IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What seems to be the most popular IS250? new member by the way

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-07, 10:21 PM
mikeyp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What seems to be the most popular IS250? new member by the way

I'm thinking about the IS250 full wheel drive. I live in Maryland and don't get a ton of snow, but enough that I'd rather have the FWD vs. RWD. This will be my only vehicle. How does the FWD handle in a snow and other inclement weather?

I've been looking on the Lexus website and the packages confuse me a little. Do you need to buy everything together in a package?
Old 03-22-07, 10:32 PM
mikeyp
Driver School Candidate

Forgot to ask this.

Will the 6 speed manual with a good set of winter tires handle almost as well as the AWD?
Old 03-22-07, 10:49 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

How does the FWD handle in a snow and other inclement weather?
I think you mean AWD, not FWD (front wheel drive).
Old 03-22-07, 10:58 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

not too sure about the AWD/foul weather issue, since i have RWD and out here in los angeles.

but yes, start with the drive type, and a few features that you need or don't need. that will determine your "package" or, of course, you can special order, but an AWD special order would seem to take 4-6 months wait time.

for instance, do you want a rear sunshade? or how about illuminated door sills? or the famed NAV? questions like that will help you land on a package. i can remember on the website that black leather was offered with breakwater blue, which us BWB type know that this is not true, so phil S/O'd the sucker!

goodluck! i love my 250!
Old 03-23-07, 05:32 AM
mikeyp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TimboIS
I think you mean AWD, not FWD (front wheel drive).
Yes, you're right. It was late when I typed that. I meant AWD
Old 03-23-07, 05:46 AM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my opinion, RWD auto or manual with a good set of winter tires will get you through the snow just as well as an AWD. If i'm not mistaken, AWD comes with all seasons right? I'd take RWD with winter tires over AWD with all seasons any day.

one catch....you have to truly know how to drive a RWD car in the snow!

I've driven a few trucks before this, and the only time i've ever used 4wd is to get myself through a snowbank or just playing around.

get the 350!! you will love the extra HP. I sure know i would have kicked myself for not getting the 350 based on the fact that i drive in the snow maybe 5 times a winter...and i'm in MA
Old 03-23-07, 05:59 AM
acbrisker
Driver

I live in MD also, and opted to get the RWD. I love the staggered look, and didn't think the little snow we get each year justified getting an AWD. I'd rather put the extra $$ into mods, etc.
Old 03-23-07, 08:03 AM
mikeyp
Driver School Candidate

How did it handle with the weather we had last Friday?
Old 03-23-07, 08:12 AM
acbrisker
Driver

Originally Posted by mikeyp
How did it handle with the weather we had last Friday?
I actually don't have the car yet ... it's being shipped from Los Angeles ... but, most of the roads in and around the DC Metro area were fully plowed, and I'm sure it would have handled just fine. I've always owned RWD cars; from Mustangs to 300zs ... if it's really bad out, I shouldn't be on the road!
Old 03-23-07, 08:14 AM
mikeyp
Driver School Candidate

What do you consider really bad? Even if we get six inches of snow I still need to go to work.
Old 03-23-07, 08:19 AM
acbrisker
Driver

Originally Posted by mikeyp
What do you consider really bad? Even if we get six inches of snow I still need to go to work.
If there's six inches of snow, I would find an alternative ... taking the bus or metro to work. If that's a major concern of yours, then I would opt for the AWD. I have an old 'beater' car that I plan to drive during bad weather ... depending on where you live, most, if not all major roads are cleared at the hint of snow ... which is why I'm not too concerned.
Old 03-23-07, 09:15 AM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

MikeYP,

I have had AWD IS for almost a year now and I live on the eastern shore of MD around 30 miles from DC.

So let me give you my opinion:

The car handles really well on last Friday (when it was snowing badly) and other worst snowy days this past winter. I have never lost any traction, never slides, never fishtail, never had problems on inclines or anything like that.

I drive the IS both on well-plough roads under flurrish (highway, 60-80mph) and also some not-yet-cleaned-snow-icy-smaller mountain roads (40-60mph) on my way to work. And the AWD is something I can depend on when I need to be somewhere on such days. I highly recommend you to get the AWD if horsepower is not your main concern and if the IS going to be your only vehicle in MD.

Comparing to the AWD from my previous SUV (Nissan Murano), the IS' AWD is comparable in terms of it capability on the snow and slippery condition. The only problem is the IS' ground clearance. So if the snow accumulation is more than 8 inches and the road will not be ploughed, I will not drive the IS :-).

Comparing to my other RWD vehicle (BMW Z3 and 02'Miata), the IS's AWD is suprisingly well tuned: AWD with RWD biased. Mostly it will drive like RWD (which is still fun), and when traction on the front wheels are needed the AWD will shift the torque accordingly to them. With the AWD, I take those road bends (curves) at higher speed since it provides extra grip as you accelerate to exit those corners.
I drove her on the SKYLINE DRIVE in Virginia, and it performed magnificently on the twisties.

Yes, the AWD is heavier than the RWD IS.
IS250 RWD is already relatively 'weak' on HP, the AWD is going to make the IS250 even slower. In my opinion, if HP is important I'll get the IS350 :-).

The IS250AWD is priced relatively close to the IS350.
The IS250AWD comes with all season tires.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you.

Last edited by SugarRush; 03-23-07 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-23-07, 09:20 AM
iobidder
Pole Position

Get AWD, it is not just snow in Maryland, but the freezing rain and sleet that will get you.
Old 03-23-07, 09:48 AM
neova
Pole Position

I've owned an AWD car now my IS250 RWD.

Tires help with traction, to help with starting/stopping. Drivewheels determine stability, while the car is in motion and during changes in direction (i.e. turning)

Doesn't matter what car you drive, snow tires are required in snow conditions. RWD with snows are adequate for winter conditions, but once your car is in motion you always feel like the car isn't very stable and the nose will have a tendency to head in various directions because afterall you're pusing a 3,000lb object from the back in the snow, with the nose lacking directional stability. FWD is better in the snow because you're pulling thru it..

Obviously, AWD with snow tires is the best. But you'll have to do without the 18" sports package and no 6MT. I was dissappointed with Lexus' packaging because I wanted a Manual AWD, but had to settle for the IS250 RWD because the 6MT was more important to me and I was willing to accept the trade off. I could have gone for a 328xi 6MT or an A4Q 2.0 6MT but didn't want a car that would be expensive to maintain after factory warranty expires.

Go with the AWD if you want better directional stability in winter/wet driving situations.
Old 03-23-07, 04:07 PM
mikeyp
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the suggestions.

It's a toss up. It's not like we get that much snow in Maryalnd. On top of that, I'd much rather have a manual than an automatic.

Do you think the RWD 6M will be ok if I put on winter tires November - March? I guess I just won't be driving any where if we get more than 2-3 inches.

Quick Reply: What seems to be the most popular IS250? new member by the way