IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Front door closing sound

Old 03-22-07, 06:53 PM
NGG
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front door closing sound

My 07 IS350 rear doors close with a muted expensive "thud" sound (Standing outside while closing). The front doors have a more metalic sound, as though something is loose. It is not quite a rattle and does not seem to come from the door mounted mirror. Tried the front doors on another IS and they sounded just like my rears.

Anyone have this condition? What is the fix? Thanks.
Old 03-22-07, 07:07 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NGG
My 07 IS350 rear doors close with a muted expensive "thud" sound (Standing outside while closing). The front doors have a more metalic sound, as though something is loose. It is not quite a rattle and does not seem to come from the door mounted mirror. Tried the front doors on another IS and they sounded just like my rears.

Anyone have this condition? What is the fix? Thanks.
An Ipod with its earphone will fix it! My mom told me Ipod can fix anything!!

Ok.. lol..
Just take it to dealer and they should fix it for free. If not, they will give you a nice story.
Old 03-22-07, 07:24 PM
NGG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by josephdoc
Just take it to dealer and they should fix it for free. If not, they will give you a nice story.
Yes, I know that. But before I have them go pulling off door panels trying to
locate cause, it would be better to know for sure, especially if it is something simple that does not require door panel removal. Thanks for the response.
Old 03-22-07, 07:28 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are any of the windows or sunroof opened? If it brothers you enough, you can Dynamat it like me. I did a DIY on the process. Do a search of "Dynamat".

Old 03-22-07, 07:38 PM
NGG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
Are any of the windows or sunroof opened? If it brothers you enough, you can Dynamat it like me. I did a DIY on the process. Do a search of "Dynamat".

No sunroof (did not want leaks and rattles associated with it). Will double check windows, but don't think that is problem area. Yes, I know Dynamat will reduce ambient road noise, and mitigate any sounds coming from "loose" components but I was hoping not to have dealer pull panels ...not sure if they will be scuff/mark free after reinstall. Thanks for help and great pics.
Old 03-22-07, 08:24 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Did you check the storage compartment in the door?
Old 03-22-07, 09:06 PM
NGG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
Did you check the storage compartment in the door?
Will do.

I also noticed if I held the external handle in the open position and tried to close the door (of course it won't latch) it sounds just like the rear doors..nicr thud. Not sute if this means that the latch mechanism is the problem area. Guess that I will have to depend on the dealer to determine cause. Damn, just don't want those door panels pulled.

Thanks for your suggestion. Will advise outcome.
Old 03-22-07, 11:05 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

BOTH of the front doors make the same metal sound? nothing like that here, just a nice whop! but not as deep sounding at the rear doors which sound like a phop!
Old 03-23-07, 02:42 AM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX

Wow! Did the dynamat in the doors help in reducing any type of noise ie road, traffic noise?
Old 03-23-07, 08:19 AM
NGG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hapaboy
BOTH of the front doors make the same metal sound? nothing like that here, just a nice whop! but not as deep sounding at the rear doors which sound like a phop!
Yep, both front doors, but louder/more noticable on driver's door. Think it is lock/latch related. Guess I will have to depend on dealer to isolate/fix. Like your sound discriptors; whop and phop. Wonder if the latter is a real word.
Old 03-23-07, 08:49 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

excellent job Dj_AmTraX, we should petition to lexus that dynamat the doors should become standard equipment!
Old 01-07-16, 08:35 AM
Soledad
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Pulling this one up from the dead. A necro bump if you will.

I purchased a 2008 IS350 with 60k miles on it in November but haven't gotten to drive it much yet. I'm still getting used to it and figuring out all of it's rattles, quirks, nuances and etc.

One thing I've noticed is that the rear doors and passenger side front door all have a nice expensive sounding "thud" or "wump" when closing. However, my drivers side front door sounds thin and flimsy when it closes. Kind of like a hollow shell of a door. It's not hard to close at all though and it's just as easy as the other three.

My thought is that maybe the front driver side door sounds this way when closing because it gets used the most and wears out the door seal a lot faster than the other doors. Or the locking mechanism has moved a smidgen inward and is pulling the door in further to the body causing it to close harder and compress the door seal a lot more. I may pull the door panel off to see if it's missing anything like the plastic weather seal or maybe has been worked on in the past.

Any way, I was wondering if others have experienced this and what they did to remedy it. The car looks amazing but when closing this door it makes it sound like I'm driving a rusted out beater.

Thanks!!
Old 01-07-16, 01:06 PM
See5
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Soledad
Pulling this one up from the dead. A necro bump if you will.

I purchased a 2008 IS350 with 60k miles on it in November but haven't gotten to drive it much yet. I'm still getting used to it and figuring out all of it's rattles, quirks, nuances and etc.

One thing I've noticed is that the rear doors and passenger side front door all have a nice expensive sounding "thud" or "wump" when closing. However, my drivers side front door sounds thin and flimsy when it closes. Kind of like a hollow shell of a door. It's not hard to close at all though and it's just as easy as the other three.

My thought is that maybe the front driver side door sounds this way when closing because it gets used the most and wears out the door seal a lot faster than the other doors. Or the locking mechanism has moved a smidgen inward and is pulling the door in further to the body causing it to close harder and compress the door seal a lot more. I may pull the door panel off to see if it's missing anything like the plastic weather seal or maybe has been worked on in the past.

Any way, I was wondering if others have experienced this and what they did to remedy it. The car looks amazing but when closing this door it makes it sound like I'm driving a rusted out beater.

Thanks!!
Same thing with my 2007 IS350

Rear are quieter than front, they give you a nice feedback as if they were new.
Front doors however ( specially the driver door) give a feedback as if it were slammed, and front doors feel lighter !.

I suspect it is related to one of the door seals but which one, who knows. Unless someone figured it out...
Old 01-07-16, 02:41 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Did you check the door hinge? It sound like your door hinge a bit drop down. Bodyshop could adjust it back to spec for around $20
Old 01-08-16, 08:42 AM
Soledad
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmmm....I didn't look at the door hinge. I'll have to check that out this weekend. At a quick glance the door seems to be aligned properly but I will definitely double check more thoroughly when I have time. Thanks!