IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Illuminated Scuff plates ..... discoloring !!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-07, 10:00 AM
caudlek
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Illuminated Scuff plates ..... discoloring !!

Illuminated Scuff plates ..... discoloring !!

After just one winter the road salt seems to be taking its toll …. Anyone else seeing the same? Tried a damp cloth, then Windex ….. not even a slight improvement.

Will try and get a better PIC today .... lots of glare bouncing back.

KC

Old 04-23-07, 10:22 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i left the clear film that came from factory on it...
Old 04-23-07, 10:23 AM
caudlek
Driver

Here are some more accurate PIC's from different angles!

KC

Old 04-23-07, 10:27 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aw man!!! Im so sorry! And very thankful that it doesnt snow here! If nothing else can be done, I know lexus-parts.com sells new ones for $199 shipped after our CL 10% discount. Maybe try some (I know it sounds like a terrible idea, but they are messed up now anyway) very light grit sand paper or liquid polish...
Old 04-23-07, 10:41 AM
caudlek
Driver

Originally Posted by ben_r_
Aw man!!! Im so sorry! And very thankful that it doesnt snow here! If nothing else can be done, I know lexus-parts.com sells new ones for $199 shipped after our CL 10% discount. Maybe try some (I know it sounds like a terrible idea, but they are messed up now anyway) very light grit sand paper or liquid polish...
To be honest I expect Lexus to replace them for NC ...... the next time i'm in. I also have a loose foglamp on the passenger side ..... will get that fixed as well.

KC

Last edited by caudlek; 04-23-07 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-23-07, 11:19 AM
isam250
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

the light is still looking okay right? just that the aluminum is messd up?
Old 04-23-07, 12:04 PM
caudlek
Driver

Originally Posted by IS2506spd
the light is still looking okay right? just that the aluminum is messd up?
Light is fine.

KC
Old 04-23-07, 12:13 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Return them, they are a factory part, they have to have some warrenty! they cost enough geez they should look so poor after one winter. Imagine what they will look like after next winter.
Old 04-23-07, 12:31 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Dang, thatd be cool if they replaced them, I added mine and got them from lexus-parts.com so I dont think lexus would cover them....
Old 04-23-07, 12:34 PM
nabisco
Lead Lap

Lexus should replace them no charge!
Old 04-23-07, 12:39 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

mine look the same as well! i thought they looked discolored only because they were in sunlight because when it is dark, they light up perfectly...and I too kept the original plastic film on and never took it off......at Lexus-Parts, the picture is simliar so I don't think something is wrong it may just look discolored because of the sunlight

Old 04-23-07, 01:28 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Wait... how are these things getting so much sunlight? Do you guys leave your car doors open for long periods of time? Tell me I didnt just make a mistake buying these things to have them discolor on me in the near future! If they do Im going to sand em down a bit and paint them black like the should have been in the first place!
Old 04-23-07, 02:44 PM
caudlek
Driver

Originally Posted by iskcon
mine look the same as well! i thought they looked discolored only because they were in sunlight because when it is dark, they light up perfectly....]
No, its not sunlight damage ,,,, doesn’t get any really. It doesn’t even appear to be on the surface ,,,,, looks like moisture trapped underneath. I don’t think I have a plastic membrane over mine though I will look closer.

KC
Old 04-23-07, 06:34 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by caudlek
No, its not sunlight damage ,,,, doesn’t get any really. It doesn’t even appear to be on the surface ,,,,, looks like moisture trapped underneath. I don’t think I have a plastic membrane over mine though I will look closer.

KC
when i meant when I said they were in sunlight was that it looks discolored because there is a lot of light (glare) shining on the scuff plates....otherwise if you were to look at them in lets say a dark place (like the garage) you wouldn't say they were discolored...and look at the picture I posted earlier from Lexus-Parts.....they too look discolored but when it is dark and they light up perfectly
Old 04-23-07, 06:38 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ben_r_
Wait... how are these things getting so much sunlight? Do you guys leave your car doors open for long periods of time? Tell me I didnt just make a mistake buying these things to have them discolor on me in the near future! If they do Im going to sand em down a bit and paint them black like the should have been in the first place!
No, I never leave my door open. If I do open my door, its to either get out or get in. And my car sits in my garage so you can rule out the possiblity that perhaps the sun or something outside causes the discoloration

And to answer your other question.....BUY THEM!.....they look amazing on the car......also, what are you talking about when you say you want to paint them black?...the "Lexus" symbol on the scuff plates is blue

Quick Reply: Illuminated Scuff plates ..... discoloring !!