IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Unhappy IS350 owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-07, 04:43 PM
jdIS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unhappy IS350 owner

First post here, but I've been lurking around for months.

Anyway, I've had my 2006 IS350 (red, luxury pkg) since August, and have finally come to the conclusion that I don't like the car, and doubt I will be getting another Lexus. Just for the info, the car I last had was a 1999 BMW 540i.

Anyway, my beefs:

1. After 10k miles, I still can't find a comfortable seating position. I'm 6'1", and the seat just doesn't fit me well. Feels like the steering wheel needs to come out a little further, and the seat should be a little lower. I prefer to look out the "middle" of the windshield, and when driving, I seem to be too high up, looking out the upper portion of the windshield (cuts off your view)

2. Stupid tire sensors. This point has been belabored in the past in other posts, so I won't go on at great length. Suffice it to say that I've been driving around since Dec. with the damn warning light on.

3. Horrible traction computer, especially in snow setting. Now I'm gonna compare against the BMW. The bimmer's computer was way more adaptive and intelligent. Not once in 6 years of owning the 540i did the traction let me down. Now with the IS, in the snow setting, when going through deep snow, the computer shuts down the revs so low (max 1000 rpm) that you can't get any forward momentum. I have to turn the trac off just to get going--which defeats the purpose of traction control.

4. Horrible low-beam headlight pattern. Too abrupt cutoff, actually dangerous when driving in the country--you can't see down the road. Highbeams are excellent. Again, BMW wins hands down, my old 540 had the best xenon low beams I have ever seen.

5. Poor low end torque. I guess there's no replacement for displacement. The bimmers 4.4L had less HP but way better low end grunt. I'm still not used to the higher revving, lower torque V6 in the IS--which I understand is typical of Japanese engines.

6. Voice commands--now I speak neutral-accent English, and the computer still misses alot of commands. Plus, (besides this forum) why doesn't Lexus publish a list of all the commands. Pointless to have this expensive gadget if I don't know all the functions.

7. Nav. Seen better units in Acura. Again, why the need to "hack" to be able to enter adressess while moving?

8. Stupid features--radio on, some stations display a message (track, artist, etc.) Naturally, Lexus instead displays a large message that it can't display the message while moving. (Department of redundancy department )

9. The extra delayed wipe when using the windshield washer. Basically smears my otherwise clean windshield. Can this be turned off?

10. Doors lock automatically when I press the key fob. I'm walking to my car, arms full of stuff, and hit the fob to open the door. Car decides to lock the doors again, because I'm not fast enough. I unlocked the f'in door, stay unlocked!!

11. Manual translated poorly. After selling cars for 40(?) years in N.Amer, you think Toyota would finally stop writing English that has been poorly translated from Japanese--hire someone here that speaks English.

Anyway, I think I'm gonna trade her in, and take the hit.
Old 04-04-07, 04:51 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

lol, good luck mann. this is my first car so i don't have many complaints--i think what it was-was your reliance on features that your bmw had that the lexus doesn't. it could play both ways--you can go get a new bimmer and say, aw damn, i wish the nav was touchs screen. i think youre living off your bmw and you got used to how it was made. good luck with the new bimmer man
Old 04-04-07, 04:52 PM
lexudv
Pole Position

I totally agree with the seating problem. I am 6.0' and I can't find a comfortable position. Every time I drive home I get a burning pain on my upper back. I thought it was just all the stress from work, but I have borrowed different cars (honda civic, toyota tundra) just to see if I get the same pain, but it only happens in the IS. I don't know what it is about the seat that causes this. Even though I disagree with the other problems I do agree with this.

I don't want to trade in this car
Old 04-04-07, 04:59 PM
cancellino
Pole Position

I hear ya man, but your comparing apples to oranges. I am a huge BMW fan and love eurpoean cars (Owned two Audi's), there are pro's and con's to each side. My next car will be a BMW, that said - I still love my lexus and dollar for dollar the lexus (IMO) gives you more car. Sorry that you're not happy with it - Best of Luck
Old 04-04-07, 04:59 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

2. Every new car has this now, refill to the proper tire pressure
4. Why even use low beams if driving on a country road
10. Wont it be nice if you accidentally press the unlock and walk away it will auto lock so it wont stay unlocked and people wont make off with your stuff, even my 2000 prelude did this

Everyone has their preferences
Old 04-04-07, 05:03 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexudv
I totally agree with the seating problem. I am 6.0' and I can't find a comfortable position. Every time I drive home I get a burning pain on my upper back. I thought it was just all the stress from work, but I have borrowed different cars (honda civic, toyota tundra) just to see if I get the same pain, but it only happens in the IS. I don't know what it is about the seat that causes this. Even though I disagree with the other problems I do agree with this.

I don't want to trade in this car
Me too. That's my biggest complaint with the car, or any compact car. I just cant fit in the damn care comfortably. I am at 6' and 215lbs.

And that's the major factor to think about to or not to get IS-F. I love the car tho.
Old 04-04-07, 05:06 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Originally Posted by STIG
Me too. That's my biggest complaint with the car, or any compact car. I just cant fit in the damn care comfortably. I am at 6' and 215lbs.

And that's the major factor to think about to or not to get IS-F. I love the car tho.
damn, 3 other people with the seat probleem! im also 6' and my comfortable position is leaning to the right putting pressure on the armrest. go try!
Old 04-04-07, 05:12 PM
is250rulez
Rookie

If the seat bothers u that much? Why would u get an IS? why not GS at the first place? SOrry to say this but can u really tell by eye looking that IS is pretty small from the inside? Once again it is the mind momentum, because u were sitting in a not comfort seat, and as human, once u are not comfortable to sit in the car then you will not like anything at all. It is really your MIND PROCESSOR, man.
just my 2 cents !
Old 04-04-07, 05:12 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdIS350
First post here, but I've been lurking around for months.

Anyway, I've had my 2006 IS350 (red, luxury pkg) since August, and have finally come to the conclusion that I don't like the car, and doubt I will be getting another Lexus. Just for the info, the car I last had was a 1999 BMW 540i.

Anyway, my beefs:

1. After 10k miles, I still can't find a comfortable seating position. I'm 6'1", and the seat just doesn't fit me well. Feels like the steering wheel needs to come out a little further, and the seat should be a little lower. I prefer to look out the "middle" of the windshield, and when driving, I seem to be too high up, looking out the upper portion of the windshield (cuts off your view)

Personal choice.....we like what we like

2. Stupid tire sensors. This point has been belabored in the past in other posts, so I won't go on at great length. Suffice it to say that I've been driving around since Dec. with the damn warning light on.

Why? Use the button and set the tires: End of story

3. Horrible traction computer, especially in snow setting. Now I'm gonna compare against the BMW. The bimmer's computer was way more adaptive and intelligent. Not once in 6 years of owning the 540i did the traction let me down. Now with the IS, in the snow setting, when going through deep snow, the computer shuts down the revs so low (max 1000 rpm) that you can't get any forward momentum. I have to turn the trac off just to get going--which defeats the purpose of traction control.

NO comment...live in Southern California

4. Horrible low-beam headlight pattern. Too abrupt cutoff, actually dangerous when driving in the country--you can't see down the road. Highbeams are excellent. Again, BMW wins hands down, my old 540 had the best xenon low beams I have ever seen.

Completly agree with you. Had Lexus adjust my lights up one full turn (See manual for what I mean

5. Poor low end torque. I guess there's no replacement for displacement. The bimmers 4.4L had less HP but way better low end grunt. I'm still not used to the higher revving, lower torque V6 in the IS--which I understand is typical of Japanese engines.

The BMW is a V8!!!, The new M3 V8 has approx the same torque as the IS350 V6

6. Voice commands--now I speak neutral-accent English, and the computer still misses alot of commands. Plus, (besides this forum) why doesn't Lexus publish a list of all the commands. Pointless to have this expensive gadget if I don't know all the functions.

So why not use the forum and get the informaion you need?

7. Nav. Seen better units in Acura. Again, why the need to "hack" to be able to enter adressess while moving?

Lexus sees it as a safely issue, you don't

8. Stupid features--radio on, some stations display a message (track, artist, etc.) Naturally, Lexus instead displays a large message that it can't display the message while moving. (Department of redundancy department )

NO comment, seems to work for me

9. The extra delayed wipe when using the windshield washer. Basically smears my otherwise clean windshield. Can this be turned off?

I love this feature, it catches the last runoff from the previous wipes.

10. Doors lock automatically when I press the key fob. I'm walking to my car, arms full of stuff, and hit the fob to open the door. Car decides to lock the doors again, because I'm not fast enough. I unlocked the f'in door, stay unlocked!!

Solution? Hit the key fob a little later and the doors won't lock on you. Where's the problem?

11. Manual translated poorly. After selling cars for 40(?) years in N.Amer, you think Toyota would finally stop writing English that has been poorly translated from Japanese--hire someone here that speaks English.

Maybe yes, maybe no. I'm American and have not found anything wrong with the way it's written

Anyway, I think I'm gonna trade her in, and take the hit.
Your money, your call. Good luck on the road of life....
Old 04-04-07, 05:30 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you sohuld of caught these problems when you test drove the car. don't blame lexus for your needs.
Old 04-04-07, 05:55 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Great, another Bmw rehab. You claim to be a Lexus owner, yet you come on CL and start negatively comparing the IS to a 540 (huh?) - is this a fair apples-apples comparison ? I've owned a E36 and can state from experience that I'll never own another german car out of warranty again, but you won't see me loggin on Bmw forums to rip on their lack of reliability or their high maintenance costs outside of warranty. Lexus is what it is, and if you thought the new IS was the 2nd coming of the 2002i, well you put yourself into a poor purchase decision. I thoroughly researched all the compact sports sedans in the category before I bought - no Buyer's remorse here . . .
Old 04-04-07, 05:57 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Originally Posted by socalJD
Great, another Bmw rehab. You claim to be a Lexus owner, yet you come on CL and start negatively comparing the IS to a 540 (huh?) - is this a fair apples-apples comparison ? I've owned a E36 and can state from experience that I'll never own another german car out of warranty again, but you won't see me loggin on Bmw forums to rip on their lack of reliability or their high maintenance costs outside of warranty. Lexus is what it is, and if you thought the new IS was the 2nd coming of the 2002i, well you put yourself into a poor purchase decision. I thoroughly researched all the compact sports sedans in the category before I bought - no Buyer's remorse here . . .
cold blooded. too bad you guys got the same name!
Old 04-04-07, 05:59 PM
lexudv
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ron_is350
damn, 3 other people with the seat probleem! im also 6' and my comfortable position is leaning to the right putting pressure on the armrest. go try!
I agree with you ! I tried that and it helped a bit, but after a while that get's painful as well. Has anyone noticed that the two side pieces that hug you in the seat (Don't laught, I don't know what they're called!!) are not the same size. It looks like the driver's side is a little bit bigger than the right. The seat also seems to be a bit too high, which sometimes wont' let me see when the light turns green since the view is limited.

And for the other user that asked , No !!! you tend too not notice things when you're about to buy the car that you've been waiting to buy for a while. Come on man, you know how excited you were when you bought it !!
Old 04-04-07, 06:07 PM
Wests
Lead Lap

Those all seem like issues that should have been noticed during a thorough test drive.
Old 04-04-07, 06:08 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wanted an IS too. Problem was the car was too little inside. I made 5 visits to the dealer hoping it would fit....never did. I didn't get to test drive it. I didn't want to be swayed by the power of the 350. Don't blame Lexus for your mistake. Everyone has an opportunity to test out a car before signing on the dotted line. I think Lexus is stupid for making this beautiful cat too small. Three series Bimmers and C-Class Benzes are virtually the same size outsde but are very commfortable to sit in. Lexus could be selling a lot more but I guess they know what they're doing. I guess they only want girls and smallish guys in the IS....for some reason.

Quick Reply: Unhappy IS350 owner