in my driveway and just driving away, even if I have the key fob with me? The dealer told me that the car would die after a ¼ mile of not seeing the key fob, I didn’t like that answer cause all they need is a couple of feet and they can run it into a tree or pull it onto a flatbed. Anyway last night I thought that I would try out and see what happens. I started my car as normal, went into the house, put the key fob on the table. Went back outside to my running car and got in and drove it away, I went 2 miles from my house with no issues just some warning light that says something about not seeing the key, what’s the deal. Is lexus that retarded that they didn’t think of this. Is my car missing something? I’d like to leave my car running and not worry about someone taking it from my driveway, you can’t even lock the doors while the car is running with the remote. Any suggestions??? Thanks for the help.
Old 05-19-07, 11:39 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Congratulations......you've discovered that the car can be driven until a) the crook runs out of gas, or b) he shuts off the engine, whichever occurs first! This has been discussed previously so you might want to do a search. There is no real reason to warm up your engine before driving it off. It doesn't help the engine in any way. And if it is just a convenience for you, well, it's just a waste of gas and it might be something you might want to rethink just from that standpoint. You know, the Al Gore and Global Warming thing
Old 05-19-07, 11:39 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

yea, put a skunk in your driver seat.

or barbra streisand.

Maybe using the Autolock? (kinda like the Club for your steering wheel but it locks your brake pedal)

otherwise, good luck chasing your car!

Another one would be LoJack.

If they steal it, report it and have it back in minutes =)

LoJack also has a system where, if the car moves without the key in it, then you get alerted thru your key fob.

then you can alert the authorities with your phone
Old 05-19-07, 11:42 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I know.

AutoLock.

Lock your brake pedal.

Virtually impossible for them to drive it off with that thing in the middle locking up the brakes.
Old 05-19-07, 11:44 AM
cfdeng3
Driver School Candidate

I just like to get into a warm car and heated seats in the winter. Call me spoiled but when it's zero degrees out it's nice to have everything warmed up ready for you. I can't believe that Lexus hasn't thought of this.
Old 05-19-07, 11:49 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They have. Just not in the US for some reason...

Japanese cars have remote start built into the key fob.
Old 05-19-07, 11:50 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

They think Americans don't warm up their cars, I guess

just sit in your car while it's warming up.

if it's 0 degrees, you should be bundled up anyway
Old 05-19-07, 11:57 AM
cfdeng3
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the quick replies. With the exception of this, I love this car so far. I'll just take my chances , hey that's what they have insurance for right.
Old 05-19-07, 01:10 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea kinda sucks, but it is what it is...
Old 05-19-07, 01:22 PM
SpookJr
Rookie

Originally Posted by cfdeng3
I have got a question about my new 2007 Lexus IS 250awd. Hopefully you guys can help me out. Question is: In the winter time I like to start my car and let it warm up before I get in it. What’s to stop a thief from getting into my car running in my driveway and just driving away, even if I have the key fob with me? The dealer told me that the car would die after a ¼ mile of not seeing the key fob, I didn’t like that answer cause all they need is a couple of feet and they can run it into a tree or pull it onto a flatbed. Anyway last night I thought that I would try out and see what happens. I started my car as normal, went into the house, put the key fob on the table. Went back outside to my running car and got in and drove it away, I went 2 miles from my house with no issues just some warning light that says something about not seeing the key, what’s the deal. Is lexus that retarded that they didn’t think of this. Is my car missing something? I’d like to leave my car running and not worry about someone taking it from my driveway, you can’t even lock the doors while the car is running with the remote. Any suggestions??? Thanks for the help.
These type of questions are borderline retarded. I mean what difference does it make when your warming up a car whether its the lexus or a regular car. If your warming up a regular car the "key" is in the ignition so can't the thief steal your car just the same???? use common sense. "if you leave the car running with unlock doors someone could drive off with it" period. either watch it when its warming up or stay in the car if your afraid. GEEZ
Old 05-19-07, 01:24 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpookJr
These type of questions are borderline retarded. I mean what difference does it make when your warming up a car whether its the lexus or a regular car. If your warming up a regular car the "key" is in the ignition so can't the thief steal your car just the same???? use common sense. "if you leave the car running with unlock doors someone could drive off with it" period. either watch it when its warming up or stay in the car if your afraid. GEEZ
LOL yep, pretty much.
Old 05-19-07, 01:26 PM
LEXAI
Driver School Candidate

why have you not tried this?

im not sure if it will work as if the key is INSIDE the car, the sensors should be disabled...

1) leave key inside car, start car, let warm up, lock door with key inside car, walk way

2) use second smart key to unlock door when necessary...

worth a shot, no?
Old 05-19-07, 01:39 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cfdeng3

never trust what the sales guy tell you.......
Old 05-19-07, 04:58 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LEXAI
why have you not tried this?

im not sure if it will work as if the key is INSIDE the car, the sensors should be disabled...

1) leave key inside car, start car, let warm up, lock door with key inside car, walk way

2) use second smart key to unlock door when necessary...

worth a shot, no?
No. Because you'd have to climb out the window or the moonroof to leave it locked.
Old 05-19-07, 05:03 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SpookJr
His question was not in the least "retarded"! His whole point was to ask if there were some kind of work-around in order to lock the car, or protect it from theft somehow. No question is stupid, if you don't know the answer.

Last edited by CWS; 05-19-07 at 05:35 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New IS owner question. Please HELP