IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Age question on who lowers there IS or wants to ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-07, 09:12 PM
TheLexSter
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Age question on who lowers there IS or wants to ?

I love the way they look, and it is starting to grow on me, but now at my humble age of 47, would not consider it. May change my mind in a couple months??? Just not sure.
Anyway just curious if it's just my age group, or maybe it's because the IS is my 1st car after many years in trucks & I always lifted em
If you could post age and your preference on lowering the IS! Thanks!
Old 04-25-07, 09:15 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I too love the way a lowered IS looks, but have no plans on lowerng it. I'm concerend about ride quality as well as bottoming out and rubbing.
Old 04-25-07, 09:21 PM
joonsta
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 18, and I plan on lowering.

I don't think lowering is for a certain age though, unless you're lowering so aggressive to the point of reaching negative camber.

I think the negative camber look is reserved for the younglings .

But anyways, look at real sports cars like Ferraris, they are pretty damn low to the ground...and yet most of their drivers are older people.

I know that the IS is no sports car, but a tad bit of dropping to get that sweet even wheel gap in the front and back will look good no matter how old you are.
Old 04-25-07, 09:33 PM
zoomtt
Rookie

36 here. All my cars are lowered or have been. Except the X5 right now
Old 04-25-07, 09:58 PM
andone
Lead Lap

24 here and I am not planning to lower my car. The reason for this is because I live in the NYC area and the pot holes here are huge.
Old 04-25-07, 10:33 PM
AZ IS350
Pole Position

I'll be 39 in a few weeks. My 350 is the first car I've ever had that was lowered. I probably would never have done it if I hadn't been inspired by all the lowered rides I see on CL. It really improves the look. I was worried about degrading the ride quality so I went with the closest to stock rated springs (h-techs) and hardly notice a difference. No regrets at all.

I wouldn't slam it because that seems like the kid thing to do and just invites problems with rubbing, bottoming out, etc.
Old 04-25-07, 10:53 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Been driving SUVs for the last 8 yrs due to a bad car accident. This is my first car since the accident. 42 next month. Reason for lowering? This car looks alot better without the wheel gap, handles better and it has an aggressive stance. A bit stiff but not as bad as my son's 240SX. NO regrets at all. Even my friend who drives a 645 convertible fell in love with my car's lower and sporty look.
Old 04-25-07, 10:58 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

haha, dont worry about such a thing. stick it to the man, lower your car and know that you do what you like. at 47 you are the wiseman of clublexus. you should be tellin us what to do and not vice versa.
Old 04-26-07, 07:21 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ron_is350
haha, dont worry about such a thing. stick it to the man, lower your car and know that you do what you like. at 47 you are the wiseman of clublexus. you should be tellin us what to do and not vice versa.
Amen to that! 24 here, would like to lower for the look and handling, but this is a vehicle I intend to flip as soon as its out of warranty and I have heard that lowering can cause the shocks to wear out fast on these cars so since I know I will be getting rid of it around the time the shocks might go out Im just leaving it alone for now as I really dont want to do anything that might affect the resale value (like it needing new shocks that I dont want to pay for to replace in a car im trying to sell when the time comes). Kinda sux though, Id love to get that eibach kit on there...
Old 04-26-07, 08:36 AM
edwin907
Driver

Wow, you're mostly a bunch of youngsters.
I'm 51 and the only vehicles I haven't modified for improved performance are the ones I didn't buy.
All the cars have been lowered mainly for improved performance, all the 4WD trucks have been raised to increase ground clearance.
Everyone back in the 70's though I was crazy for lowering musclecars and working the fenders to get a decent sized tire under there. Everybody else was going to air shocks to put the 50's on Cragars under the rear, then raising the front to get a semi balanced look. Of couse they were following the hot rod customs and I was following the Trans-Am cars.

My IS350 has about 1700 miles on it, and I'm going to wait another 1000 miles or so to make sure everythings good, then the JIC coilovers sitting here are going on.
Old 04-26-07, 09:02 AM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

32 here. want to as soon as I have enough money for the coil over.
Old 04-26-07, 10:02 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

For me, I never cared for lowering (or modding in general), regardless how old I was. I bought the car to avoid potential mechanical problems and would not want to do anything to increase that risk for what I consider minimal gain. I am fine with the comfort/sport balance of the car, and don't really stand around my car enough to have people bother commenting on its appearance, so appearance mods are not important to me.

My philosophy on modding has always been to use the money to get a better overall car instead.

(and where would you put all those extra parts in your house?!? My friend has an entire stock bumper for his Prelude stacked up in his garage for the past 6 years...)
Old 04-26-07, 10:21 AM
davidbenji
Pole Position

I am 28 and definitely plan to lower it. Nothing too agressive but enought to clean up the fender gap. I doubt ride quality will suffer much so it will be more than worth it to me for the imporved handling.
Old 04-26-07, 10:34 AM
SonnyIs350
Pole Position

43 here and will lower the car as many in the past. Just love the raked sporty look and the way it handles. JMO Kinda up in the air i've looked a several and will probably go with tein stech. Any inpute?
Old 04-26-07, 10:41 AM
iizzle3fiz
Driver School Candidate

im 30...and can't wait to lower my IS. im only going for an inch or so, nothing really aggressive.

Quick Reply: Age question on who lowers there IS or wants to ?