IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Safety features debate - Let's get it on...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-07, 03:44 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The buzzer goes off because unbelted drivers are far more likely to be killed by airbags than belted drivers. They don't want to be sued for your death. Even if they win, they have to waste all that money defending themselves. It amazes me how frequently car manufacturers are sued for failing to engineer one leg of the safety triangle sufficiently safe to negate any ill effects of the other two legs (driver behaviour and road conditions are the other two legs).
Doesn’t this same logic apply to the nav restriction of no manual inputs while moving? I’ve heard over and over again about how other manufacturers allow it but not Toyota. Other manufacturers, with only a brief seat belt buzzer, also equip their cars with air bags. Do they not care about being sued on either of those issues? And if only Toyota cares, is that really a bad thing?
Old 03-22-07, 05:39 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You know, the one safety device that would save the most lives is if every car came with the ignition breath alcohol lock... Prevent drunk drivers from even cranking up their cars... I'd be all for that...

But the useless useless "safety" features Toyota puts in the cars... I mean, comon, no caller ID display while the car is moving??? That's so retarded... Well, they are all retarded, but on a retarded scale, it's near the very top
Old 03-22-07, 06:44 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Technique
You know, the one safety device that would save the most lives is if every car came with the ignition breath alcohol lock... Prevent drunk drivers from even cranking up their cars... I'd be all for that...

But the useless useless "safety" features Toyota puts in the cars... I mean, comon, no caller ID display while the car is moving??? That's so retarded... Well, they are all retarded, but on a retarded scale, it's near the very top
Well, we can agree here. I like both those ideas.
Old 03-22-07, 07:15 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan
Doesn’t this same logic apply to the nav restriction of no manual inputs while moving? I’ve heard over and over again about how other manufacturers allow it but not Toyota. Other manufacturers, with only a brief seat belt buzzer, also equip their cars with air bags. Do they not care about being sued on either of those issues? And if only Toyota cares, is that really a bad thing?
It's a double edged sword. Toyota is probably the most conservative of the car companies from an engineering perspective. This means you can (not always, but more than likely) double the engine's output using the OEM long block without a worry about failures. At the same time, this same attitude means they will pre-emptively strike in favor of avoiding litigation. Which is why they have gone the route they have with the seat belt warning and the navigation restrictions. We just can't have our cake and eat it too.

Thankfully, we are allowed to turn off the incessant noise if we are resourceful and motivated. If you have the older version of the navigation system, you also have an option. As the options are taken away, I know I will seek other manufacturers products, or I will just not buy the OEM product and plan to purchase an aftermarket piece without all the restrictions. I have also stated this in very plain language to Lexus/Toyota. Still, they are hitting their sales numbers, so I doubt my complaint will generate any change.
Old 03-22-07, 07:34 PM
homer4598
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The buzzer goes off because unbelted drivers are far more likely to be killed by airbags than belted drivers. They don't want to be sued for your death. Even if they win, they have to waste all that money defending themselves. It amazes me how frequently car manufacturers are sued for failing to engineer one leg of the safety triangle sufficiently safe to negate any ill effects of the other two legs (driver behaviour and road conditions are the other two legs).

I understand why it goes off (though I guess every OTHER car is defective). Luckily for me I wear my seat belt when I drive AND I can disable the buzzer so I don't have to hear when sitting in my car not buckled up.
Old 03-22-07, 07:36 PM
homer4598
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Magellan
Perhaps a good idea, but not very workable. First of all, issuing drivers’ licenses is a State function, and I, for one, do not want to create any more federal bureaucracies than necessary.

But the real dilemma here is that you will have many people pass a tougher standard but still kill themselves on the highway anyway. I’m thinking mostly of young drivers, typically teens, who have the skill but lack the proper attitude as they drag race down public streets. You can’t really create a test for that. And then you’ll have the older drivers who can pass any test you throw at them and then go out and drive drunk. How do you stop that?

And frankly, and I may hold a minority opinion here on CL, those who are quick to trash current safety devices also need to improve their attitude regarding safe driving.

The safety nannies aren't going to stop people (teens or older) from drag racing down public streets. If that's the concern, the easy remedy is to mandate an HP ceiling -- say 80HP. No other cars allowed on the road.
Old 03-22-07, 07:40 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Speaking of useless, what about the speed limiters on our car!! That is yet ANOTHER annoying safety feature I can't stand... I think it kicks in just shy of 150MPH (indicated)... How stupid is that? Are they saying that it's safe to drive 145MPH dangerous to drive 150 MPH?

The real danger is when these limiters kick in at those high speeds... When you are going over 130MPH the last thing you want is any abrupt changes, such as a fuel cut off/rev limiter!!! That's dangerous...

If the manufactures will impose speed limiters, they should be like 90MPH or something...
Old 03-22-07, 08:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

There are LOTS of things the manufacturers could do to limit performance. If your driver's license were a smart card, the security system could actually look at your driving experience (based on what gets stored on the card) and limit the car's performance to an appropriate skill level. Like, you've had your license less than 5 years, so your top speed is limited to 75 mph, and the rate of acceleration is limited to no quicker than 0 - 60 in 12 seconds. Regardless of the power available. The technology exists. It's just a matter of time. Or, the real time traffic monitoring project will kick off and your ECM will be sending speed, course, and heading data to a central datastore where it can be checked for legal compliance, and the data mined for marketing purposes. Yes, this is a real project the federal government has been funding since 1991 with billions of our tax dollars. It's the next step "for our own good" http://www.vehicle-infrastructure.org/WhatsVII.htm

If only it could get the slow pokes causing the traffic jams to step on the gas and get out of the way. That will never happen.
Old 03-23-07, 12:34 PM
mdchachi
Driver School Candidate

Japanese manufacturers tend to follow the Japanese (JAMA) guidelines regarding these systems hence the restrictions that you see. As the quote below mentions, the guidelines themselves are lacking. But at least they're making some attempt to keep us from killing ourselves.

http://hcilab.uniud.it/publications/...NOLOGIES04.pdf

JAMA (Japan Automobile Manufacturers’ Association) [JAMA, 2000]; although not mandatory, all 11 Japanese vehicle manufacturers comply with them and encourage their widespread adoption all over the world. They are far more restrictive than all the other guidelines. Among other things, when a vehicle is in motion, they prohibit to present the driver with:
§ images of television broadcasts or video playback;
§ phone numbers and addresses as guiding information;
§ introductions to restaurants and hotels, although pictures showing their location may be presented;
§ scrolling characters;
§ messages longer than 31 characters, excluding punctuation and units;
§ complex operations, like destination entry.
However, the JAMA guidelines are lacking with respect to the following aspects:
§ supporting documentation explaining the empirical basis for each guideline;
§ general references to previous research;
§ details about test data, i.e.,
- driver’s tasks (with pictures of the interfaces);
- vehicles and streets types;
- instructions given to subjects;
- measures used;
- statistical analysis;
§ they are based on Japanese driving conditions.
Old 03-23-07, 01:13 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mdchachi
Japanese manufacturers tend to follow the Japanese (JAMA) guidelines regarding these systems hence the restrictions that you see. As the quote below mentions, the guidelines themselves are lacking. But at least they're making some attempt to keep us from killing ourselves.

http://hcilab.uniud.it/publications/...NOLOGIES04.pdf

JAMA (Japan Automobile Manufacturers’ Association) [JAMA, 2000]; although not mandatory, all 11 Japanese vehicle manufacturers comply with them and encourage their widespread adoption all over the world. They are far more restrictive than all the other guidelines. Among other things, when a vehicle is in motion, they prohibit to present the driver with:
§ images of television broadcasts or video playback;
§ phone numbers and addresses as guiding information;
§ introductions to restaurants and hotels, although pictures showing their location may be presented;
§ scrolling characters;
§ messages longer than 31 characters, excluding punctuation and units;
§ complex operations, like destination entry.
However, the JAMA guidelines are lacking with respect to the following aspects:
§ supporting documentation explaining the empirical basis for each guideline;
§ general references to previous research;
§ details about test data, i.e.,
- driver’s tasks (with pictures of the interfaces);
- vehicles and streets types;
- instructions given to subjects;
- measures used;
- statistical analysis;
§ they are based on Japanese driving conditions.
Very interesting!!! I guess Honda/Acura is giving the middle finger to the JAMA!!! I love Honda/Acura even more now...
Old 03-23-07, 02:06 PM
mdchachi
Driver School Candidate

Very interesting!!! I guess Honda/Acura is giving the middle finger to the JAMA!!! I love Honda/Acura even more now...
Not in Japan. They toe the line there.
Old 03-23-07, 02:14 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Hold on there partner, not necessarily. The Honda/Acura cars I have experienced with the non-intrusive Navis were built in N. America (Mdx/Odyssey-Canada, TL/Accord-USA). I wonder if the Hondas built in Japan have intrusive Navis (RL, Tsx, S2000). If built outside of Japan, maybe JAMA doesn't apply (loophole) . . .
Old 03-23-07, 03:15 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by socalJD
Hold on there partner, not necessarily. The Honda/Acura cars I have experienced with the non-intrusive Navis were built in N. America (Mdx/Odyssey-Canada, TL/Accord-USA). I wonder if the Hondas built in Japan have intrusive Navis (RL, Tsx, S2000). If built outside of Japan, maybe JAMA doesn't apply (loophole) . . .
If that's the case then I hate Lexus EXTRA now for imposing JAMA on us here in the USA...
Old 03-23-07, 03:19 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

It's curious the Japanese manufacturers offer television in their cars when it appears JAMA specifically prohibits it.
Old 03-23-07, 03:28 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

These JAMA guidelines bring to mind some old questions:

• Are these guidelines baseless with no statistical justification?
• Are they valid only in Japan because drivers there are unskilled and careless?
• Or are they valid everywhere, but because your driving skills are so superior they don’t apply to you?

Quick Reply: Safety features debate - Let's get it on...