IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Hybrid Is?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-07, 05:33 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Hybrid Is?

The Hybrid GS450 dumbfounded me yesterday. I didnt reaslised it and ignored the owner when he said "it's like the PRIUS", that's Toyota PRIUS.

Anyway i got in and couldnt start the car, i was freaking waiting for the engine to start . All th elights came on but i just couldnt hear nothing

After another attempt i realise that it had already started, freaking Hybrid technology

I would so want a Hybrid Is. Anyone know if one is on it's way?
Old 04-23-07, 06:27 PM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Last i heard, lexus was going to release 3 more models soon. It could be hybrid versions of the ES and IS and another crossover vehicle. I cant remember where i read it from.
Old 04-23-07, 07:37 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An IS450h Sportcross would be cool.
I so don't want to see 400lbs added to an IS sedans curb weight

Last edited by MR_F1; 04-23-07 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-23-07, 07:43 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

i highly doubt an IS hybrid is one the way. There are already too many variations of the model: 250, 250 awd, 350 and then the new IS-F

i think if there were going to be hybrids added in, it would be in the ES350, SC460 (coming up) and the new RX coming out next year
Old 04-23-07, 07:55 PM
joonsta
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read an article someone put up on these forums about Lexus making all their models (IS, ES, GS, LS, RX, etc.) have a hybrid model sometime in the near future.

If Lexus incorporates an hybrid IS in the next gen IS, count me in!
Old 04-23-07, 07:59 PM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hybrid is going to be a big selling point for any car so if Lexus wanna sell big then Hybrid IS is a way to go...
Old 04-23-07, 08:03 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joonsta
I read an article someone put up on these forums about Lexus making all their models (IS, ES, GS, LS, RX, etc.) have a hybrid model sometime in the near future.

If Lexus incorporates an hybrid IS in the next gen IS, count me in!
yea i read that article too ... i just looked for it and coulnt find it tho ... it was about Britian making some rule about % hybrids by 2012 or something
Old 04-23-07, 08:22 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Big problems with the IS as a hybrid:

1) Not enough room for the batteries. Trunk would be minimal at best.

2) The IS is more performance oriented. Making the IS even heavier would be counter-intuitive.

3) You want more gas-efficiency? Get the IS250. You want more power? Get the IS-F.

Of all the Lexus models, the IS is the least likely to get a hybrid variant. I would expect the ES to be the next vehicle made available as a hybrid...
Old 04-23-07, 08:28 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I would expect the ES to be the next vehicle made available as a hybrid...
they already have one. its called the Camry
Old 04-23-07, 08:46 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by RXSF
they already have one. its called the Camry
Yeah, but one with more than 187 hp.

Lexus hybrids equal more power, not better gas efficiency. That's what Toyota is for...
Old 04-23-07, 08:57 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Big problems with the IS as a hybrid:

1) Not enough room for the batteries. Trunk would be minimal at best.

2) The IS is more performance oriented. Making the IS even heavier would be counter-intuitive.

3) You want more gas-efficiency? Get the IS250. You want more power? Get the IS-F.

Of all the Lexus models, the IS is the least likely to get a hybrid variant. I would expect the ES to be the next vehicle made available as a hybrid...
1) Who knows that the 3rd gen IS would look like but Hybrid in the entry model Lexus (aka Is) should be there. I don't think room would be a problem if they work around it, but then again there might be a change in design you never know.

2) see point 1 and add some changes to weight issue to it.

3) Lexus is more about class and luxury than performance. if i want a performance car i'd not buy a Lexus.
Old 04-23-07, 09:01 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah i drove this girls hybrid last week. you press the button and you dont hear anything, but you can still drive it...ill stick to hearing my sweet exhaust and crank.
Old 04-23-07, 09:06 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
maybe make the next gen 250 a hybrid? you could have like IS250 AWD & IS250h RWD
Old 04-23-07, 09:50 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by ldc
1) Who knows that the 3rd gen IS would look like but Hybrid in the entry model Lexus (aka Is) should be there. I don't think room would be a problem if they work around it, but then again there might be a change in design you never know.

2) see point 1 and add some changes to weight issue to it.

3) Lexus is more about class and luxury than performance. if i want a performance car i'd not buy a Lexus.
It would be interesting to see how the IS will evolve in design.

There are rumors of a coupe (which will most likely mean smaller interior space), and no word yet of a cross-sport, such as found on the first gen IS. A cross-sport would be more beneficial in terms of space, but I think it would have to be radically designed. There is a rumor in regard to developing a crossover smaller than the RX, so an "IX" crossover may be a possibility.

Weight issues with a hybrid can be addressed with Lithium batteries, in which is currently being developed. Very hush hush, and will most likely be introduced with the third gen (2009?) Prius, then the LS hybrid (it currently is more than 5200 lbs!!!), then other models in the Toyota/Lexus line-up.

As for luxury and performance, I can understand your reasons for buying Lexus. I bought my IS over the 3-Series or G35 because it had the most luxury (and the least performance) of the three. However, that doesn't mean the IS should be less performance oriented. If the line between the IS350 (performance oriented entry level sedan) and ES350 (comfort oriented entry level sedan) are blurred, sales of the IS will quickly diminish. And we definately don't want that...
Old 04-24-07, 03:22 AM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

So the Is is gonna get a makeover in 2009?, i would think at the end of 2009 as that would make the 2IS 4 years old. I thought 5 years would have been the min before a change??

There are plenty of ways to reduce weight of a car, one beung using less weight materials but with the level of electronics it'll be hard i think. I wouldnt want it to be overweight or be light if it means to reduce features (the more features the better for me).

I hope Lexus makes an Is coupe, an Is coupe will strongly rival the 3 series coupe or beat it i recon.

Quick Reply: Hybrid Is?