IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why no lsd?

Old 03-21-07, 08:58 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Many of them have a Torsen. What happens when a Torsen lifts the inside wheel? It spins. Mercilessly. It transfers ZERO torque to the outside wheel.
If my inside rear is off the ground, I really can't think of a situation where I would be wanting to put power down on the ground as I probably have my foot firmly on the brake pedal.

Who sells a clutch-type differential on a street car today? I haven't seen one in a long, long, time unless it was a club racer package not intended for street use.
Coming from a 350z/G35 background, Nismo, Cusco, Carbonetics, and at least on other company (can't think of it off the top of my head) offer clutch type LSD's for the G/Z.

And apparently, you're not clear on concept. Applying the brake is identical in function to having a clutch-type limited slip.
If it's identical and as you say 'applying the brakes is identical to a clutch-type LSD without the downside.' How many race cars do not have an LSD? Obviously, you know something that they don't...
Old 03-21-07, 09:24 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by al503
If my inside rear is off the ground, I really can't think of a situation where I would be wanting to put power down on the ground as I probably have my foot firmly on the brake pedal.
What? No tripod mode? Lifting the inside rear in an off-camber turn is EASY.

If it's identical and as you say 'applying the brakes is identical to a clutch-type LSD without the downside.' How many race cars do not have an LSD? Obviously, you know something that they don't...
Its not that he knows something they don't, its a matter of racecars being a no-compromise machine. Its ALWAYS going to have enough fluid in the diff and be properly tuned. (That's why race teams hire engineers and mechanics...) In this case, its more advisable to use a clutch-type LSD than to "waste" power on both braking and trying to drive a braked wheel. Additionally, all that hardware is asking to get fried during a hot day at the track, or from the vibrations, etc.

Any way you slice it, differentials and biasing power to the wheels with the most traction is for wussies. Real men drive shifter karts .
Old 03-21-07, 09:59 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by al503

Coming from a 350z/G35 background, Nismo, Cusco, Carbonetics, and at least on other company (can't think of it off the top of my head) offer clutch type LSD's for the G/Z.

If your inside wheel is off the ground, you need the outside wheel to be driven more than anything to help the car turn. That's the whole point of the LSD in the first place.

Those spools are ALL aftermarket. There isn't a single OEM putting a clutch type LSD in a car because they ALL wear out quickly and have difficult to maintain fluid requirements.

Race cars have their parts built and inspected typically before every race. Even serious autocrossers will check their LSD before an event, and they'll service it if it needs it. Top level competition has a newly rebuilt gearbox and newly rebuilt differential at the start of every race weekend. There are also rules against active devices that pretty much preclude using this same technology in most racing classes. It's really a shame too, because if it were allowed, we'd have alot better technology now than we do.

As a for instance - RaceLogic make an absurdly wonderful traction control. It beats ALL the OEMs hands down. If you drove an OEM traction control equipped car, you would say they basically suck ***. For sure the early versions of TRAC did. But put that RaceLogic unit in a Supra, and OMG! What an improvement. The same could be done with limited slip using brake inputs instead of fixed ratio gear units or fixed slippage clutch units. Just because the OEMs aren't spending a lot of money to do this right doesn't mean it can't be done right.

You're running out of excuses.
Old 03-21-07, 10:19 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
How do you know the IS-F doesn't have one? That information is already released?

That would be a pretty big let down... Haven't the cars they're trying to compete with had an LSD standard for years?
Hehe you must have not read my story yet...it's still on the front page of our site:

"F" Marks the Lexus Spot!

Originally Posted by Flipside909
We are a little disappointed that the IS-F does not come with a manual transmission variant and does not have a mechanical limited slip differential ( LSD) to evenly distribute the newfound 5.0L V8 power. Knowing that Lexus has spent countless hours engineering and developing the new 8 speed automatic transmission and reworking the Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) system into 3 stages of controls which include a normal, sport and a completely off mode. It’s not likely they will mess up a recipe for success.

Last edited by flipside909; 03-21-07 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-22-07, 06:18 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dmkozak
P.S. For the poster who thought electronic brake distribution was the same thing and others who want a simple explanation, listen to Marisa Tomei's explanation near the end of My Cousin Vinny.
That is posi-traction, not LSD

and the IS350 has a quasi-LSD. i forget the specific name of it, but we aren't completely without one.

if you want a funny about traction, watch the 3rd (i think) episode of Top Gear this season when they test the Brabus Rocket. They make note of how the car originally had over 1000 ft/lbs of torque, but they reduced it to ~800 because the car would sit there motionless w/ trac on as the computer said "um, this is impossible" and with trac off, well you get the idea. Funny part is even with the decreased torque the car is still practically worthless. "You have to invent a new way of driving with this car. You take your turns veeeerry sloooowly, then step on it." You won't win many races, but you'll have a grand time doing it

Last edited by uschardcor; 03-22-07 at 06:21 AM.
Old 03-22-07, 12:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Posi-traction = clutch type LSD.
Old 03-22-07, 12:22 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Once you fully disable VDIM on the IS350 and IS-F (Hold down the button for 5 seconds) though, won't/will you lose this benefit? (And I assume all magazines doing the testing will disable the VDIM for testing purposes)
Old 03-22-07, 03:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Yes, with VSC fully disabled, you will lose this feature.
Old 03-22-07, 08:40 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Thanks, Lobuxracer!
I always learn some on your posts here and there. Not sure if I can adapt and apply with your knowledge on my driving (granny speed), but I enjoy reading your posts.

You are my hero!
Old 03-22-07, 09:37 PM
blk06is350
Rookie

i could do donuts if i had a true lsd! lol..