IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help with IPOD cable

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-07, 02:51 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by anitabj
yoyoyo....i used a 3 to 1 outlet cigarette so that my belkin ipod line out cord would fit in my compartment....with this i can hook up my cell phone....

this is pic of just one cord coming out of that compartment....its line out so i dont have to deal with volume on my pod

all cost me less than 20 buckaroos

interesting setup. looks rather bulky. i was wondering if you can close your arm rest fully with the cord sticking out like that without any damage to the cord?
Old 05-16-07, 03:07 PM
totoro1224
Driver

Originally Posted by IS_5SPD
Does this allow you to control the IPOD via the nav screen, view song titles, etc? If not, what setup would? How hard to install? Thanx.
No, you won't able to control it with the OEM system unless you go with company such as Dice or simialr which insert a module in between your harness behind your center console. Otherwise, all the other product you see will have to control directly on your ipod. The cable that I am using now is a little different than the one you see on first page since mine has +, - & 3 RCA jacks; 2 for audio, and 1 for video since I am using it with my Ipod Video to play movies.
Old 05-16-07, 03:32 PM
anitabj
Driver

bulky yes....but hides away nicely..and it closes down fully..but doesnt slide shut all the way.....everytime i exit my car i just throw it in the console and im good to go....i think its the best set up out there for aux ipod connection.....but yeah i will be getting the ECLIPSE AVN5510 install next week with built in ipod integration....woot woot
Old 05-16-07, 03:37 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
You know you can take that little cup holder divider out right? You might like how it kinda holds the ipod up so you can grab it, but just so you know in case you wanted it to lay flat it just pulls right out.
Old 05-16-07, 05:12 PM
IS_5SPD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by totoro1224
No, you won't able to control it with the OEM system unless you go with company such as Dice or simialr which insert a module in between your harness behind your center console. Otherwise, all the other product you see will have to control directly on your ipod. The cable that I am using now is a little different than the one you see on first page since mine has +, - & 3 RCA jacks; 2 for audio, and 1 for video since I am using it with my Ipod Video to play movies.
Thanks for the feedback. And Buds...thanks for the link.
Old 05-16-07, 06:22 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bdoggie28
Can someone recommend where I should go to find a cable to hook up my ipod in my IS250? I've been everywhere and can't seem to find the right one. I have the aux hook up in the car, just can't find the cable.
Go to Best Buy and tell them that you have an Aux hook up in your car and you want to connect an Ipod.

They will go towards some back wall of the store and give you a $4 cable. I see others mention some more expensive setups. Save the money, because if the volume is loud like mine, it doesn't make a noticeable difference.

If you want to spend some money, go with a gold-tipped monster cable.
Old 05-16-07, 07:58 PM
ClueByFour
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS250 4 Me
Go to Best Buy and tell them that you have an Aux hook up in your car and you want to connect an Ipod.

They will go towards some back wall of the store and give you a $4 cable. I see others mention some more expensive setups. Save the money, because if the volume is loud like mine, it doesn't make a noticeable difference.

If you want to spend some money, go with a gold-tipped monster cable.
I trust you jest.

You really want something that feeds a line output and not the headphone output of the IPOD. You will notice a difference in the sound quality.

Further, if you have any notion of charging the thing in the car, you will need a GLI. Or you will encounter ground loop noise in the form of an incessant whine.
Old 05-17-07, 12:07 AM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ClueByFour
I trust you jest.

You really want something that feeds a line output and not the headphone output of the IPOD. You will notice a difference in the sound quality.

Further, if you have any notion of charging the thing in the car, you will need a GLI. Or you will encounter ground loop noise in the form of an incessant whine.
I do somewhat jest. It depends on what the Ipod is worth to you. I do notice a noise when I speed up and slow down. However, I also know that my alternative is to burn my Ipod music to CDs and put them in the playa.

My opinion is that the Ipod hookup is useless without integration into the nav screen. Since this is the case, I prefer CDs with my music. Easy music navigation with titles, and no Ipod screen to fool with.
Old 05-17-07, 07:28 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

I do somewhat jest. It depends on what the Ipod is worth to you. I do notice a noise when I speed up and slow down. However, I also know that my alternative is to burn my Ipod music to CDs and put them in the playa.

My opinion is that the Ipod hookup is useless without integration into the nav screen. Since this is the case, I prefer CDs with my music. Easy music navigation with titles, and no Ipod screen to fool with.
Yea that pretty much what I have moved to also. Even taking the line out output from the ipod doesnt sound nearly as good as the same mp3s burned to a CD-R and played in the CD player. The only two big problems I have is 1) the random song feature sucks! If I want to go to the next song I want to go to a new randomly selected song, not the next file name song. 2) CDs simply do NOT hold enough music. I like to have all my music with me so I feel less restricted with what I can listen to and 700MB is just not enough. It nice having all 12GB of my music with me at all times like I can on the iPod. I cant wait till they start putting hard drives in cars so we can hack em and put bigger ones and then have tons of music on them!
Old 05-17-07, 07:37 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

I've connected my iPod via both the headphone jack and the line level output and I must say the difference is HUGE.

When connecting my iPod via the headphone jack I would have to turn the volume on the iPod all the way up and the volume on my stereo to 40+ just to hear the song at a comfortable level... if I wanted to listen to it loud well I'd have to crank up the volume even more.

With the line-out connection I can turn the volume on my iPod all the way down (saving battery life) and turn the volume on my stereo to the 20s to hear the songs comfortably. There's a reason why all of those "iPod Stereos" connect via the line-out plug... the quality is so much better.
Old 05-17-07, 03:40 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ben_r_
I cant wait till they start putting hard drives in cars so we can hack em and put bigger ones and then have tons of music on them!
The new G35 has a hard drive that automatically rips your CDs and stores them. The one feature that I would love to have in my Lex. I think the new LS has the hard drive.

I would also love to have the real time traffic information. It makes a huge difference in Houston when your nav can guide you to another route to get you somewhere quick.
Old 05-18-07, 05:46 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

The new G35 has a hard drive that automatically rips your CDs and stores them. The one feature that I would love to have in my Lex. I think the new LS has the hard drive.

I would also love to have the real time traffic information. It makes a huge difference in Houston when your nav can guide you to another route to get you somewhere quick.
my IS has this feature, very useful.
It also gets artist/songs/album name from G-LINK (database?).
Old 02-28-11, 09:41 AM
vital
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

does anyone know if the sik ram din is compatible with the 30gb iphone 3gs? any solutions for iphones if not?

Last edited by vital; 02-28-11 at 10:10 AM.