Negotiate Everything at the Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-07, 02:50 PM
kkfoto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Negotiate Everything at the Dealership

Not sure if this happens to others but:

I called a local Chicago Lexus dealership and asked for labor cost for installing a (Lexus original) rear spoiler to my IS250. The service manager quoted me for 1 hour of labor at $108 / hour. I drove up there the next day and he said it will be 2 hours = $216.

I told him that someone quoted me for 1 hour, so he said I was misquoted but he will do for 1 1/2 hours = $162. I said ok let just do it.

I watched the installer did it in 20 minutes..and saw him walking around and talking to other customers for another 20 minutes. Finally, the service manager came out and said my car is ready and it will be $162. I asked him how can it be 1 1/2 hours of billing while I was physically in his dealership for less than 45 minutes. He told me that it was agreed at 1 1/2 hours, and I said no way. So he went out and spoke to the installer, came back 10 minutes later and decided to charge me for only $108. That was ridiculous.
Old 03-28-07, 02:54 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job! Damn stealerships there no good. Dead beats. You showed them.
Old 03-28-07, 03:45 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kkfoto
Not sure if this happens to others but:

I called a local Chicago Lexus dealership and asked for labor cost for installing a (Lexus original) rear spoiler to my IS250. The service manager quoted me for 1 hour of labor at $108 / hour. I drove up there the next day and he said it will be 2 hours = $216.

I told him that someone quoted me for 1 hour, so he said I was misquoted but he will do for 1 1/2 hours = $162. I said ok let just do it.

I watched the installer did it in 20 minutes..and saw him walking around and talking to other customers for another 20 minutes. Finally, the service manager came out and said my car is ready and it will be $162. I asked him how can it be 1 1/2 hours of billing while I was physically in his dealership for less than 45 minutes. He told me that it was agreed at 1 1/2 hours, and I said no way. So he went out and spoke to the installer, came back 10 minutes later and decided to charge me for only $108. That was ridiculous.
you should have told them to charge you the labor for 20 minutes!
Old 03-28-07, 04:27 PM
Axvel
Driver

wow i was quoted $999.00 including spoiler for 3 hours of work for 06 is350 black at Van Nuys Dealership! I hate them now you say you only paid 162$? WOW
Old 03-28-07, 04:39 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kickin8
That was my thought as well. I bill my time hourly, and it would be both dishonest and unethical to round up 20 minutes to an hour. If the dealer states that they charge hourly for installs, then they should honor their own policy.
Old 03-28-07, 04:43 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 256 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by kickin8
Unfortunately dealer labor charges, even at an honest dealer, are not based on how long it takes the technician to perform the repair. Instead it is based on numbers provided by auto repair labor estimating software. (Called the "book labor time" from days before computers). Without the software, different customers would pay different prices for the same repair depending on the speed and experience of the technician.
Old 03-28-07, 05:32 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The Lexus Rate Book should have stated what the recommended time is for a spoiler installation. I'd guess it was no more than an hour. The order writer was just jacking the price up. Good thing you fought it.
Old 03-28-07, 07:02 PM
kkfoto
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Axvel
wow i was quoted $999.00 including spoiler for 3 hours of work for 06 is350 black at Van Nuys Dealership! I hate them now you say you only paid 162$? WOW

I paid $190 for my spoiler online from a Texas Lexus dealership, and $108 for installation so the whole project costs less than $308...which is reasonable.
Old 03-28-07, 07:22 PM
gassman
Pole Position

They are there to sell cars first and sell cars second and service cars third, unless they can make a buck off you.
Old 03-28-07, 07:37 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Call Lexus Corp and report the incident.......
Old 03-28-07, 08:02 PM
l1tech
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What if the the install would have taken 3 hours, would you have paid the extra hour it took them if they asked for it or said no way you said it would only take 2 hours? Chances are you would have said heck no I ain't gonna pay you any more than what you said...funny how that door only swings one way. Don't get me wrong I think that they went high on the estimate but then again I have never installed a spoiler on one of these so I can't say for sure. There are alot of jobs that I do that are billed at 3 hours "book time" but I can do them in 1 or 1.5 hours because I have done alot of them and I also have the tools and have learned the short cuts to doing the job, is it fair that I get penalized 2 hours of pay because I figured out how to do the job more efficently, after all doctors, lawyers, computer professionals, engineers and so forth get paid for their experience and knowledge so why shouldn't mechanics who have figured "it" out be afforded the same professionalism.
Old 03-28-07, 10:24 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

that doesnt surprise me. i took in my gf accord to the honda dealer for regular service, battery was going bad, i bought a new one and told them on install it while they were servicing the car. they tried to chrge me 1 hour labor for the install. argued with them and they agreed to charge just 5 bucks. point is always call around b4 getting work especially aftermarket stuff. and dont hesitate to get management is you are having trouble with the service department.
Old 03-29-07, 02:04 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I get what people are saying about standard book time, but is that really legal? Why is it that a lawyer, or other profession can't over bill his client for hours worked but a mechanic shop or dealership can? How can it be legal in one profession and illegal in another? I myself would be okay paying the book time even if it took a shorter time, just as long as I still pay the book time if it took longer. However, I'm just wondering why there are such difference in applied law for different professions.
Old 03-29-07, 04:02 AM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Axvel

The next time tell them to give you the quotation in written. Then call Toyota North America an acuse them with the evidence of illegal and discriminatory practices.

I'm sure, they will get their asses kit by someone in Toyota North. It is worse if they are the only dealer available in your location because you can add to the accusation, Monopoly practices.

Remmeber to get other quotations for less money of other dealers in other cities or states.

Last edited by warrionex; 03-29-07 at 04:06 AM.
Old 03-29-07, 04:15 AM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I get what people are saying about standard book time, but is that really legal? Why is it that a lawyer, or other profession can't over bill his client for hours worked but a mechanic shop or dealership can? How can it be legal in one profession and illegal in another? I myself would be okay paying the book time even if it took a shorter time, just as long as I still pay the book time if it took longer. However, I'm just wondering why there are such difference in applied law for different professions.
Standard book time = actual time worked

It is not legal in any profession. They do it because people are absent when the mechanic is doing the service and obviously you can't verify how much time it took to get the job done.

If you can prove someone overbills you, you have legal cause of action against that person.

Last edited by warrionex; 03-30-07 at 02:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Negotiate Everything at the Dealership