IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Something that LEXUS should have thought of!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-07, 06:28 PM
Burst32
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something that LEXUS should have thought of!!!

Have any of you noticed that if your car is turned on, anyone can hop in and drive it? You would think that a person would have to have the key in their pocket and in the car for them to put it in gear. I think that is dumb, and Lexus should of made a type of fail-safe that if you turned your car on, then say ran back into your apartment building for a second, that someone could not just hop in and drive it away without the key. What do ya'll think?

Or you could just turn your car off haha. But still..........

EDIT:

After further review of everyone's comments. I think that you should be able to start the car, then be able to lock it with the car still turned on (basically to warm up the car in the winter for all of the midwest folk here...haha...) that would be awesome. But unfortunately that is not an option.

Last edited by Burst32; 04-21-07 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-21-07, 06:32 PM
nabisco
Lead Lap

I agree. I remember a thread about this a while ago
Old 04-21-07, 06:32 PM
9520G
Lead Lap

I beleive this was discussed before and the reason it is that way is for certain safety reasons though I forget which ones.
Old 04-21-07, 06:37 PM
wushuboy
Driver

If you do something like that you deserve to get it stolen. This could happen with cars that require keys too. i mean cmon.. all u have to do is press a button.
Old 04-21-07, 06:45 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What they should have done is if you walk away from the car while its running it should turn itself off and lock the doors! Imagine how convienent that would have been! And then require the vehicle be in Park before starting it again.
Old 04-21-07, 06:57 PM
mort
Lead Lap

If you leave you car running to go into your apartment, then what the F....!!!!
Old 04-21-07, 07:02 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mort
If you leave you car running to go into your apartment, then what the F....!!!!
true... true...
Old 04-21-07, 07:02 PM
junes IS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ben_r_
What they should have done is if you walk away from the car while its running it should turn itself off and lock the doors! Imagine how convienent that would have been! And then require the vehicle be in Park before starting it again.
You can say that again. For the money we paid for the car it should pick our butts up........ Kit where are you.
Old 04-21-07, 07:19 PM
wushuboy
Driver

i want super pursuit mode and turbo boost
Old 04-21-07, 07:38 PM
hihi410
Lead Lap

Doesn't the car beep if you walk away with key in your pocket? That should be enough warning for most common sense people.

And I agree, if you are not smart to turn off your car when walking away, you deserve to get your car taken for a joy ride.
Old 04-21-07, 07:50 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Obvious reasons that the car stays on, once on:

1. If you have your dog in the car on a 90 degree day and run into the quick mart to grab something, do you want to come back to a dead dog in a locked car?

2. How well do you think this would work with the guys exploring remote start?? It would really suck to have the car shut down after xx seconds because a keyfob isn't around.

3. I like the ability to let my car cool down/warm up while it's in my garage running, depending on the weather. I'd rather not throw the keyfob in the car to let this happen.

4. Imagine a scenario where your keyfob battery dies. Draw your own conclusions.
Old 04-21-07, 07:55 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Like all cars it comes down to owners responsibilities. If someone is stupid enough to leave the car unlocked and running while going back into a house then nothing will prvent the car from being driven away especially if you live in a dodgy neighbourhood.

But then again it depends on the car too, it's not like the Is is a Rex so the thieft rate wouldnt be as high i don't think.
Old 04-21-07, 07:57 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Burst32
Have any of you noticed that if your car is turned on, anyone can hop in and drive it? You would think that a person would have to have the key in their pocket and in the car for them to put it in gear. I think that is dumb, and Lexus should of made a type of fail-safe that if you turned your car on, then say ran back into your apartment building for a second, that someone could not just hop in and drive it away without the key. What do ya'll think?

Or you could just turn your car off haha. But still..........
First of all, Lexus thought of it. I'm sure of it. 100% absolutely positive that Lexus thought of it. So you're wrong there.

Second, they decided against it. And against you. And the few other people who think this is a good idea. Because it's a bad idea. Clearly they thought so too, just look at the way it came out, they didn't implement it.

I'm glad you don't design vehicles, the way you described it is NOT the way the car should work, no way in heck, and I'm glad it doesn't work that way and if it did I wouldn't buy it.

Look, our car is just like any other car. If you leave it running, it could be stolen. Any car. It just doesn't make sense that a car that is running cannot be driven, for whatever reason. Imagine if your car loses contact with the key or someone runs off with your key like the passenger with the key in his pocket gets out and walks away, where does that leave you the driver behind the wheel of a running car, with a disabled car? That's nonsense.

You haven't thought this out, you haven't thought it thru, all you want is COOL, but it doesn't work that way....thankful Lexus is thinking of the Lexus driver. Can the current system be improved? Sure. But the things you describe theft related isn't even up for consideration because we don't have these problems, it's not unique to our car; a Lexus more prone to theft just because it has keyless entry. A car is safety first, convenience second, and extra theft-proof a distant last.
Old 04-21-07, 08:12 PM
RLL
Driver School Candidate

In the city where I live, if you leave your car running while unattended, even in your own driveway, you are subject to a fine.
Old 04-21-07, 08:14 PM
Xelvic
Driver

I think it would be a great idea. I live in tucson where it hits 110+ degrees in the summer. I have a 10 month old and I like to get the car cool before I put him in it. I turn my car on for about 5 minutes to let it cool down. It would be nice for the added sense of security if I could lock it when I go back inside. I also would like a remote start so I would not even have to go outside in the first place. Imagine, you are getting you son ready to leave and you remote start your car, and by the time you walk out its nice and cool. Come on guys, whats wrong with that? I know that I won't get all that but I wish I could at least lock the car while its running.

Last edited by Xelvic; 04-21-07 at 08:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Something that LEXUS should have thought of!!!