IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Safety features debate - Let's get it on...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-08, 05:53 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Technique
What if you want to search by POI Name? Do you spell out the name of the restaurant or whatever? I still need the override, voice will never be a substitute for the touch screen...
Not to bring up an old topic that we’ve beaten to the ground, but I’ve noticed too that on my G37 voice recognition does about the same as manual inputs and is much faster. It certainly is safer. Perhaps it’s time you should admit that as voice recognition systems improve there is no longer a need for overrides.
Old 12-20-08, 08:06 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan
...Perhaps it’s time you should admit that as voice recognition systems improve there is no longer a need for overrides.
Never... You are totally wrong... The correct answer is that voice recognition is useless... I mostly enter POI names, so voice recognition is worthless for that... Also, I frequently have multiple people in the car and I don't want to tell them to be quiet just so I can use voice commands... So again, voice commands = useless... I have a better nav system than you do because I have FULL functionality over the entire system 100% of the time...

The end result is that override is great, and I will always hack my nav to have 100% functionality at all times... I will also always help everyone else I can to hack their navs to have 100% functionality at all times... All my friends cars, regardless of what they drive, I have helped them hack their navs...

Anyone wants help hacking your nav system? Feel free to message me, I am happy to help... It's easy, and you will have 100% use of your car's navigation system and features...

Old 12-20-08, 10:46 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Technique,
I’m not wrong and time will prove my point. There are already other forums that do not allow posts on hacking because of the liability issue. I’m frankly surprised that CL, and yourself for that matter, is still willing to take the risk of being held liable to some extent should there be a major road accident caused by a hacked Lexus where it was found that the hack information came from this forum. At any rate, in a short period of time every criticism you have about voice recognition will be moot as voice functionality continues to improve.

When FULL functionality comes as standard equipment on all nav cars, which will certainly come in a short time, there will be nothing to hack, and you be forced to find another prestigious theme, so to speak, other than as CL’s chief hacking consultant.
Old 12-21-08, 08:06 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Magellan
Technique,
I’m not wrong and time will prove my point. There are already other forums that do not allow posts on hacking because of the liability issue. I’m frankly surprised that CL, and yourself for that matter, is still willing to take the risk of being held liable to some extent should there be a major road accident caused by a hacked Lexus where it was found that the hack information came from this forum. At any rate, in a short period of time every criticism you have about voice recognition will be moot as voice functionality continues to improve.

When FULL functionality comes as standard equipment on all nav cars, which will certainly come in a short time, there will be nothing to hack, and you be forced to find another prestigious theme, so to speak, other than as CL’s chief hacking consultant.
Never... You are completely wrong... And this is wrong thread to be discussing this in... It's been moved to the safety discussion thread... Don't thread hiijack again, please...
Old 12-21-08, 05:55 PM
RA030724
Pit Crew

On the seat belt buzzer, that should not be an issue as there are instructions on how to easily turn it off in the manual which I did first day on my IS250. At least Lexus allows this. My wife bought a 2008 RAV4 and the owner cannot turn it off. It is an option in the c-best settings, but good luck in getting the Toyota dealer to change it. Never understood why some Lexus and Toyota cars (of the same year) allow the owner to control the seat belt alarm, others not.